Does anyone take ADHD stimulant meds (Adderall, Vyvanse)? Tips on reducing neurotoxicity risk?

Eg melatonin could maybe decrease it (though also make one more sleepy too). That said, past a certain dose higher doses of melatonin don’t seem to increase sleepiness, and vyvanse may just overcome this

Melatonin attenuates the amphetamine-induced decrease in vesicular monoamine transporter-2 expression in postnatal rat striatum - PubMed (10mg/kg melatonin)

Cardiac Early Repolarization Pattern Anomalies Among Children and Adolescents With and Without Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: A Community Observational Study - PMC (I have early repolarization)

here’s a good dopamine researcher btw: https://cas.illinoisstate.edu/faculty_staff/profile.php?ulid=pagarri#fs-tabs-accord3

Tbf, I know that some of the “cool people” [eg one is noted EA/AI Safety person] just take it 1x-2x per week - usually this is enough to get people to do the “high activation energy” things they need to do while not making them tolerant/dependent and it most likely drastically reduces increased risk of Parkinson’s that could happen from taking it every day as prescribed. It’s also not 100% clear if occasional cycling (esp with co-administration of melatonin) causes any damage at all, since b/c hormetic effects.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%40typedfemale%20amphetamines&src=typed_query

==

It’s also important to note that these things have appetite suppressant effects that can be pro-longevity on the rest of the body (esp if they are used to induce 48+ hour long fasts). Also it’s said by one person that using a lot of Vyvanse/Adderall seems to normalize the brain development of young kids with ADHD (at least the ones who are a mess without meds and whose brains then become ADAPTED to the condition where they’re constantly a mess - which screws up self-confidence and many many other things that are downstream)

7 Likes

I’m currently taking adderall but have not been doing it long term, just in the past few months. The only things i know to do to are basic health practices, like making exercise a priority, sleeping, and keeping my blood sugar stable. I supplement with Fish oil. Occasionally I will take melatonin before bed for potential protective effects but I do worry about regular use screwing with my hormones.

In one of the links you mentioned cannabis may have protective benifits. do you have any specific insights there that might be applied?

I would really do anything that could mitigate any damage being caused by adderall use. Ritalin and Modafinil just don’t work well.

1 Like