Do you need to shower much less if you use rapamycin?

mTOR is what makes people smell, after all…

as an intrinsically low-mTOR person, I never really smell.

2 Likes

I thought it was sweat/bacteria that caused body odors. Don’t think rapamycin addresses that. I still have to use an underarm antiperspirant.

4 Likes

Sweat (and its nastiness) + bacterial nutrients is driven by mTOR/growth

1 Like

Only people with wet earwax smell, looking at your screen name there is a big chance you have dry ear wax and no body odor anyway. I recently took 12mg with grapefruit juice and didn’t have time to shower in the morning and I definitely smelled…

3 Likes

For my entire life I always had to use Michelin anti-perspirant daily. Otherwise, severe body odor. I used Covid as an opportunity to stop using anti-perspirants. It was a horrible 4–6 weeks. But once done, I switched to an a natural anti-perspirant. If I miss a day or two no consequences.

1 Like

Very interesting about the wet or dry earwax, I had not heard that before. I produce very little earwax and what I produce is dry and flaky. I have noticed, but did not think about it in the past, that even when I work out and get a little sweaty I produce very little body odor.

1 Like

I’m not the only Asian person who doesn’t smell if I don’t shower for a while… The other I know isn’t intrinsically low-mTOR…

But I heard someone say that vegetarians smell better…

Researchers still aren’t sure how the gene affects both earwax and sweat odor, but they believe it has to do with amino acid production. Rapidly growing bacteria give sweat its smelliness, and people with the rare gene variant appear to produce less of an animo acid that engenders bacteria growth.

1 Like

Ah, but Alex, how much to you exercise to a level where you sweat? I get the feeling from your comments that you are not a person who is big into exercise. If you don’t exercise and sweat every day or two, the risk of body odor (and need for showers) goes down dramatically (I think).

7 Likes

I can assure you that people with dry earwax smell if they are in hot, humid climates.

Also, people who eat meat smell worse.

Interesting idea. Can you elaborate on this?

1 Like

@AlexKChen probably meant that high protein diet that drives mTOR, affects liver and kidneys, contributes to increased BO.

I do believe that BO depends on diet (not on skin color). I do not exercise to a degree that I sweat, even in sauna I start sweating only after 20 min. I noticed that fresh sweat is odorless. It becomes a problem when mixed with bacteria. I don’t use a deodorant on a daily basis, don’t even own one, 2 showers a day is enough for my hygiene.

the one best treatment anyone can do but for some reason don’t and that is have your underarm sweat glands removed and make sure u tell the surgeon to remove all of them then u will never have to use underarm deoderant again and the cost of that proceedure is not too high - less than a run of the mill facelift. if have trouble finding one to do it in usa go overseas. i got mine in philippines in 1984 for around $400 as i recall though sure it is more than that today. i would say u got to be nuts not to get it done unless u are really poor or in the small minority of those who never get underarm odor from those Apocrine, or more likely have very few of them, sweat glands which comes after the bacteria do their thing. Ofcourse sweat glands are not the only odor producing body functions - in addition body oil, bad breath, foot smell from confinement and moisture and many more things but that underam odor is usually the most pungent and noticeable from the largest distance away from the person. There are basically 2 kinds of sweat glands - apocrine that by far cause the most and worst odors after bacteria get to it and eccrine or epicrine which is usually not noticeably odor producing at least from a distance. The apocrine are mainly located in underarm , crotch area and some on scalp with the underarm as everyone knows are the biggest offender.

1 Like

I have a normal diet, I eat meat, not carnivore in any sense but I have never smelled. My body odor remains more or less sweet even if I don’t shower. I can wear t-shirts and pants almost indefinitely… I mostly change clothes and shower to feel better. There is nothing that invigorates me more than a shower and fresh cotton on my skin. But when I am ill or something I can go days without shower and I don’t smell. The only time that I smell, but not really me, it is the modern “performance” fabrics when I go running (stretch pants). But the cotton t-shirt is wet from sweat, but odorless. My skin remains odorless too. Sometimes after a long run my groin would get a distinct smell, but it is more or less gone in 10 minutes if I don’ get into shower. I don’t use any shampoo on my hair for years, haven’t had a shower soap too. I wash my face with a product maybe once a week or even less otherwise I just use water. I always thought it is genetics not food. I lived in different parts of the world and had different diets but my smell was more or less same.

1 Like

The best thing I did during the pandemic was to stop using antiperspirants. I used to use Mitchum, which is very powerful and contains aluminum. If I forgot to use it in the morning, it would be very noticeable by the afternoon. When I stopped, I couldn’t stand to be around myself let alone others during that 3 to 4 week period. But now body odor seems to just have disappeared.

it isn’t the only thing that makes people smell. That is false statement

Dry ear wax here, I have not used deodorant in over 40 years. 3 saunas a week and baking soda under the arm pits every morning seems to work for me.