DIY Rapamycin Toothpaste and Flossing Paste

so 6 months in, what improvement you have experienced in dental health?

1 Like

Other than my dentist raving about how my teeth always look so good (to the hygienist) on my last visit, nothing to report. This is new, however. Previously only my hygienist was complementary. I used to get ominous comments from my dentist about receding gum lines. It may be better flossing that is at work here rather than rapamycin.

1 Like

Why not a simple MCT | Rapamycin toothpaste?
Possible formulation:

• 1/4 cup MCT oil
  • Rapamycin disolved in Transcutol (as per RapAdmin suggestions)
  • 1 -1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
  • 7-15 drops of peppermint or lemon essential oil

MCT has significant anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties (and more of them than coconut oil). It may additionally support a balanced oral microbiome.

Baking soda has lower abrasion that hydrated silica, e.g:

Mohs Hardness of materials (an ordinal scale):

• Tooth enamel = 5
  • Tooth dentin/root = 3
  • Baking soda = 2.5
  • Hydrated silica in toothpaste = 5-7

The American Dental Association has published their RDA (Relative Dentin Abrasivity) to measure the abrasiveness of various toothpastes. The RDA abrasiveness categories are:

• Low 4-70 (plain water is 4. Baking soda is 7.)
  • Medium 70-100
  • High 100-150
  • Harmful 150-250

The FDA limits abrasiveness to a maximum of RDA 200. The RDA of Arm & Hammer baking soda is only 7. Whereas the most typical tooth paste will be in the 70-100 range with many far above that. THAT is how gentle baking soda is, as far as abrasion to your teeth.

This seems pretty viable.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Extending some of my earlier thoughts and digging through my biohacking notes, I came across Allerpops (note I have no connection to the company, but I have tried the things).

The founder, Cliff Hanā€™s story, (see: https://allerpops.com/about/) reads like pure biohacking.

Han developed allergies. Conventional treatments didnā€™t help. As a scientist he tried to figure it out for himself. Han eventually conjectured that an imbalance of the oral microbiome made one susceptible to allergens.

From that conjecture, he developed a prebiotic formula (delivered as a lollipop) that he thought would rebalance the oral microbiome. He claims it worked for him and others.
I tried it a few times and subjectively had some improvement.

The idea of rebalancing the oral microbiome resonates with me, because I spent a great deal of thought and energy into rebalancing my gut microbiome with very significant success (but thatā€™s another story).

Then I came across (in this thread) a mention of Michael Lustgatenā€™s oral microbiome hacking efforts. (I like his general thinking, but he introduces too many changing variables into each of his ā€œexperimentsā€)

It strikes me that oral health has a great deal to do with a balanced oral microbiome.

Conjecture:

A properly balanced oral microbiome will do most of the work to maintain oral health.

I think Han and Lustgaten may each have part of the solution.

That said, I find many of Hanā€™s key ingredients worrying:

ORGANIC CANE SUGAR, HONEY, HIGH MALTOSE NON-GMO CORN SYRUP, TREHALOSE, LACTOSE, ARGININE, CALCIUM LACTATE GLUCONATE, COCOA POWDER, HYDROGENATED COCONUT OIL, CARRAGEENAN, MANNOSE, INULIN, SALT, CINNAMON, VANILLA EXTRACT.

But Han had another ideaā€¦ knock down the bad microbiome before introducing prebiotics. Before using his Allerpops Han originally suggested:

• Scrub your tongue with a tongue scraper or wet washcloth until most of the white/yellow biofilm on the top is gone. Caution: brushing too far back may lead to a gag reflex.
  • Gargle hot (optimal 120 ĀŗF) water for about 10-20 seconds. Spit out and repeat gargling for three minutes. Your tongue should be red without any biofilm. If it isnā€™t, scrub it with the wet washcloth and gargle one more time.

I used a similar strategy to rebalance my gut microbiome - knock down the bad stuff then introduce prebiotics (e.g., resistant starch).

Could gargling and rinsing with hot water prior to brushing and or flossing with a rapamycin tooth paste amplify the good it can do?

Knocking down the unbalanced microbiome might also make the things Michael Lustgaten has tried to reduce bad stuff and increase good stuff more effective.

Rapamycin has a normalizing affect on the gut microbiome. Someone in this thread suggests it might do the same with the oral microbiome.

MCT oil has a positive affect on the gut microbiome.
Lustgaten, identified peppermint oil as useful.
Baking soda helps shift the Ph.

Add some Xylitol to the tooth|flossing paste or mouthwash?

Just some thoughts.

One more thing, I think Hanā€™s idea of rinsing/gargling with 120 degree water creates an environment for prebiotics to flourish in feeding oneā€™s heathy microbiome.

3 Likes

Thanks. This is an area of interest for me related to improving nitric oxide, although there may be additional benefits to be had on oral health.

I know that commercial mouthwashes and any toothpaste with fluoride is terrible for nitric oxide.

There are specialty products for people who want to build and maintain a healthy oral biome. The experts say a healthy oral biome will keep the bad bugs from getting out of control (cavities, periodontal disease, etc).

I donā€™t think avoiding flouride toothpaste is a good idea at all. Preferably youā€™d even choose Stannous fluoride toothpaste which is even better. Itā€™s sold as Crest/Oral-B toothpaste.

1 Like

Avoiding fluoride in your toothpaste is only a good thing if you care about nitric oxide. It is otherwise useful. But I am not prone to cavities.

2 Likes

What is your reasoning or evidence for fluoride toothpaste being a bad idea for nitric oxide? I know nitrate reducing bacteria in the mouth produce NO from dietary nitrate which is why a healthy microbiome in the mouth can help produce NO. I have never heard of evidence of fluoride influencing this.

1 Like

Donā€™t know if you watched this starting at about 8:40:

I havenā€™t and I donā€™t have the time or interest to watch a long video on this given that I have done a lot of research on nitric oxide and know how important it is for health. What I was interested in is any support for your claim that fluoride has any effect on nitric oxide production since I havenā€™t heard of that being the case and I find it to be unlikely at least at the kind of normal exposure you get from using fluoride toothpaste.

What I would say is that Nathan Bryanā€™s video reports have not explained why flouride is an issue for NO production.

I have done a bit more reading up on this and other sources have not mentioned the same things.

To me it appears that the key issue (if there is one, which probably there is as a backup system compared to the arginine system) depends mainly on the presence of nitrate reducing bacteria in the salivary microbiome.

1 Like

He says itā€™s neurotoxic, antiseptic (kills oral microbes that convert nitrate to nitrite I think), and destroys thyroid function.

Has to be exaggeration, but he does not provide any documentation.

Luckily I drink out of a farm well, so I get pesticide residue instead.

2 Likes

Probably the best route would just be to read the scientific studies he has done on the topic. He will be listed as an author in all of them.

1 Like

Exactly. Thatā€™s my conclusion too given what I have read about NO and the microbiome.

Probably the best route would just be to read the scientific studies he has done on the topic. He will be listed as an author in all of them.

Who is this ā€œheā€ here? Who published studies on fluoride negatively impacting NO production? If you know of such studies please link to some of them, thanks. Otherwise your statement remains unsupported.

1 Like

Sorry I donā€™t have time to do your homework for you. I am happy for my statement to be unsupported in your mind.

This is our problem today. Every single day, over 200,000,000 Americans get up, brush their teeth with fluoride toothpaste (which is antimicrobial) and use antiseptic mouthwash. There are over 250,000,000 million prescription written every year for antibiotics. Both practices kill the good bacteria along with the bad, putting our body at risk of a deficiency of nitric oxide production.
Good Mouth Bacteria are Necessary for Optimal Nitric Oxide Production: Are Common Dental Hygienic Practices Putting us at Risk for Heart Disease? - Dr. Nathan Bryan - Molecular medicine and nitric oxide biochemistry

Stop using mouthwash and fluoride toothpastes. Mouthwash use has been shown to kill the good nitric oxide producing bacteria and cause your blood pressure to increase as well as eradicate the benefits of exercise. Fluoride is an antiseptic, neurotoxin and disrupts normal thyroid function. Low thyroid is a major contributor to obesity and weight gain.
RESOLUTIONS TO GOOD HEALTH - KEY LEARNINGS FROM 2020 - Dr. Nathan Bryan - Molecular medicine and nitric oxide biochemistry

Stop using fluoride toothpastes. Fluoride is an antiseptic that kills the bad and good bacteria in your mouth. Fluoride is also a neurotoxin and disrupts normal thyroid function.
COVID RISK: WHAT YOU SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT DO - Dr. Nathan Bryan - Molecular medicine and nitric oxide biochemistry

If you use mouthwash or fluoride toothpaste, you must stop. Mouthwash and fluoride kill essential bacteria in the mouth responsible for production of nitric oxide.
In Heart Health Month, Don't Become Another Statistic...Improve Nitric Oxide Production

The word ā€˜flourideā€™ doesnā€™t appear in the title of any paper heā€™s authored.

Thanks. Thatā€™s what I suspected. This Dr Nathan seems to be exaggerating the potential harms of fluoride. Also he is calling it an antiseptic and recommending against fluoride toothpaste which is not reasonable since fluoride isnā€™t really an antiseptic, particularly not at concentrations found in toothpaste so brushing with fluoride toothpaste isnā€™t going to kill the NO producing bacteria found in the oral cavity. What kills the bacteria is strong mouthwashes with high concentrations of alcohol. If the fluoride exposure from using fluoride toothpaste had significant effects on killing the oral microbiome then the studies showing that NO is produced by the oral microbiome of normal people would not have shown any production of NO, since most of the people in the studies certainly brush their teeth with fluoride mouthwash daily. That fact alone is enough to conclude that any negative effect of fluoride on NO production by killing off the oral microbiome either doesnā€™t exist or is too small to be of significant effect.

1 Like