DIY Rapamycin skin cream

For those of us/you using the @desertshores -style “aqueous spray” with DMSO or transucol, are you using a plastic sprayer to apply/store? If so, won’t the DMSO pick up compounds (like plastifiers) in the plastic tube which hangs down into the container? I have bought dark glass containers with glass droppers so it only touches glass for this reason but a spray would be easier to apply to skin/hair. But I stayed away from DMSO in plastic.

Am I overthinking this with concerns of the plastic tube hanging/sitting in a (minor percentage) DMSO solution?

1 Like

Thanks. That is an excellent price for sodium PCA. I have used Twin Labs in the past but it is not pure Na-PCA.
I think I will be adding it to my next batch of Rapamycin spray.
That said, it is nothing but a temporary cosmetic effect. For those who can’t get it, don’t worry about it. It has no long-term effects that I can find. I would like to see if anyone can access a study that shows that it does.

1 Like

My understanding is the other ingredient used instead of Na PCA — hyarulonic acid — does have positive health characteristics beyond temporary water retention, including aiding in the repair of collagen-based/connective tissues. It has lower hydrating impact.

Same here. Been using Twinlab napca spray as an aftershave since Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw wrote about it in their book on life extension. I apply generously to my whole face. I’m 71 and people routinely guess my age as mid 50’s.

4 Likes

It’s an excellent product that gets absorbed immediately by skin (not like HA that doesn’t penetrate skin barrier). It can be used as a carrier for other molecules.

3 Likes

Sorry, I missed this: we can use Na PCA instead of DMSO and it carries molecules into the skin?

It does help wound healing.
“Hyaluronic acid is a macromolecule, meaning its molecules are large in terms of molecular size—too large to effectively be absorbed into the skin. Topically applied hyaluronic acid isn’t going to increase your skin’s natural stores of hyaluronic acid.”

Adding Hyaluronic Acid to Your Skincare Routine.

3 Likes

I had thought many people are using DMSO or other carriers to get molecules through the skin (generally Rapamycin). I assume if the DMSO is in the solution it isn’t specific to just the Rapamycin: if hyarulonic acid is there that might be carried through as well.

1 Like

Seems that it’s OK if the bottle is HDPE

There is a common misconception that DMSO has to be stored in glass containers. It arises from the fact that over a long period DMSO can leach chemicals out of some types of plastic. However, HDPE ( high density polyethylene ) is suitable for the long term storage of DMSO and it is packed and shipped in this by the manufacturers. If you buy DMSO in plastic containers they should be HDPE.

2 Likes

There are a bunch of Korean and Japanese skincare products that use multiple forms of HA with varying chain lengths. Some are very small to penetrate more deeply (and some users report irritation), some are long, some are medium length, and they all have different functions. It’s a selling point. They can be marketed as toners, essences, serums, or lotions and have various viscosities.

Here’s one–

https://en.isntree.com/Product/Detail/view/pid/198/cid/27

3 Likes

I wanted to make Rapa cream my self, but I wanted to use EVOO as a solvent. Crush few mgs of Rapamune and just add some EVOO … any thoughts?

no u missed the point , dmso does carry many substances of molecular weight <500.
PCA does not carry nearly as much in general but pca itself is the hydrating agent of which they are speaking without having to carry anything else with it and it penetrates the skin enough itself from what they are saying - more so than hyaluronic acid according to her or whoever.

1 Like

you may be better off trying tacrolimus and/or 4-ethoxybenzaldehyde topically though ofcourse not straight but at .1%, 1% respectively and besides distilled water need surfactants, cosurfactants, emulsifying agents etc etc. You can buy tacrolimus ointment ready made at 0.1% as i have also from Reliable in India 10g for around $15. However if u only buy that u still have to pay there $18 ship/handling fee no matter how many or much things u buy so u might as well look at their other items also though they don’t have 4-ethoxybenzaldehyde. I just bought the compound itself from china and ; rolled my own’ 1% as also did with tacrolimus. Thougth u can buy it in other places eg try india if u want. Problem had trying to buy it in usa was most have this only sell to companies though thru much searching u likely could find a usa source to sell it to you. But u can also buy it as a finished product which will take a bit more searching and the price is rather high - try cutanix…or cutanex…and others though it may be difficult to know exactly what % 4-ethoxybenzaldehyde you are getting. i really doubt you will ever find anything else than those 2 for getting rid of redness and some dark spots - will do much better than rapa for just that…

1 Like

i am almost certain i have though i can’t exactly pinpoint what it is as i have also been using tacrolimus. Prior i used only tacrolimus which definitely cut down on the reddish discolored and swelling areas but then when i also added rapa… it did something more beneficial but like i said i can’t exactly tell what it is. Except for one thing i did apply in along the frontal and sideburn and near areas and could definitely see the difference.

Bad idea. EVOO is great when digested, but it doesn’t penetrate skin. In other words, your cream will just sit on the surface of your skin. The goal is to have a carrier that would allow rapamycin absorption.

3 Likes

no u don’t know what all else is in rapamune. you need to start off with the pure powder itself which can be ordered from many chinese companies including Ali Baba,eg wrong spelling, though i have never used them myself but others have with success - it’s actually a list of many sellers. I use another. There are many many articles and patents etc. on how to make oral, injectable, topical rapa which usually don’t include olive oil. Though if u want to include for some reason for that or anything else - You can’t just use olive oil by itself that is if you want any kind of efficiency. Also use surfactants, co surfactants, emulsifying and dispersing agents etc. and maybe
some thickening agents And usually , but not necessarily always, requires vigorous and/or long time mixing much more than u can do manually . If u have the right blender and use it for hours u may be able to do that or have a mechanical stirring agent such as making a magnetic stirrer and using it for hours and perhaps also may need a little heat. The other agents u can use u can usually get enough for not too high of a price from grocery store eg walmart for xanthan gum, cmc, hpmc{i think i got it from there also} and ebay, Lab Alley and that place that was mentioned by others ‘Making cosmetics’ place from which i got a couple things also and other places. Usually only a small percentage of these things is best and in many cases even the smallest size will last you several lifetimes such as xanthan gum from walmart which i think was just under $5. For example though this is not exactly your case u may see what is generally involved in formulating such. IAJPS 2017, 4 (04), 852-860 M. J. Ansari et al ISSN 2349-7750
w w w . i a j p s . c o m Page 852
CODEN (USA): IAJPBB ISSN: 2349-7750
IINNDDOO AAMMEERRIICCAANN JJOOUURRNNAALL OOFF
PPHHAARRMMAACCEEUUTTIICCAALL SSCCIIEENNCCEESS

Available online at: http://www.iajps.com Research Article
FORMULATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF
FLUCONAZOLE LOADED OLIVE OIL NANOEMULSIONS

olive oil does penetrate skin but u don’t use it alone. So still bad idea unless formulate it also with many other things as for example i wrote in another post…

no it won’t as hyaluronic is too high molecular weight

Olive Oil is a heavy oil, so it doesn’t absorb easily into the skin , and it can also be a breeding ground for bacteria, which can cause clogged pores and acne. It’s moderately comedogenic, meaning that it is likely to clog your pores and lead to irritation or acne.

2 Likes

I would recommend transcutol. See research earlier in this thread on this compound. Its widely used in the consumer cosmetics industry and has a very good safety profile. It is available (with some difficulty) in Europe also (where I think you may be based).

3 Likes