Dissolve Rapamycin Powder in Oleic Acid (Olive Oil or Avocado Oil)?

For any experts out there, what do you think of dissolving rapamycin powder in either olive oil or avocado oil as a medium for ingestion. Rapamycin is soluble in oleic acid, but would it require extensive agitation in one of these oils to mix thoroughly? How stable would the mixture be for several months if refrigerated. Would the body easily absorb it in this manner? There may be more questions, but this could be an alternative to mixing with lactose powder. Any thoughts?

There is nothing complicated about mixing with lactose powder. Powders are mixed in the lab all the time and there are videos explaining the entire procedure if you need help. Took me 2 hours and will last me at least 3 years. Weigh mixture out every 1-2 weeks, and tip container into mouth. How hard is that? I read that Rapa can be kept in freezer and that is what I did. Then every 3-4 months measure out the powder stored in freezer into plastic container which I store in fridge. If you want better availability, and to save money use Grapefruit Juice and/or pulp. Your way in my mind is much more complicated. Good Luck

1 Like

I’d love to see an exact step by step instruction for doing this, to include ingredients and sources. Nice stuff.

Hi Jay, there are numerous good thoughts by Kerry Bell and others here on this topic. I just want to direct you do this warning on any powders from china. Chinese powders / supplements / chemicals / drugs are highly untrustworthy (some are good, but without good lab analysis its impossible to know which ones) - so I encourage people to be extremely skeptical of powdered forms of rapamycin from small Chinese companies and middlemen. (if you’re buying the powder from Pfizer, you are probably fine).

There are sources for rapamycin powder in the US, typically Lab supply companies, but I don’t know where that powder actually comes from - so something to be careful about, because again, you don’t know the contaminants and without a 3rd party lab analysis you really have no idea what’s in the powder.

I have used LC Labs (but you need a friend who works in a small company lab, or academic lab, who can purchase it for you):

But I only used this for topical cream formulation. Rapamycin in skin cream does not penetrate into the blood - so you don’t have to worry so much about contaminants.

1 Like

expert or not i think you better find the solubility or rapa in any of these oils before suggesting it.

dan_hayes:

Here is the information you wanted. I hope you find it helpful.

Search for Table 1 in the first article and find sirolimus solubility in oleic acid at 3.57 ± 0.67 mg/gram.
In the second article find that “oleic acid is the main fatty acid in olive oil and accounts for 55–83%.”
In the 3rd article find that “ln avocado oil, the main fatty acids were oleic fatty acid (47.2%).”

The Oleic/Linoleic Acid Ratio in Olive (Olea europaea L.) Fruit Mesocarp Is Mainly Controlled by OeFAD2-2 and OeFAD2-5 Genes Together With the Different Specificity of Extraplastidial Acyltransferase Enzymes - PMC.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/avocado-oil

2 Likes

ok but everyone should be advised that applies to pure rapamycin powder NOT rapamune tablets either crushed or ground up either.OK so it may be worth trying for rapamycin powder as i tend to believe ‘olive oil is absorbed into the skin and gone within 15 minutes’ internet quote more so than the ’ is heavy …’ etc. internet quote because for one what is heavy about it. It’s viscosity is less than many other oils and it is less dense than water. Though if u try it for the pure rapa, that is as pure as u can buy for the price, powder note u need also include surfactant, cosurfactant (in small proper percentages) at least also such as peg, Propylene glycol, polysorbate 80 and or …20 or cremaphor and likely also some isopropanol in small percentage for topical application. And it needs vigorous long time mixing and maybe a little heat would also help. don’t think just mixing by hand is going to be near enough. need mechanical/magnetic mixer…one can make a rudimentary magnetic mixer by getting the strong magnets out of old hardrives and a salvaged electric motor etc. as i did. Still u are likely to get some phase separation but not as much as if u only try hand mixing. Note also those emulsions delivery systems are quite difficult in general as to requiring percentages of ingredients etc. and other consierations to get anywhere near the efficiency that those articles suggest.So u would likely have to use the exact type of surfactants, cosurfactants etc.in that article or other similar artices. Also i don’t think that particular article was for topical application specifically - in fact it was for oral. But in general likely u could use olive oil in combination with other ingredients for topical and have an acceptable solution. Also note from the figure u gave that is 0.357% solubility in w/w which is quite low being less than 1 percent.And for example if assume the oleic acid is about 1/2 of the weight of olive oil and rapa has 0 solubility in the other things in olive oil then solubility of rapa in olive oil is 1/2 of that like 0.18% and if u wanted to use olive oil alone to dissolve pure rapa powder up to 0.18% and apply it to skin u likely could though ofcourse it would be quite poor but probably no worse then those who only use crushed rapamune tabs in transcutol which is extremely poor. To get any improved solubility u must have other ingredients like surfactants and/or cosurfactants etc. in water such that u have micellar microencapsulation then It would for sure be a lot better than those lame brain solutions using ground up rapamycin tablets such as rapamune with only water and transcutol. The key word here is micellar which usually means surfactants, cosurfactants etc. along with other things in water - the water content usually being atleast 30% in the final.

if rapa did penetrate into the blood it would be an extra advantage since then u would not have to take as much rapa either orally or injection or whatever.