Diarrhea from rapamycin

Sorry for the TMI, but I get terrible diarrhoea every time I take even a tiny bit of rapamycin. Seems to be slightly improved if I take a digestive enzyme.
Someone has suggested crushing the Sirolimus tabs and putting them into enteric capsules.
Can anyone see any reason this might be a bad idea?
Thanks all!

1 Like

Rapamune is already enteric coated. I don’t know about the indian generics

1 Like

Thats an unusual side effect except if you are taking high doses of rapamycin (people here have reported it when they’ve tried really high doses; like the equivalent of 20mg, 30mg, 40mg+). It sounds like you experience it even when taking 1mg (please let us know what doses you have tried).

I have no idea if putting the tablets (I wouldn’t crush them, because all the existing tablets from Biocon, Zydus, Dr. Reddy’s etc., already have some coating to protect the tablet from the stomach acids.

Some people have tried or reported the idea of putting the full tablet inside another enteric coating… I have no idea if that would help or not in your case. See this thread: Rapamycin extender: Enteric capsules skip stomach digestion, may heighten total absorbed dose

You may be just very sensitive to rapamycin. We’ve had a few people here report that they have a bad reaction to even very low rapamycin, though not with diarrhea.

5 Likes

Thanks for your advice. :slight_smile:
The rapamycin I have is Zydus : Sirolimus tablets 1mg.
I tried 1mg, 0.5mg.
Lately, I’ve been cutting them into 4 pieces to try to reduce the gastric upset. So the current dose is 0.25mg.
Thanks for the link - I’ll take a look.
Perhaps I could try the Rapamune brand if they have an enteric coating.
Appreciate your thoughts all.

2 Likes

I put them inside an enteric case. Here is the product I use, but there might be better alternatives. I take 9mg (week1), 12mg (week 2), 9 (week 3), rest rapa-holiday (week 4) - but this is just me fiddling about because when its 9mg I simply put 3 tablets in each or three capsules. When its 12mg I put 4 tablets in each (they fit a maximum of 4 in the size00):
DR T&T Acid Resistant delay Release Vegetarian Based DRcaps® Capsules Capsule size00 Size 00 Clear (100) : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

2 Likes