DHEA and Pregnenolone

What are everyone’s thoughts on DHEA supplementation? There is no doubt levels decline as we age and lower levels are associated with worse cardiac health outcomes but I also don’t see any overwhelming data that supplementing with it offsets this. I saw a mouse study from 20 years ago showing it doesn’t extend lifespan either, but that could be because mice die less frequently of cardiovascular disease.

Also what’s everyone’s take on pregnenolone? It could also raise DHEA but I don’t know to what extent.

2 Likes

This is another propping up supplementation rather than fixing things.

Do you think there’s a way to increase levels without supplementing?

1 Like

I’ve been taking pregnenolone 100 mg for a couple years. T started out at 4 something and is now 750. I thought the rise was from something else, but this makes more sense. I really didn’t know it would do that.

2 Likes

Interesting anecdote.

I’m on TRT. My DHEA-S level is around 200-220 fasted in the morning. Seems like I might want to up that a little but I worry it’ll convert to estradiol and DHT, two things I definitely don’t need more of right now.

Many of the major hormones decline with age.
How do you propose to fix it? There isn’t anything available to my knowledge that reverses aging.
In the meantime, I will be using supplements to increase my hormone levels to that of a younger person.

2 Likes

Tretinoin partially reverses aging though it comes at the cost of increasing cell divisions.