Depression and mental health: what do you use?

L-methylfolate is a form of folic acid, aka Vitamin B9, common in various vegetables. It’s part of various important chemical processes in the body, including the synthesis of serotonin, and various studies support its use in depression. Some people will try to claim that a gene called MTHFR is very relevant here, but I disagree with this and will have a page up about it eventually – the summary is that you should consider using l-methylfolate regardless of what allele of MTHFR you have. The official prescription-only version of l-methylfolate is called Deplin, and is prescription-only and more expensive, but it’s chemically identical to regular l-methylfolate which you can buy without a prescription in stores. Be careful as many stores will sell 1 mg tablets, but the recommended dose is 7.5 – 15 mg daily. - Lorien Psychiatry

This looks interesting to me, any thoughts?

1 Like

Isn’t Peter Attia taking Methyl B-9 and Methyl B-9? How is it better than “normal” B9?

Methyl B-9 is sold as prescription adjunct to anti-depressant therapy as Deplin, so it has efficacy, at 15 mg dosing. Else it wouldn’t be sold as a prescription, I suppose.

As with other forms of folate (rich in legumes and leafy greens), it can mask b-12 deficiency. I couldn’t find any side effects, except allergic reaction and interactions with medicines and things like to not take it if b12 deficient. So the risk-reward seems good.

2 Likes

I can say that NAC helped me with my OCD and glycine helped with my sleep. I don’t suffer depression or anxiety so I can’t comment on that. As for gains in cognition, I’m not sure how to prove that. IMHO, GLYNAC is a winning combination.

2 Likes

Yes, on paper, GlyNAC looks like a really safe option. Safe in the sense that glycine rodent lifespan, so at worst, it’s a placebo that makes you live longer. Hopefully GlyNAC will be tested in the ITP :pray: I started 1,050 mg GlyNAC (1:1) per day last week, I’ll report the effects…

1 Like

How old are you? Glycine probably doesn’t start declining until after 30. Glutathione levels are a proxy for both glycine and cysteine (NAC).

3 Likes

31yo :sweat_smile: Still, ~1g glycine seemed not too high to me (that’s way less than people get in their daily collagen supplement) and safe. So I wanted to try. And it does look like I sleep better now :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Then maybe you should try pairing it with 1 g of NAC to get the GSH boost?

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m doing, as I wrote above:

1 Like

I hear GGT can be an indicator of glutathione adequacy. It is also an early marker of disease risk. It’s a standard blood test.

3 Likes

Thanks. I skimmed through it. ChatGPT read it for me and concluded:

According to the study, the optimal Gamma-Glutamyltransferase (GGT) levels for adult males in terms of lower disease risk are suggested to be around 11 U/L, based on data from the Framingham Offspring Study. Another study mentioned, by Kazemi-Shirazi et al., indicated an upper range limit for the lowest risk group at 14 U/L for men. These values are considerably lower than the typical reference ranges and suggest that lower GGT levels might be associated with a reduced risk of various diseases. However, individual factors can influence these levels, and they should be interpreted within a clinical context.

Is the above correct? :thinking:

That’s my understanding also. My Quest GGT test shows the normal range to be 3-70. I’m at 13 so I’m not terrible on this marker. I believe this to also mean my glutathione is good but I’ve not found clear info on that conclusion yet.

1 Like

Do you take Glycine and NAC together at the same time?

Yes, I’m taking this. I have no idea whether this is the best way to take it or not. In the published GlyNAC studies on rodents and humans, they were taking it at the same time at a 1:1 ratio if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Didn’t know about that supplement. I was taking glycine capsule and a separate NAC capsule at the same time. Wondering if it gives the same effect.

I assume it has the same effect and that packaging it together is just a marketing trick from supplement providers :wink: That being said, it’s easier to use a single-pill combination. Solgar also sells GlyNAC in the US: https://cellularnutrition.solgar.com/cellular-protect

3 Likes

I take Psilocybin microdose and Lions mane (home grown no contaminants). Although I don’t feel I have active depression anymore (as stated in my previous reply), so I can’t speak to their benefit directly with depression, I do definitely notice a cognitive and mood benefit to these.

I get anxious less during the time I’m supplementing, it’s like it gives me a birds-eye perspective on trivial things I would have previously got caught up in emotionally. Performance at work is better, I’m more motivated. I cycle it, so i can tell when I don’t have it.

4 Likes

Headset delivers electric current to ease depression at home

A headset that can be worn at home relieves symptoms of depression to a similar degree as antidepressants

To see if people can benefit from such stimulation while using an at-home device, Fu and her colleagues tested a headset made by the Swedish firm Flow Neuroscience, which delivers tDCS to the correct parts of the forehead via electrodes. The firm sponsored the study but “had no role in data analysis, interpretation of data, decision to publish, or manuscript preparation”, the researchers write in their paper.

https://archive.ph/5zcx9

4 Likes

Maybe some social media outlets are leading people towards poor mental health?

(Except Rapamycin.news!) :wink:

3 Likes

What’s your psilocybin micro dosing protocol? Thinking about it.

1 Like