Dental surgery, stop rapamycin?

In a few weeks time I am getting a tooth implant which requires some kind of surgery I suppose.
I am on 3 mg rapa per week and have no issues yet, would it be prudent to halt rapa? Anyone know what Dr Green recommends?

Yes you should stop if you’re having a procedure as it slows down healing. I generally stop the week before.

4 Likes

I had surgery few weeks ago, forgot to stop rapamycin, continued with use afterwards and had no problems, surgeon later even commented that it healed perfectly. IDK how is it with dental procedures and bone healing, but it might even promote better healing (albeit slower…)…

2 Likes

Yes avoid unknowns, who knows about rapa, but it is a powerful drug.

3 Likes

It’s a tricky one I guess. Glad it worked out for you. It’s definitely known to slow down healing. I usually err on the side of caution, but that’s just me. I think the concern would be is that a longer healing process increases the risk of infection, which you can be more prone to taking rapa.

1 Like

Sure it is tricky, but fast healing is not always better…
It is a mixed bag really for bone surgery…

We conclude that bone surgery can be performed safely in recipients of hand allografts who are receiving sirolimus-based immunosuppressive therapy.

and

or

1 Like

I had a root canal two months ago. At that time the Dr. looked over my medicine list and when he saw Rapa on the list he “recommended” I stop taking it and wait at least 3 to 4 weeks after the procedure before starting back. I asked if he thought there was going to be a real medical problem? He said “there are a lot of unknowns and better to be cautious.” So, I was cautious.

2 Likes

How did it go with the implant? I also will need a tooth extraction with bone graft and eventual implant. I am planning to hold Rapa the week before and at least a week after.