Deeply disturbing information on combining longevity supplements

Yes, but since I’ve had allergic inclinations of asthma, I want to be careful with the risk that @RapAdmin pointed out above.

1 Like

There are some tests that have a lower limit of 0.15 and 0.16 mg/L

In the UK Medichecks has a lower limit of 0.15 and Nationwide Pathology a lower limit of 0.16mg/L.

3 Likes

It’s notoriously hard to permanently broaden the gut biome via probiotics, at least for adult people.

The gut is a very tight ecosystem where spots in the linings of the intestine’s are likely already inhabited, so finding a niche for the new strain will be very challenging.

Your best chance is mega dosing (yoghurt?) over prolonged periods of months-years, while at the same time eating more fibers from a huge variety of sources to make sure that the beneficial bacteria get good types of nutrients. (Lots of lentils, beans, whole grains, polyphenols etc) Just Inulin won’t be enough.

We have several pounds of bacteria in our gut, so those pills are literally just a drop of ink in an ocean…

1 Like

Thanks @Leonard

The interesting thing is that in this case they seems to have done a legit placebo controlled human clinical trial and saw outcome changes in 3 months.

Do you think we should doubt the data from the trial and publication?

With the publication

Are you sure of that, or is this a typo, several pounds? Being that bacteria is invisible to naked eye that would mean trillions, upon trillions, upon trillions … Don’t know about humans, but I’ve had the chance to slaughter animals for food (grew up in a farm) and if they happen to have an empty stomach there was not much in their stomachs’ that the eye could see, definitely not lbs (unless undigested food). would be interesting if there is a link on that?

1 Like

No typo…

The human body contains trillions of microorganisms — outnumbering human cells by 10 to 1. Because of their small size, however, microorganisms make up only about 1 to 3 percent of the body’s mass (in a 200-pound adult, that’s 2 to 6 pounds of bacteria), but play a vital role in human health.

2 Likes

I think that it can be wise to doubt data at times… As if effect size is super high, but the article badly written, and published in a low impact journal…

If you don’t have anything better to do with your money, I guess it’s worth a try!

Regarding people who claim “more is not better”, “disturbing info on combining supplements”, do you have arguments & sources?

1 Like

Not really. I have listened to many podcasts, and I also read a lot of articles several years ago when I started making yoghurts…

My understandng is that, like in any ecosystem, diversity is a good thing… bad diets consisting of simple starches and few sources of fiber coupled with to many treatments with antibiotics, might leave you with to much of to few bacteria strains.

While on the contrary, growing up with pets/cattle in a big family’s, and eating a huge variety of fibers and fermented food gives better conditions for developing a rich gut biome.

Many “experts” mean that supplementing prebiotics has better potential than probiotics, when it comes to altering your biome in a meaningful way. And that more is certainly not better when it’s comes to fibers… if you dont have sufficient amounts of the bacteria needed to break down the fibers it can become very, eh, uncomfortable…

Some people also claim that one has to be cautious with not consuming big amounts of probiotics likes lactobacillus etc… But I doubt that there are any real dangers. Some bacteria’s can trigger a bit of histaminergic reaction, so maybe be more careful if you are very sensitive to histamines.

When I make my own yoghurt, I ad a starter consisting of 100eds of billions of bacteria (if not more), and than let them double in amount every third hour or so, for 16-22 hours… never had any bad reaction from eating yoghurt made from any of the strains I tried…

And yes, I do believe that effects can be achieved even with the very small CFUs seen in probiotic pills, I just don’t think the effect will remain for long after you quit eating them. And I also think the effect will be bigger if you megadose over time.

I understand that living with pets/cattle has many benefits other than to do with biome. I thought that pets/cattle biome is rather dangerous if it somehow found its way inside a human?

My understanding is that many bacteria’s and parasites can be shared between animals and humans… Some of them can be really dangerous, some beneficial. The really dangerous ones seem to be under good control, even if the industrial meat productions is concerning.

I think the theory about pets being beneficial stems from the fact that people who grow up in farms or with pets have fewer allergies.

Allergies generally has its root in an overactive immune system. So… if you grow up in a perfectly sterile environment, the immune system hasn’t got anything to work with, and might go a bit havoc, syarting to attack random allergens, or even your self. Auto immunity is a sort of allergy…

The immune system and its connection to our gut biome, and exposure to different microbes is utterly complex, but I think most scientists can agree on that, while it’s not recommended ro kiss a Komodo dragon, avoiding all kinds of bacteria, or growing up on antibiotics neither is good.

1 Like

More reading on the connection between the immune system and gut biome:

3 Likes

I’ve started taking Pendulum glucose control 3 weeks ago. I’ll tell you if that reduces my A1c.
I already take acarbose which flattens my post prandial glucose peaks but my problem is my own endogenous glucose generation for which acarbose can’t do anything.

4 Likes

I seem to have the same problem, when I exercise, my glucose spikes. I’m assuming it’s from either hepatic gluconeogenesis or liberation from skeletal muscle glycogenolysis.

1 Like

Adrenaline, is my guess.

1 Like

Your probably right as long as I keep my exercise period under 10 minutes I’m normally okay blood-glucose wise.

Not sure this a negative thing / might actually be very consistent with a good health phenotype?

1 Like

I only found out about the glucose spikes when I started using CGM (FreeStyle Libre 2), and only after I added a MiaoMiao. The FreeStyle on its own just smoothed the data out too much, the MiaoMiao gives you access to something more like the raw data.

1 Like

Wow, guess I’m not the only one that has a profound respect for Brian Johnson. So many people criticize that guy saying he looks like a alien or even worse. Personally, I think he is a very giving and loving person. He has my respect.

8 Likes