David Sinclair is now using Rapamycin?

What do you take most offense with Sinclair?

Sinclair is promoting longevity - That’s a plus.
Sinclair is pushing Resveratrol - That’s a minus.
Sinclair is pushing NMN - That’s inconclusive.
Sinclair has brought attention to aging as a disease - That’s a plus.
Sinclair truly wants to help people live longer - That’s my belief.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t have known about rapa if it were not for Sinclair’s book, so for me he’s a plus.

3 Likes

David Sinclair did include a good section in his book on rapamycin, I’ll definitely give him that:

“It is for this reason that if you were to make a pilgrimage to Rapa Nui, you might come upon a small plaque at the site where S. hygroscopicus was discovered. “At this site,” the plaque reads in Portuguese, “soil samples were obtained in January 1965 that allowed the production of rapamycin, a substance that inaugurated a new era for patients who need organ transplants.”
I suspect that a larger plaque may soon be in order, because the discovery of S. hygroscopicus set into motion a tremendous amount of research, much of which is still ongoing and some of which has the potential to prolong vitality for countless other people. Because in recent years it has become clear that rapamycin isn’t just an antifungal compound and it isn’t just an immune system suppressor; it’s also one of the most consistently successful compounds for extending life.”

“Want to know what the world’s most prominent arbiters of great science think about the potential of TOR and the molecules that inhibit it [e.g. rapamycin] to change the world? The three men who discovered TOR in yeast, Joseph Heitman, Michael Hall, and Rao Movva, are on a lot of people’s shortlists for the Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology. My colleague across the river at MIT, David Sabatini, who identified mTOR, was named a Clarivate Citation Laureate for having his work cited most frequently in top-tier peer-reviewed journals; the Clarivate list has predicted more than forty Nobel Prize winners since 2002.”

Excerpt From
Lifespan
David A. Sinclair

3 Likes

except that he was pushing hard for everything else but rapamycin in all his talks, even with this interview, he is almost forced to admit.

1 Like

True… but its natural for a scientist to focus on his own work… thats what pays the bills and is his primary focus.

and - he’s been very open and positive generally about rapamycin: David Sinclair on Rapamycin

I’m just thankful that he’s finally talking about his rapamycin use. This is a big win for the rapamycin community. The higher visibility it gives rapamycin helps it become more mainstream and hopefully that will result in more clinical studies being done, and more resources going into mTOR inhibitors.

The newly released Peter Diamandis video, at the point where David Sinclair says he’s taking rapamycin (“on and off”)

4 Likes

Of course it was a ‘Certified Reiki Master’ that turned David Sinclair towards veganism.

Here’s Serena’s website https://serenaloves.com/
There is for sale there ‘healing crystals’, ‘Self-Love Jewelry’.

Is this David’s softer side we’re seeing?
I appreciate that he just goes for it. Full steam ahead. My nutritionist is a certified Reiki Master, not many can say so!

Ultimate Havard Scientist with Massive Lab + Reiki Master Nutrition.
Perfectly balanced.

Their joint venture:

They have a youtube channel here:

The person who has seen most of their videos is probably… Dr. Brenner.

3 Likes

I always thought David Sinclair has an ideal marriage, but just found out last night (if it is true) that he divorced his wife of 23 yr and hooked up with Poon who is a political sci major and now a “longevity expert” per Sinclair! And if this is true, I am hugely surprised that this is literally not written up anywhere on the internet. I am not judging him on the divorce part, just surprised. https://www.boston.com/real-estate/real-estate-news/2016/07/29/how-a-small-newton-backyard-became-a-childrens-delight-of-wildlife-and-plantings/

1 Like

I guess it’s more difficult for a renowned person to be a paradigm of virtue. Have you read about the former girlfriend of Bryan Johnson’s lawsuit? What a mess.

Their lives don’t bear up to scrutiny. And they want to extend them, to spread even more misery around than they already do.

1 Like

My only point is that for a high-profile person like that, his divorce last yr and his relationship with his new business partner Poon (longevity expert) are not mentioned at all ANYWHERE, considering when Brady split with Gisele, the internet just went wild and mostly blamed it on Brady.

1 Like

Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t… but we have to remember that people are people and people are messy. We have this idea that achieving great things in one area of life means you are equally great in every single area of life.

We are rolling disasters and to be honest, it’s amazing any of us ever get anything done. This is why the sceintific method was such an advancement in the world because it was a way to insulate science from the full brunt of human fallibility.

With the internet, we know so much more about the details of famous people’s lives. But we’re still kind of living in the old world, where we elevate some people as demigods and then act surprised when it turns out they’re just as messed up as we are.

We’re all messes, in one way or another. Maybe longevity will give us all enough time to learn and evolve into something a little better :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was happily married for 53 years.
One of the problems of working in some environments is working with attractive members of the opposite sex. In my work environment, I was spending much more time with co-workers than I was spending with my wife. I have traveled with and worked with attractive women in remote locations. So, I understand the temptations of “office romance” because, basically you are spending more time with them than your spouse. And, in addition, you may share more common interests with them than your spouse.

3 Likes

Only semi-related topic, I do wonder what sort of societal effects a sudden longevity discovery would have. Let’s say, rather than a gradual increase in lifespan, a dramatic discovery was announced that meant most people alive today would live an extra 50 or 100 years.

The next week would see the largest number of divorces and job resignations in recorded history.

Many people are very happy in their current situations. But another very common state, unfortunately, is people who are unhappy but feel that it’s “too late” to change or start over. They’re just grinding out the years in their current situation because they see life being “mostly over”.

But the prospect of another 50 or 100 years in that situation would light a fire under them. You’d see people going through a “reverse midlife crisis”. Doors opening that they thought had been closed. You’d have a period of relative chaos, with all the calculations people had made about their lives suddenly being turned upside down with the prospect of a longer life.

5 Likes

I’m not too interested in the personal lives of longevity researchers (any more than Brady / Gisele) but there is some writing suggesting he’s gotten remarried to Poon at some point in the past few years:

Dieting is the secret to antiaging, according to Sinclair, writer of Lifespan: Why We Age and Why We Don’t Have To. He consumes up to two cups of his wife Serena Poon’s green tea matcha, which contains anti-inflammatory and cancer-preventive chemicals.

Source: The four routines of a lifespan expert have made him appear a decade younger - Go 4 Healthy Life

I feel bad for the family - must have been a lot of stress for the children.

3 Likes

I was watching a video of Sinclair a few days ago (I typically listen to podcasts but don’t watch them often) and it suddenly hit me: is it possible he uses Botox on his forehead? I live in NYC and there are a LOT of people using Botox here (not me: my forehead has wrinkles like a human) there was no movement in the center and only movement on the sides when he raised his eyebrows as he spoke — this seems like classic Botox. Maybe he has unusual facial musculature, but maybe not.

I don’t care and have no judgements on Botox (much better than fillers which are massively over-applied here)….except, given he is a “longevity expert”, I’d greatly prefer he show us that his stack is providing the benefits rather than using a well-used crutch. Skin quality is a useful measurement of age. So many people now due their hair, but their skin and movement gives them away regarding age.

It doesn’t impact me either way. Just curious if anyone else noticed this, or if I’m tilting at Sinclair Windmills.

4 Likes

Yes, I am very skeptical regarding all things Sinclair.

I have posted elsewhere on this forum that he has definitely had a brow lift and botox. He may also have had a facelift and some type of dermal filler or autologous fat transfer. I haven’t searched for before/after pics showing details of his tragi but there are other telling signs.

Botox is fantastic. It doesn’t just smooth creases.It also increases luminosity and reflectance. It can make subtle or not-so-subtle changes to some aspects of the face, like lifting the corners of the mouth, lifting the nose tip, decreasing wide/bulky masseters, etc.

I think his cosmetic interventions are fine. I’m not so sure about his character, and this wife-leaving is the least of it.

If people ever have the ability to live indefinitely in a more youthful, healthy body, then being “married for life” is simply not going to be a thing anymore.

I don’t care how in love people think they are . . . you’re not going to want to spend 1,000 years married to someone. Especially if you don’t need anyone to help take care of you in old age.

I mean, think of how much we change as people – interests, proclivities, desires – in just a few decades. Now think of how much you and your spouse would change over a few centuries.

1 Like

I’m leaning toward an ethical obligation to reveal all reasons for youthful appearance when selling his “expertise” in preserving youth (as evidenced by his youthful appearance).

4 Likes

I think there is something called a conflict of interest. Without informing the general public, now that the so-called longevity expert that he is touting (in recent videos) is his new wife? who happens to have very little science background (trained as a chef and studied political science). He is using Botox for sure as he moves his forehead without moving any part of the middle. But that’s his freedom. I was a big fan of Sinclair in earlier years but I think he looked stressed in a recent video (Peter Diamondis interview). This was from one month ago when he interviewed his wife.

2 Likes