Cutting boards can produce microparticles when used to chop veggies, study shows

2 Likes

Any suggestion on what to use instead of plastic (or wood)?

Any reason you are adverse to using a wood cutting board?

2 Likes

FWiW

An suggestion use a plate/sheet of copper, copper is soft{should not damage knife blade] and Bridal*{abbreviation for bactericide or bacteriocide; * is a substance which kills bacteria.]

I thought wood would be harmless

1 Like

Wood absorbs juice and proteins from meat which leads to high bacterial content…

No matter which wood you choose, the biggest problem with most wooden cutting boards is they absorb juices from meats. This can lead to dangerous bacteria growth. Food safety organizations usually recommend using a nonporous cutting board for raw meat, like plastic. If you do use wood with meat, make sure you sanitize it and dry it thoroughly. If you must use wood, choose bamboo. It’s the least porous of the wood family.

3 Likes

Not throwing my plastic cutting boards away. Decades of using them with no ill effects.
A few clickbait articles without some extensive studies is not going to change my mind.

“So, don’t throw a plastic cutting board in the dishwasher, because it may not sanitize all of crevices. Give it a good scrub with hot soap and water to get into the nooks, rinse, then sanitize it with a chlorine-based sanitizer, like bleach diluted in water.”
Or, just use some Comet cleanser with chlorine.

If all of the dire bs warnings over the years of using Teflon cookware, etc. were true I would be dead or have cancer. The plausible dire effects are minuscule.

1 Like

FWIW

Found a 14" bamboo cutting board Cuisinart brand on woot! for $12.00 no cost shipping if you are an Amazon Prime Member.

For $12.00 how do you go wrong?

1 Like

Gotcha, I kind of figured that’s what was going on.

1 Like

These bacteria were placed on cutting boards made from seven different species of trees and four types of plastic. All the wooden boards consistently outperformed the plastic.

1 Like

Can you simply microwave your wood cutting board to kill the bacteria? I wouldn’t do it with a plastic one though!

FWIW

Get a bamboo board and coat the board with real tung oil.

A few years ago, a group of health and safety experts employed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture recommended the use of cutting boards manufactured from plastic materials as being safer and more hygienic than those made from wood. Shortly afterwards the department admitted that they had made the claim in error without doing any background research beforehand – meaning that the advice offered previously was based on a potentially incorrect assumption.

Scientists at the University of Wisconsin have found that 99.9% of bacteria placed on a wooden chopping board begin to die completely within minutes. After being left at room temperature overnight, there were no remaining living bacteria on the wooden boards the next day. In comparison, cheaper plastic cutting boards had very little effect on dangerous microbes.

The study mentioned I posted above.

5 Likes