Tim Calmeyn

Director:
Robert Krikorian

Director Emeritus:
Nick Colby

Director Emeritus:
Lisa Walford

How to gain access to domains or accounts after account holder’s death

To access a domain or an account after the death of the account holder, you must be the Estate Administrator or next of kin of the deceased. You need to submit a request with the following documentation:

1. A properly completed request to the Regain Access To My Account form with the Estate Administrator listed as the requestor.
  2. Legal documentation listing the name of the Estate Administrator.
  3. A copy of the Death Certificate of the deceased.
  4. Photo identification for the requestor/Estate Administrator. We require the government-issued photo identification be a color copy, scan or digital picture containing the pictured person, name, signature and expiration date clearly identifiable.

Required: You must include all four of these items with your access request, or your request will not be considered.

Please allow up to 72 hours for initial correspondence. Once this documentation is received, we will inform you that your request has been completed or if there is any additional information needed to process your request.

^This is the difficult part. But if the data is still on invisionforum servers, could there be a way to just point a separate domain DNS to the invisionforum forums?

I would imagine that if you had access to the server, where all the data is, then you can just get a new domain and point it to it.

If the forum is running, can’t you get the I.P and get to the forum that way (and point new domain to the I.P)?

Maybe, I emailed InvisionForum support. Without additional information, there might be a limited extent to which they can discuss pre-existing forums [though I know they were in good standing as of 6/18]

Also they have to approve authorizing additional account admins for the boards, idk how that’s done for forums where the admins are dead.

Why does it say this, last updated on 2024-06-10, and expires on 2025-04-15?

Name Server: NS1.FABRICATIONSPECIALTIES.COM

Name Server: NS2.FABRICATIONSPECIALTIES.COM

They originally pointed at it. Not anymore though

The CRS website is likely down because of DNS problems. It doesn’t look like the DNS was ever switched over to GoDaddy. Instead, it’s still on the old fabricationspecialties.com name servers. Testing this results in failed connections to those servers, so I’d start by updating the DNS in the GoDaddy account.

==

Relevant: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/18trmtr/owneronly_moderator_of_a_forum_suddenly_passed/

. 0 OPT [{Extended_DNS_Error: NO_REACHABLE_AUTHORITY: at delegation crsociety.org.}, {Extended_DNS_Error: NETWORK_ERROR: 67.43.5.27:53 timed out for crsociety.org A}] ; payload 1232, xrcode 0, version 0, flags 0

Template Error: The template file must be given (or the template could not be opened)

http://67.43.5.27/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

This error seems related to Jomla forum?

why jomla? It’s invision power board…

http://67.43.5.27/cgi-sys/

tjc@diethacker.com?

2020 the domain was registered to Calorie Restriction Society:

Earlier ones can be found here:https://www.bigdomaindata.com/whois-history/crsociety.org

I think the best tool for historical WHOIS is Whois History - Historical Whois Lookup - DomainTools but it’s a paid service, and I don’t know for sure if it’s the best one.

The name servers has always been the same it looks like to me.

If I would guess something on the server side broke.

Any updates on crsociety.org?

It seemed like it was a thriving group with plenty of users. There must be someone who can bring it back.

People are anxious, so I’ll send some snippets of the emails:

““The CRS forums can easily be brought back online, and technically they are currently online just not accessible without modifying the DNS at GoDaddy. The current issue is more of an annoyance and lack of access rather than being concerned about data loss. Thanks for your interest in this and being willing to help. I’ll let you know if there’s anything that comes up that I think you could do, but we’re currently waiting to hear back about a few details related to bank, GoDaddy, and Invision account access.””

“REDACTED is doing his best to ressurect the forum. Apparently the forum is still “live” at Innovision, but something about the DNS info is messed up at Godaddy (where CRSociety.org is hosted), so the link to the forum no longer works. REDACTED is trying to get the login credentials for our Godaddy account so he can update it, but nobody seems to have it. If nobody knows it, the CR Society needs to send an official letter (probably from REDACTED, the president) with a death certificate for (REDACTED) to get the account transferred so REDACTED can update it. REDACTED reached out to see if either somebody knows the Godaddy login or can draft such a letter.”

3 Likes

Thanks for the update AlexKChen

I’ve been reading the crsociety forum for a while and it’s been really informative. It’d be a real loss if it died.

There’s some progress made… Still will take some time

1 Like

The problem right now is at fabricationspecialties.com which hosts the dns entries. That’s a real company with a real phone number so you might be able to talk to them about it.

“We are working through the process of transferring account ownership from a recently deceased CRS board member so we can update the DNS record. The forum itself is funded and functioning. We just need to update the DNS record to make it accessible.”

(This part shared with permission

3 Likes

The forum is still unreachable. Is there any new information?

According to this thread, it’ll be a few more days. I think it’ll be up again just as soon as we get usable fusion power, which as I remember from my childhood (I’m 66) we have been assured is just around the corner. So now the question is, if we take all possible life extension measures, including rapamycin, will anybody from around here be still alive to witness that glorious event. In summary, a few more days.

1 Like

A few more days of which planet?

Venus has the longest day of any planet in our solar system. It completes one rotation every 243 Earth days

2 Likes