COSMOS Study Shows Cocoa Flavanols Reduce Risk of Cardiovascular Death by 27%

First it take some time for the body to retain HM

It will take much longer than “two weeks” to remove/lower body burden.

Just using “hair” to determine HM is not a good indicator.

Systemic challenge using/taking DMPS or DMSA would give you a better idea.

Tissue biopsy is another, {not too many would do this.

You could also measure collected sweat,{with a device/patch] that is placed on outer body tissue , during sauna to measure how much is coming out.

Recommendations for Provoked Challenge Urine Testing

1 Like

In the COSMOS trial, they used an extract, not cocoa products, so there was no tradeoff involved.

A total of 120 samples … of pecan nuts (Carya illinoinensis L.), pine nuts (Pinus pinea L.), pistachios (Pistacia vera L.) and walnuts (Juglans regia L.) … were purchased from markets in standard packages, as well as by weight, between January and March 2021. Ten samples (each of the different producers) were obtained among every studied subgroup without replications. …

The highest [EDI—estimated daily intake; CR — cancer risk; and THQ—target hazard quotient] calculated for Cd were found in pine nuts (EDI = 1.04 × 10−2, CR = 6.53 × 10−5, THQ = 1.48 × 101), for Pb in pecans (EDI = 4.12 × 10−2, CR = 3.50 × 10−7, THQ = 1.68 × 10−1), for As in pistachio nuts (EDI = 7.93 × 10−3, CR = 1.19 × 10−3, THQ = 3.78 × 10−1) and for Hg in pecans (EDI = 4.89 × 10−4, CR = 2.33 × 10−2, THQ = 5.24 × 10−1).

It has been found that consumption of studied species of nuts does not cause a carcinogenic risk via the content of toxic elements. None of the tested samples exceed the acceptable value of THQ and their consumption is safe for human health. The totality health risk of all toxic elements (HI) found in the samples of selected nuts species was the lowest in almonds (7.00 × 10−2) and the highest in pecans (5.24 × 101). The value of HI is potentially dangerous when it exceeds 1; thus, it can be concluded that the consumption of a standard portion of all studied nut species is safe for human health
Nutrients | Free Full-Text | Assessment of the Safe Consumption of Nuts in Terms of the Content of Toxic Elements with Chemometric Analysis

Your original references were the Times of India and the website Radiant Life. Your later references include the website The Art of Healing.

My references were one scientific paper independent of the USA Today story and the several scientists quoted and studies summarized and linked in USA today.

They used blood and urine.

That is only true for rice that was grown in former cotton fields in USA laced with arsenic based pesticides. Also the arsenic is only present in the hull of the rice, so it is safe to eat US grown white rice. If you want to eat brown rice, make sure it wasn’t grown in USA!

This study reports that cilantrol leaf has a fatty acid that activates neuronal voltage-gated potassium channel subfamily Q channels in vitro; it has no data on it chelating heavy metals.

This is a review with no original data. It cites two prior papers. Both of these papers are published in the journal Acupuncture & electro-therapeutics research. The first claims that the highlevels of mercury in one dental patient were lower after “Ingestion of Chinese parsley, accompanied by drug-uptake enhancement methods, was initiated before the amalgam removal procedure and continued for about 2 to 3 weeks afterwards”. The second paper, by the same lead author in the same journal, reports that a similar protocol successfully treated Chlamydia and Herpes family viral infections by removing localized Hg deposits in patients; there was no control group.

Yes — but no information about cilantro.

This is another review. The relevant passage is:
" iv) Cilantro (leaves of Coriandrum sativum), a popular culinary and medicinal herb, gained attention when a soup was reported to enhance mercury excretion following dental amalgam removal and remains popular despite limited evidence [46]. In animals, it decreased lead absorption into bone and inhibition of the delta-aminolevulinic acid dehydratase (ALAD) enzyme [47]. Less encouragingly, in a recent trial in 3- to 7-year old children exposed to lead, a cilantro extract was as effective as placebo in increasing renal excretion (improvements across treatment and placebo groups were ascribed to improved diet during the intervention) [48]."

1 Like

My comment referred to cocoa powder, not the extract. Read the 2 comments preceding the comment you replied to for context.

It’s because your comment referred to cocoa powder that I reminded all that COSMOS used the extract.

1 Like

Since you were replying to me, I thought your comment was addressing my statement rather than than making an announcement to “all” about the substance used by the COSMOS trial (which is not related to my comment).

While we are on the topic, what is the source for your claim that cocoa extract used in the trial has “negligible heavy metals”? I don’t see this topic addressed in the published paper, or even in the literature in general.

1 Like

It was related to your comment: you were comparing the risk tradeoff with heavy metals between cocoa products and nuts. Again, there is no such tradeoff with the extract used in COSMOS.

ConsumerLab.

1 Like

My original comment does not mention the COSMOS trial, but even if it did, the COSMOS paper lacks any evaluation of “the risk tradeoff with heavy metals between cocoa products and nuts”. In fact, there’s not even a reference to the heavy metals at all in the paper, which at this point I doubt you’ve read.

Please link the ConsumerLab article to this cocoa powder with “negligible heavy metals” that was “used in the trial” for COSMOS. This would be highly relevant to the topic of this thread and those interested in the supplement.

The subject of the thread is the COSMOS trial. People are getting distracted discussing cocoa products, which are too low in cocoa flavanols to substitute for the extract and unlike the extract have heavy metals.

I’ve quoted directly from it in this thread …

2 Likes

Just use CocoaVia. Same one used in the study and it doesn’t contain any lead or cadmium according to consumerlab. Good luck getting 500mg of flavonols from dark chocolate or any other brand.

5 Likes

Cocoa flavanols, Nrf2 activation, and oxidative stress in peripheral artery disease: Mechanistic findings in muscle based on outcomes from a randomized trial

Overall, these findings suggest that cocoa flavanols may enhance antioxidant capacity in PAD via Nrf2 activation."

Paywalled article:

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajpcell.00573.2023

6 Likes

Might hence be pro longevity?

1 Like

Absolutely, NRF2 activation is a good thing: Does Nrf2 Play a Role of a Master Regulator of Mammalian Aging?

6 Likes

And part of two things with the ITP now I think

• First Protandim, and a month ago the study with
  • Astaxanthin
2 Likes

I understand melatonin is an nrf2 activator.

4 Likes