Cardiovascular Health

I am always amused by people who post on a forum and make sweeping statements like “anyone who doesn’t do what I say is stupid.”
For a start, you should provide some evidence to support your claims. It wouldn’t hurt to state your educational qualifications or experience, either.

In my case, I did intermittent fasting for 5 years. Most miserable 5 years of my life. I’m over fasting! Probably made difficult because my insulin level is 2.0, so I feel lightheaded and weak if I don’t get enough carbohydrates. So I don’t think your “all beef” diet would be very good for me.
I only hope you’re not a medical practitioner!

9 Likes

Our data demonstrate that NTBI-triggered iron overload aggravates atherosclerosis and unravel a causal link between NTBI and the progression of atherosclerotic lesions. Our findings support clinical applications of iron restriction in iron-loaded individuals to counteract iron-aggravated vascular dysfunction and atherosclerosis.

So, how do we determine if we have an “iron overload”? The study on mice really doesn’t give me much information. Is there a specific test that would indicate that we have an iron overload? Do we just keep our ferritin levels low?

If your iron binding capacity, hemoglobin, ferritin, and red blood count are low, do you supplement or not?

Such is my current case. My doctor wants me to supplement, which I did for a while. But, because I feel good and don’t feel any energy loss associated with low ferritin levels, etc., I am not currently taking an iron supplement.

Blagoklonny twitted few minutes ago also something about iron, seems that low iron levels protect against cancer as well.

a relatively low iron status and, as a result, reduce the risk of cancer.

1 Like

I do recommend a colonoscopy. I had one done several years ago and they found precancerous polyps. If they hadn’t found them and removed them then, I probably would have full blown cancer now. We are all about preventative medicine here, and a colonoscopy is one way to avoid a very serious cancer. Now I get a colonoscopy every 3 years. They find any polyps and remove them. Sometimes there aren’t any, but usually there are. Don’t gamble with your life.

My wife’s friend’s father found out he had prostate cancer and decided not to do anything about it. Then after several years, it spread. Now there’s nothing he can do about it. He’s happy not doing anything even though the cancer will kill him soon. I just don’t understand why people do this…

4 Likes

Have you ever done a Cologuard test prior to your colonoscopies? They say it’s pretty accurate in diagnosing. Mine came negative, wondering how reliable it is and if I still should schedule a colonoscopy. The last one I had was 13 years ago and it was all clean.

2 Likes

Kaiser HMO sends old people a kit annually, which is similar but simpler, in lieu of one getting a colonoscopy. I tested negative for years, then a few months ago, blood showed up in the test, and was forced into an colonoscopy. Was just blood from hemorrhoids, not a problem. But now I’m ‘good to go’ for a decade, no more annual test.

So if Kaiser relies on these tests, I assume they are accurate.

3 Likes

Yes, I saw that. If I interpreted that article correctly, they are using ferritin as a marker.
My iron levels have always been very low, but because of blood donations and my diet, they are now so low I have to keep track of it to avoid becoming anemic.

1 Like

Hello - to person asking about pcsk9 inhibitorsr- u mention D. Attia. Did u listen to one of his latest podcasts - 255 with guest kastelein as they discuss much of what u are asking about. Would be good as give much details and best protocols. Regards

3 Likes

We have a program set by the state, bi-annual (every two years) screening test after age of 50. And if positive you are referred to colonoscopy. My friends husband is managing this program now for few years and said that is the optimal way to screen for colorectal cancers on bigger scale, but for personal prevention he said that if anything suddenly changes with digestion, bowel movements, color, consistency of feces and persists for more than three weeks you should get a screening test too. If you have a family history of colorectal cancer than yearly colonoscopy is in order after age of 35. Colonoscopy every 5 years even on negative test is recommended after age of 50 in even low risk individuals.

Your 13 years sounds like a great deal of time :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

But seems low ferritin could be protective as well.

1 Like

Anyone have a sense for how good modern day ”Pill Cameras” are at detecting cancer and polyps early?

Saw in one of the early pieces about Blueprint that Bryan Johnson did/does one of these.

And then saw that eg the UK healthcare system has started to offer the service to some subsets of the population:

The ScotCap Test is a capsule that you swallow, and it contains 2 tiny cameras inside. The cameras take pictures of the lining of the bowel to look for any problems or signs of disease. This test can be used instead of a colonoscopy.

And more on the UK starting to use it

2 Likes

I suggest you drastically reduce your linoleic acid (LA) consumption to evolutionary levels of 1-2% of total calories. It is 10X that amount in most people’s diets. Listen to the podcasts with Tucker Goodrich, or Cate Shanahan, or Paul Saladino and others. LA is what oxidizes in LDL particles, and without oxidation you don’t get atherosclerosis.

2 Likes

I would think they are as good as colonoscopy, the only problem is that incidence of polyps is usually quite high in people referred to colonoscopy and if they find some or need to take some tissue for biopsy you will have to have traditional colonoscopy too. Probably they are of more use in low/average risk individuals for preventative examination.

3 Likes

The other good thing about a regular colonoscopy (every 3-5 years) is that you catch and remove polyps in the bud before they can develop into cancer. Thank goodness they are slow-growing in the intestine so you can wait several years between colonoscopies.

Of course, there’s always the chance that the doctor missed some on the first check like what happened between my first and second colonoscopies.

2 Likes

Has anyone done some research on remnant lipoproteins (RC) and risk in ASCVD? Seems they are the most atherogenic particles? There seems no routine measurements for them, there is simple calculation formula RC=TC-LDL-HDL, but I also found studies that dispute this formula as unreliable, but there is no consensus on measuring methods. Seems that very low concentration can be atherogenic since they can infiltrate and remain in arterial wall without the usual inflammatory process LDL-C particles would. I could not find any solid confirmation that RC is an independent risk factor in ASCVD. ANy thoughts on this? Here on this forum I found little discussion about RC.

1 Like

Please correct your statement quoted above. No RCTs in this area that I am aware of.

What type of RCT do you mean?

These numbers are really good. Your Trigs are wonderful. Your HDL is wonderful. Your LDL is higher than optimal but the ratios are still in great shape.

To Davin8r’s point on HDL, my (limited) understanding is that he is correct in that the mechanistic understanding of HDL doesn’t show a heart disease benefit, it is still true that the epidemiology of heart disease shows that high HDL is protective.

What this seemingly inconsistent set of statements actually means is likely this: high HDL is a marker of good cardiovascular health, not a driver of it. Something else makes your HDL high and that something also is protective of your heart.

This also means that medicating your HDL to a higher state is not likely to benefit your health, as it is a marker of health not a driver. But when evaluating your actual risk of ASCVD, the fact that your HDL is high is absolutely relevant. For this reason, HDL is an input into some risk calculators. See, for instance: ASCVD Risk Estimator +

2 Likes

You are the one who said there was overwhelming evidence of something established by RCTs. So whatever kind of RCT you had in mind when you wrote that, that is the kind I am saying does not exist.

1 Like