Cardiovascular Health

I stopped taking Rapa only once, for 4 mo. Cholesterol and BG went down much and nothing bad happened to my kidney. I take Rapa because of kidney transplant 13 years ago and cannot have prolonged breaks (per nephrologists).

2 Likes

:point_up: combined with the fact that you have the clinical clear need for rapa and rapa’s effect leading to increased Apo B / LDL is documented, might mean that you can work with your doctors so they can get you PCSK9i! That could help you make a massive dent in your bad lipids (typically with no side effects).

1 Like

Please follow your doctor’s orders regarding your kidney transplant. Sometimes not everyone is aware that you are taking Rapamycin for it’s original intended purpose of preventing organ rejection!

3 Likes

Increasing the statin dosage will only have a marginal benefit. 1mg decreases by like 30%, then 5, 35%, 10, 40%, etc (not real numbers)… Best would be a PCSK9 inhibitor IMO but it’s so expensive. Maybe Zetia can help a little? I don’t know. Not medical advice. Extremely low SFA diet and replacing it with PUFAS will help too. So if you don’t want to take any higher dosage statins, look into nearly stopping with SFA consumtion and having PUFAS, canola oil has lowest saturated fat of pufa sources. Combine with oat beta glucans if you can find them cheap, psylium husk.

152 mg/dl ldl is too high.

3 Likes

Thank you, Chris! I definitely will. Whatever I do with my diet or supplements, I always take into consideration my transplanted kidney that I received from my son when he was 28. It was an ideal match and the kidney functions very well for already 13 years.

8 Likes

Wow! Thank goodness for family. It sounds like you have been blessed with a wonderful and loving son.

4 Likes

Of course he was right. The data is very clear. All the blue zones show the same thing.

1 Like

Regarding Vegetable oils and Heart Disease:

If its a question of insurance, cash price where I live is about $150 last time I went. You just need him to write an order for it.

2 Likes

Combining rosuvastatin with ezetimibe has a very big impact on apob and ldl even at low doses. Worth considering if you want to keep your statin dose low.

7 Likes

Thank you! Will ask my doc. He wrote to me yesterday and advised to take a higher dose of rosuvastatin. Doesn’t look like ezetimibe affects kidneys in a negative way, though it has many other side effects.

1 Like

Pyridoxamine, the Vitamin B6 variant that cannot be sold in USA since 2009, also falls in this category as an AGE inhibitor, and outperforms Aminoguanidine, according to this Life Extension cited research paper : Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996 Mar 7;220(1):113-9

Interesting that the seller of Aminoguanidine, SuperSmart, that was quoted by RobK, is also the only known seller of Pyridoxamine in Europe (but won’t sell to US customers)

"P5P is simply a more efficient form of pyridoxine, and avoids the hepatic conversion processes needed to create the active enzyme form. This would likely be beneficial for those with impaired liver function.’
"Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate, P5P is the active or coenzyme form of Vitamin B-6. This bioavailable nutrient form contains three unique compounds- pyridoxal, pyridoxamine
There are many sources that claim this, just Google it.
I would think it might be a good substitute.
It is of course available from many sources on Amazon.

3 Likes

A more recent paper from 2022 confirms that Pyridoxamine (but NOT P5P or pyridoxal) as well as Aminoguanidine are able to block the formation of specific AGE compounds implicated in Alzheimer’s : Pyridoxamine and Aminoguanidine Attenuate the Abnormal Aggregation of β-Tubulin and Suppression of Neurite Outgrowth by Glyceraldehyde-Derived Toxic Advanced Glycation End-Products - PMC

For those of us in USA without access to Pyridoxamine, Aminoguanidine looks like a better substitute for Pyridoxamine than P5P/Pyridoxal.

1 Like

I searched and found this claim on amazon.com from Horbach’s P5P supplement : “What is P-5-P? Pyridoxal-5-phosphate is the active or coenzyme form of vitamin B-6. This bioavailable nutrient form contains three natural organic compounds- pyridoxal, pyridoxamine and pyridoxine”.

This claim that their P5P supplement includes pyridoxamine is highly questionable : First, their ingredient list only shows Pyridoxam-5-phosphate (1 of the 6 forms of Vitamin B-6). Second, the FDA has banned the sale of any supplement in USA that includes Pyridoxamine, since 2009, because some company (now bankrupt) was investigating its use as a drug. The FDA was petitioned in 2018 to remove the ban, since the company officially dropped their FDA investigation, but the FDA declined stating they don’t have the resources necessary to investigate the claim made by the petitioner! The US FDA is now so dependent on fee based revenue that they now decline any work that does not generate fees!

Possibly Horbach misstated the claim by some researchers that the body can convert some of the P5P to pyridoxamine. However, the primary conversion path for all versions of Vitamin B-6 is to convert them to P5P, the active form, so it is not clear how much pyridoxamine the body generates when supplementing with P5P.

1 Like

Read Eat Rich Live Long. Google or Youtube Vitamin K2 and heart health. Search Dr. Berg or Ekberg on heart health

It’s not and will never be my intention to get into a debate. You believe what you want, and I’ll do the same. I will say though, I’m always open to learning more, every day and in every way. And I would hope everyone here would take the same approach. With that in mind, I share this deep dive thread entitled: Unveiling the Paradox: Do Statins Fuel the Fire of Heart Disease. Thread by @sam_soete on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App

2 Likes

I meant he was right based on what we know today, not because of his studies.

No for the “Dr” Ekberg (he is not a doctor nor does he have a ph.d, he is a liar)

I don’t understand the appeal, that thread is all over the place.

Also this:

Mechanistic speculation is… what it is. See the evidence hiearchy.

I guess we can believe “whatever we want to believe”, if we ignore quality of evidence when it comes to complex systems… That’s not good for health decisions though.

5 Likes

dr gil carvalho says he has never made a dime on statins. Probably because does not seem to be a practicing doctor. Studies often do not cover all the variables. It would be nice if Dr. Gil had a practice and could follow the outcomes. Science took so long to figure out cigarettes were bad. But it is apparent that Dr. Gil is in the making a name for himself.