Cardiorespiratory Fitness and All Cause Mortality: Meta Analysis

Since we’re all here for all cause mortality risk reduction (wild type mice studies/ITP are only good mouse-cancer models)

Cardiorespiratory fitness and mortality from all causes, cardiovascular disease and cancer: dose– response meta-analysis of cohort studies (Dec 2021)

34 cohort studies were eligible for the meta analysis.

The dose–response analyses showed that a per one-MET increase in CRF was associated with 12%, 13% and 7% reduced risk of all-cause, CVD and cancer mortality.

In the categorical analyses, the reduction was 33%, 40% and 24%, respectively, for the intermediate versus lowest category of CRF and 53%, 51% and 43%, respectively, for the highest vs lowest category.

The characteristics of the included records are in table 1. Among the records, 22 were from North America, 10 from Europe and 2 from Asia. Sample sizes ranged from 184 to 1,547, 478 and follow-up period from 5.0 to 44.1 years. A total of 21 records assessed CRF with treadmill exercise tests, 11 with ergometer exercise tests and 2 with the Canadian home fitness test

As described in recent American Heart Association scientific statements, the overall predictive ability of CRF is comparable to that obtained with the Framingham Risk Score and European Systematic Coronary Risk Evaluation algorithm.

The American Heart AssociationTrusted Source recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise each week for optimal cardiovascular health. That’s equal to about 500 MET minutes per week, according to the [Department of Health and Human Services.

One MET is approximately 3.5 milliliters of oxygen consumed per kilogram (kg) of body weight per minute

2 Likes

I remember in my early years doing exercise stress tests. They are 4 stages of 3 minutes each of increasing difficulty. During the test you watch an EKG to monitor for ischemia.
There was a remarkable study done in the 80’s that showed if the patient was able to just make it through the 4 stages, regardless of the EKG changes, their 5 year mortality rate was extremely low.

1 Like

I could totally believe that predictive capability. Throw in a VO2 max test and you have a very good snapshot of your mortality risk.

“They studied the CRF of over 5,000 men, who average 49 years old at the beginning of the assessment, with a single measurement of maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max)—a measure of how much oxygen your body can take in and use during exercise—and compared that number to mortality rates nearly five decades later.”

2 Likes
1 Like

Why does Apple health think I am such a dullard? It constantly rates my VO2 max below 30, which is barely in the above average range. Maybe it knows I stopped swimming? I don’t see it ever letting me get into the next level. I realize it could be spot on but I’m curious whether anyone has compared a real Vo2 reading to the Apple Watch.

The most recent Peter Attia podcast covered some good info on improving vo2 max. He recommended 4 minute all out alternating 4 minutes recovery cycles over tabatas. Off topic, but does anyone have a heart rate monitor exercise app to recommend? I have been using polar beat. I am trying to avoid a bicycle computer.

2 Likes