Canagliflozin - Another Top Anti-aging Drug

Makes sense because the real life benefits (diabetes, CKD, HF, dementia, etc.) don’t seem to be gender dependent.

Also just published (and does not mention gender differences): Effects of SGLT2 Inhibition via Empagliflozin on Cognitive and Physical Impairment in Frail Diabetic Elders with Chronic Kidney Disease

We observed a favorable effect on both cognitive and physical function. Salutary vascular actions have been proposed for SGLT2-inhibitors, and we have previously observed beneficial effects on physical and cognitive function in hypertensive patients, by improving endothelial dysfunction and reducing mitochondrial oxidative stress. To the best of our knowledge, we are the first group exploring the effects of empagliflozin on cognitive and physical impairment in frail older adults with diabetes and CKD, supporting the view that SGLT2-inhibitors may be considered anti-frailty drugs.

Quite impressive after 6 months only. And on the lowest empagliflozin dose (10 mg/day instead of 25 mg/day).

I guess that’s why the ITP is now testing a smaller dose (60 ppm VS 180 ppm before).

4 Likes

Another string to SGLTi’s bow?

In vivo, dapagliflozin exerts antiarrhythmic effects, revealing a potential new additional role of SGLT2 inhibitors in the treatment of atrial arrhythmias.

(Acute antiarrhythmic effects of SGLT2 inhibitors–dapagliflozin lowers the excitability of atrial cardiomyocytes 2024)

See also from Dec 2023: Sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 inhibitors had a significant association with less atrial fibrillation

There are four trials and studies of SGLT2 inhibitors for atrial fibrillation:

5 Likes

Just reading some old postings in here about SGLT2 inhibitors and wanted to incorporate/start a small dose of one of them. I googled and ran into this, that says it may increase the risk of Thyroid cancer. wonder what you think about it? Or am I reading it wrong?

RYBELSUS® vs Other Diabetes Pills | RYBELSUS® (semaglutide) tablets 7 mg or 14 mg

This link seems to be about semaglutide, not empagliflozin.

2 Likes

aren’t they both SGLT2 inhibitors?

No. Semaglutide is a glp1agonist. See here Intermittent (oral) Rybelsus / Semaglutide use in healthy individuals?

2 Likes

No, SGLT2 inhibitors have names ending in - gliflozin (hence their other names: “flozins” or “gliflozins”). Semaglutide a GLP-1 receptor agonist, with a name ending in -tide like other drugs of this class (exenatide, liraglutide, lixisenatide, retatrutide, etc.).

3 Likes

@RapAdmin , @adssx thank you for clarifying. @RapAdmin I know you were doing empagliflozin before, are you still on it, and how do you feel about it in general?? i.e I always come to a conclusion about any substance i take (anecdotal of course, but normally free of placebo effect).

I took it for a few weeks. It makes you pee more, might lower sugar a bit, but I’m keto and I think it’s a much better drug for somebody with a big problem. I found Dapag to be much less of a problem with side effects. Very easy to take. Similar results for me. Don’t know what to think of these drugs either. I’ve switched to metformin for a while.

1 Like

I am just about to reorder empagliflizin. I like it. Really good blood glucose control and no noticeable side effects for me

6 Likes

Is there any reason you chose empagliflozin? (I’ve just re-ordered dapagliflozin 10 mg for the same reason: works great for my reactive hypoglycemia and overall glycemic control and 0 side effects so far.)

1 Like

I think he’d mentioned earlier that Cana had given him muscle weakness and he switched to Empa with no side effects. I’ll save him a 30 second response lol

Thanks. But why empa and not dapa or sota? :wink: Also: which empa 10 mg or 25 mg?

1 Like

the answer could be the same as you’d answer " why is it raining today in NY", or could have to do with price point and maybe some other consideration. But it is my experience that when something in a field of say 10 things doesn’t work well with you, then just move to the second one with no other apparent reason than just to see if that is better tolerated. I’m sure @admin will give you much more precise answer.

I was just trying a different …flozin, and had not done a ton of research on all the variations. Plus this was a few years ago. Not sure if all the flozins are generic yet.

2 Likes

Thanks. I think cana, dapa, and empa are generic in Europe but not yet in the US. Sota, ertu, and bexa are still protected everywhere. Other SGLT2 are only approved in Asia (tofo, luseo, ipra, etc.).

I’d love to see a comparative study of the various SGLT2 inhibitors, for instance their ability to cross the BBB and inhibit brain mTOR.

2 Likes

For those afraid of DKA: Melatonin ameliorates SGLT2 inhibitor-induced diabetic ketoacidosis by inhibiting lipolysis and hepatic ketogenesis in type 2 diabetic mice 2019

melatonin treatment may offer protection against SGLT2i-induced ketoacidosis.

6 Likes

Love it, so melatonin and continuous ketone (and glucose) monitors could be part of the strategy to optimize / minimize risks around DKA

Any other ideas for what could be included in a comprehensive strategy to minimize any DKA risks?
(I for one would like to still do 16/8 to 18/6 feeding windows and 3-5 day water only fasts now and then)

1 Like

I know that there are a lot of topics that discuss safest and best ways to order rapa and other medicines from India

Does anyone have advice or is there is any forum topic on how to order medicines from EU countries to the US?

( - esp in cases like this where they are off patent there and not yet in the US -

that seems even safer than from India - even if it might cost more)

Oh, no question, ordering off-patent medications rom Europe would be much safer and better… if it could be accomplished. The issue is that (unlike India) these countries have well-functioning healthcare and legal systems that are optimized to serve their populations - and selling drugs to people outside of the EU is likely not legal or certainly not as easy as ordering from India.

But perhaps if you have a prescription it might be possible in some areas… for example perhaps you could get a prescription from EuDoc using a friend’s address in Europe, then with that prescription buy medication from an online European pharmacy, have it shipped to a friend in Europe, and then have it shipped to you in the US by your friend. Just brainstorming here…

2 Likes