Can you share your Longevity / HealthSpan Regime?

There are two companies marketing suppositories one has 200 and 400mg. The other only 200.

More good news on NRF2 (and why I grow and take sprouts and moringa powder)

1 Like

Astaxanthin is also an NRF2 modulator, correct?

I’ve not researched that aspect of astaxanthin, but it does seem to be the case from a cursory search:

Exactly. NRF2 is important for deploying anti-oxidants in your body effectively. NRF2 is the command center and the anti-oxidants (Vit C, glutathione, melatonin, etc…) are the foot soldiers.

1 Like

I just came across this example of an interesting Longevity / Healthspan regimen being used by Oliver Zolman; its down the page on his website here: Rejuvenation Leaderboard - Oliver Zolman MD | Evidence-based health

It seems that Zolman may be a major influencer in Bryan Johnson’s protocol.

Details below. What do you think?

Oliver Zolman MD

Chronological age: 27 (in 2020)

Key biological age data:

Horvath-Levine PhenoAge: 10 (Jan 2019)

Body fat 7% (Oct 2020)

BMI 19 (Oct 2020)

PWV 5.9m/s (Oct 2020)

Whoop HRV 5 day 110 ms (Oct 2020)

Longevity Level 1 Interventions

• Exercise 1 hour a day, 5000+ steps a day notified by apple watch, Apple Watch stand notifications, desk treadmill, standing desk, saddle chair, Track Active Physio Pro telemedicine (£35 per call), NHS physio (free), Babylon GP physio (£25 per call), elastic band exercises, gym membership, Dutch bike, Whoop watch total day strain tracking

• 20% CRON (2kcal) (2013 start)

• Low FODMAP, low methionine, low leucine, low AGE, low ALE, longevity level 1 diet, plant paradox adapted, 14 hour fasts, organic dirty dozen, organic unfiltered or high polyphenol extra virgin olive oil 25 - 50 mL per day, flaxseeds 20 - 25 g a day (10-15g ALA omega 3), walnuts and undutched dark chocolate and cocoa every day, quorn, avocados most days

• BMI 19

• 0.5 units red wine a day

Longevity Level 2 Interventions

Supplements:

• Coffee 30 g (60 mL) ground decaf a day) (due to RCTs on liver enzyme reduction and liver disease outcomes)

• Green tea organic loose leaf, 7.5 mL (due to RCTs for inflammation reduction and all cause mortality outcomes)

• Lithium 1 mg (100x lower dose than typical, as RDA of lithium is 1 mg based on studies, and no lithium naturally in water where I live)

• Lysine 2-3g (due to low meat and dairy intake, to bring up to omnivore range, benefits for whole body AGE prevention in rat studies and RCTs for anti-herpes virus activity)

• D3 2000 IU (to keep to 75-100nM optimal range for all cause mortality based on 2018 IPD meta analysis of 10+ confounder adjusted observational studies)

• K2 MK4 1mg, MK7 100 ug, K1 1.5mg (due to low intake on cronometer consistently, and effects of MK7 at this dose in RCTs)

• Lycopene 10mg (due to benefits of lycopene at this dose in RCTs), if not eating tomatoes

• Choline 165 mg, as 3.6 g sunflower lecithin (due to choline deficiency from cronometer)

• 100% RDA B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, 50% RDA MTHF, as premetabolised forms (as blood tests showed borderline deficiency in b1 and b2 without this, and 200% RDA b6 causes b6 to go above normal range for me)

• 250 ug B12 methylcobalamin (25 ug only gave me b12 deficiency, 250 gives middle of normal range)

• 2g ginger (to lower liver enzymes based on RCTs)

• 10 bn CFU probiotic (to reduce URTI and GI infection risk on days when I do not eat fermented foods, based on RCTs)

• lactoferrin 250 mg/wk (to reduce dental and URTI infection risk based on RCTs)

• colostrum 500mg (to reduce bloating and other GI symptoms, proven to reduce gut permeability in RCTs in non exercise conditions)

• creatine 5g (due to RCTs on strength gains and vegetarian low dairy diet)

• turmeric 1.2 g with 20 mg piperine and 600 mg ginger (based on RCTs for reducing inflammation and optimising cholesterol)

• collagen 10-20g (when injured, 30 mins before, based on RCT for injury recovery, also for muscle gain or if too low protein on one day based on RCTs as low mTOR boosting protein, disrupts sleep if taken at night)

• taurine 2g (for cardiovascular benefits based on RCTs)

• iodine 60 ug (based on cronometer, no iodised salt in UK and urine iodine:creatinine tests being low without)

• vitamin C 200 mg (if I do not reach 500 mg a day in diet, optimal to reach 70 nM blood level which is optimal for all cause mortality reduction)

• glucosamine sulphate 2KCl 1.5 g (based on RCTs for inflammation reduction and observational data for all cause mortality reduction and lung mortality reduction)

• HA 300 mg (experimenting with for injury recovery and replacement for tretinoin effect on skin, based on multiple RCTs in normal young people with injuries)

Sleep

• Blue and green light blocking glasses, TrueDark

• Blackout blinds

• Calm app

• Foam topper

• Red lights in house, Philips Hue system

• Morning 10k lux comes on automatically on a timer plug for 1 hour at 9 am to 10 am each day

• Whoop Watch sleep regularity tracking

• Contoured leg pillows with leg straps between legs x 2 in bed

• NAVY seal breathing technique

• Progressive muscle relaxation

• Only use bedroom for sleep

Skin

• Sun avoidance

• Tretinoin 0.05%

Dental

• BURST toothbrush

• Aloe toothpaste

• SmartFloss

• Tea tree oil in water or on toothbrush as mouthwash

• BiominF and Pro if sensitivity

• dental xray thyroid and brain lead-free shields

Mental health

• Calm app

• CBT apps

• CBT books

• Burnout questionnaires.

Immunity

• Bioscarf/FFP2/3 masks

• Heterosexual HPV 9 type vaccine

• HepA+B vaccine

Environment

• Airthings Wave Plus (Radon, CO2, TVOC, PM)

• PureMate UVC steriliser fans.

Longevity Level 3 Interventions

• tretinoin, niacinamide, azelic acid

• Zolman LASER skin protocol

5 Likes

I think it is quite a thoughtful protocol.

Perhaps the thing I most disagree with is Vitamin D. I think it is best to keep 25OHD at the upper range of normal which is the 200 nmol/l level. I find if I take only 3000iu in oil (which is more bioavailable than tablets) it drops down to 90 nmol/l. Yesterday I came in at 137 so I will top up with 25OHD itself. That will rapidly take me back to around 200.

I don’t know the Navy Seal breathing techniques, but I like a form of box breathing for controlling cortisol. (5 heartbeats in, 5 hold, 5 out, 5 hold).

However, I spent decades on a spectacularly unhealthy set of exogenous influences ending up with angina and chronic indigestion as well as hypertension and a BMI of around 35 and insomnia. Hence for me to get to where I am currently is IMO positive.

On the B vitamins I am not sure that RDA is enough. People do need to be careful about B6 because the normal B6 causes issues at higher levels, the active form is OK, however.

I am, however, an omnivore who eats what is close to a full English breakfast in Wetherspoons (a pub chain in the UK) close to every morning. I am not a fan of flax seeds, preferring chia seeds which I have for lunch with soup and cheese.

1 Like

Ah - but Zolman is an MD, so I’m assuming its evidence-based medicine :wink:

1 Like

The Lactoferrin sent me on a little trip. I just wanted to know if it would increase my already abundant iron burden or not. I’m all about killing bad bacteria in the mouth and the gut. Apparently it does just that, and according to these guys it will bind to your excess iron and keep it from causing trouble.

Anybody know of a down side to this?

2 Likes

This protocol feels like a full time job.

5 Likes

I also believe that the low carb diet approach is better than a plant based diet.

I was plant based during the pandemic and lost a lot of body composition. I’m 6’2” and dropped to 165 lbs from 185 lbs on a plant based diet. My T also dropped significantly.

I’ve slowly added added meat back in and removed carbs and I’m back to 182 lbs. I feel and look much healthier.

I’m trying the carnivore/ketovore diet for 90 days then will get bloodwork.

Carbs and sugar are your enemy is my approach

4 Likes

I tend to aim to keep my carbs level low and eat omnivore, but I am not persuaded that keto is the way to go. I do, however, try to kick into elements of ketosis with MCT oil and/or ketone esters. Intermittent ketosis seems OK, but trying to stay continually in ketosis does not appear warranted.

I am also 6’2", but would like to be perhaps 5 lbs lighter than my current 181 lbs (82 kg) although I do intend getting drunk when having dinner later today which won’t assist me in reducing weight.

On the other hand I now have my record low figure of under 0.16mg/L (0.016mg/dL) for C Reactive Protein

This is a good table that looks at the distribution of serum CRP by age and sex in two different locations. Sadly the columns are messed up.
https://academic.oup.com/view-large/200176855

That makes my figure (which happens to be lower than Bryan Johnson’s notwithstanding the fact that I am 17 years old than him) something which would be low for a male in the 25-34 age range.

How important serum CRP is is a matter for discussion, but I consider it one of the key markers.

4 Likes

So interesting! For those of you who are taking melatonin, I’d be interested in your protocol. I’ve been taking 3 to 5mg HS for over 30 years now (I travel for a living quite a bit and I change time zones between the US and Europe), but the dosages recommended in this article are monumentally higher than what I’m familiar with. (I was involved in sleep research for several years, but that was a while back.) What’s everyone else doing, dosage-wise?

I recently started taking 5 MG of melatonin based on the MB paper. I have also experimented with Glycine. Improving my sleep has been one of my main focuses. Both are less extreme than giving up alcohol which I’m also considering. I may also add tadalafil (unrelated to sleep). So that leaves me with:

Rapamycin.
Urolithin A
Metformin
Acarbose (only with high carb meals; less than 5-7 times a month)
Sirt6 Activator
Fisetin (high-dose two days a month)
NMN combo powder
5-day fasting quarterly

I think it’s pretty well-established, that some of these (e.g., NMN) don’t promote longevity, but I still take them.

3 Likes

What I am tending to do with alcohol at the moment is to make sure I don’t get drunk two days in a row. Often the first drunken night I end up sleeping reasonably well, but the second one can be a bit of a mess.

I also take dihyromyrectin and pantethine to minimise the effects of alcohol. There will always to some extent be the rebound, however. That can cause sleep issues.

2 Likes

I take 24 before bed and avoid blue light, leave 12 on the bed stand in case I have to wake up for something.

Mostly for sleep, but it is supposed to be a longevity thing so I’m not too worried and have no side effects.

Unfortunately, alcohol is much more damning. Sleep quality is just as important as sleep quantity. Alcohol fragments your sleep and suppresses REM sleep. Given how important wine is to my life this is quite a blow!

4 Likes

I agree with you. My sleep and recovery scores from WHOOP and or Oura ring are much lower when I drink. I have been trying some KAVA KAVA alternative and tried limiting the amount of alcohol which seems to help. HRV resting heart rate are the most noticealbe changes.

2 Likes

Whenever I drink, it takes far too long for my heart rate to dip. I would have to stop drinking at noon, which sort of defeats the purpose.

Anyone interested in longevity should be laser focused on sleep. I highly recommend Matthew Walker’s book “Why We Sleep”. Or any podcast where he is being interviewed, and they are legion.

If you don’t want to give up alcohol check out Zbiotics. Dave Asprey did a recent podcast with the scientist who developed this probiotic you consume prior to drinking alcohol which nullifies most of the deleterious effects.

1 Like