Can you share your Longevity / HealthSpan Regime?

Yes, exactly. I take NMN for healthspan.

2 Likes

I take 1 g of NMN daily along with 1 g of TMG. It is definitely for Healthspan. I don’t feel as tired and worn out at the end of the day when I take NMN. When I got home from work in pre-NMN days, I would take a shower, eat dinner and collapse. Now I have enough energy to last until bedtime which equates to an extra 2 hours of time a day. Also, I don’t feel tired in the morning when I wake up even without coffee. It’s the same energy level I had when I was at University and pulled all-nighters with little effect.

The fact that it may aid the growth of cancer scares me though. Is there any data that quantifies this risk? I heard it won’t give you cancer and even protect you from it, but if you already have cancer, it may supercharge it. Same holds true for anti-oxidants as your body uses oxidation to attack cancer. So if you have cancer you should stay away from NMN and anti-oxidants? Am I off base on this? I am not a doctor and just trying to process what I have picked up here and there…

3 Likes

I have been taking Pure Synergy’s Eye Protector for a while. (https://www.thesynergycompany.com/eye-protector). As opposed to the usual drug store supplements that are based off of the AREDS study and contain uneccesary additives, this one had the best and most logical ingredients (blackcurrant extract, free lutein and zeaxanthin, astaxanthin etc…) based on the current research at least in my opinion. It’ worth a look but it is a little pricey though.

Also in regards to Ashwaghanda or any other supplement for that matter, its important that you do your research on if thats the best fit for you. Ashwaghanda is known to have hormonal effects (mostly by increasing testosterone) which for some with PCOS, hormonal cancers, autoimmune conditions especially relating to the thyroid (as Ashwaghanda can overactivate the thyroid) isn’t recommended. Although it does act as an adaptogen its always good to weigh the benefit and risks when taking it long term.

3 Likes

You may already be aware of this, but another way to skin the NAD+ cat is to suppress the enzyme CD38 which inhibits NAD+. One way to do that is to take apigenin.

By the way, do you get a lot of gas from the acarbose?

2 Likes

You can moderate the gas problem with acarbose via your diet. There are reports (both in the scientific literature, and from users and doctors) that the side-effects can be highly diet related - specifically “Wheat” seems to cause a lot of the GI issues - people who largely avoid wheat are apparently spared the worst side effects. Rich Miller discussed this in the recent LiveLonger World Podcast

2 Likes

I can confirm that, at least for me.

I am celiac, so I can’t eat wheat and I don’t have big gas problems with acarbose.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Just my opinion. n=1:
After spending big bucks for months on various NR and NMN products including the lab-tested brands. There were nada, subjectively or measurable, effects.
I personally think that it is a scam intentional or unintentional based on very questionable science.

3 Likes

New video by Dr. Brad Stanfield:

1 Like

Dr. Green’s dose is way beyond 0.1 mg per Kg. But then, like me, he is well beyond 47 yo.

1 Like

I have felt that way about many supplements I have been on. I just started NMN, but I have a high bar to clear before I buy again.

Nice approach!!. A few comments. Why do broccoli juice vs. broccoli sprouts ( frozen for best sulforaphane dose). I have not heard of doing the juice, but interested in why this is picked to control p53 mutations. Also, calcium! I know that the history has been to recommend especially in menopausal women for bone density. However, an article that came out, I believe in New England Journal of Medicine that showed no improvement in bone density and an increased risk of kidney stones and plaque formation in the arteries. I will try to find and post it.

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Do you have a reference for this?

Robin is a regular rapamycin twitter poster, I don’t know if he’s on our forums… I agree with you, broccoli sprouts (frozen) are probably best source for juicing or smoothie additions.

3 Likes

Freezing of sprouts:

3 Likes

I think the effectiveness of NMN is also determined by the state of the user. NMN is the first supplement I started taking, and I was probably in an unhealthy state with low energy, so I probably saw more pronounced effects. Likewise, you probably have been exercising, taking supplements, and doing other healthy things. If NMN brings your energy up a tad you might not notice it, but for me, the differential was quite noticeable.

Anecdotally, I had a stock trade that went bad on me earlier in the week and I could only get 3 hours of sleep. Prior to NMN, I would be a zombie the next day. This time, I was functioning at about 90% energy capacity and not making nearly as many mistakes as I would have before. In the past, I would also take a 4-hour nap when I got home. This time, I only needed 15 minutes. Of course, it could be the other supplements or the mild exercise I do as compared to before. Each of us is different and the different interventions have different effects based on a huge number of factors. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. If you already have the benefits NMN would give you from something else, it may not be useful to you.

3 Likes

Very well could be true. “If it ain’t broke, it don’t need fixin’.”
Some well-respected people still take it. I have to do everything I can to keep my supplement stack under control.
You also mentioned a lack of sleep due to stress.
Eliminating stress should be near the top of the sleep hygiene list.
Sometimes I use l-theanine and valerian before bed to keep my mind from racing if I have had a stressful day.

1 Like

Unfortunately, as an options trader stress is par for the course. I will usually have 1-2 stressful days that affect my sleep each month. It’s also why a lot of financial guys drop dead in their 50s from CVD. I plan to not do this. Trading options is how I make a living so I need to deal with that stress as effectively as possible.

I live in Hong Kong but trade the American market which is unfortunately for me 9 pm to 4 am my time. Hence sometimes I need to be up at 1-4 am if there’s a problem.

2 Likes

Taking melatonin, I presume to keep your biological clock in sync with your work clock?

I do take melatonin on occasions when I need to sleep. The hardest part is when I wake up after 1 am, I sometimes have a hard time going back to sleep. I usually wake up at 5:30 am and try to get to bed around 10 pm. I usually do my research and plan my trades during the day and then execute them from 9 pm to 10 pm and then go to bed. Normally I will wake up around 1 am to use the toilet, and then check on the market. If there’s something that needs handling, I handle it. If not, I go back to bed. Taking melatonin at 1 am throws my schedule out of whack so I usually don’t do that. Sometimes I will take melatonin right before I go to bed, but I am finding it is getting less and less effective.

1 Like