Can Wearables Really Track Blood Pressure Without the Cuff? I Tested Them. (WSJ 11th Oct 2026)

https://www.wsj.com/health/wellness/blood-pressure-monitoring-rings-watches-98949dde?st=FyXX7z&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

As someone with a family history of hypertension, I wanted to know if the cuffless tech could help me, or if they’re just pricey, anxiety-inducing doodads. The devices provided a good sense of my long-term trends, but they can’t entirely replace the arm squeeze—at least not yet.

…

In 2025, the American Heart Association issued a statement saying that, while cuffless devices have potential, there are “unanswered questions” around their accuracy.

They use optical sensors to detect blood pulsing through your veins, and machine-learning models to analyze the data to estimate blood pressure. Like sleep staging, it’s an inference, not a direct measurement.

Dr. Eugene Yang, a professor at University of Washington School of Medicine and an author of the AHA’s statement, explained that while there is a rigorous testing standard around cuffs, there’s no industrywide standard for consumer wearables.

While Yang notes that health trackers can encourage healthier lifestyles—and even prompt a conversation with a physician in the event of a blood-pressure alert—he’s concerned that false negatives might give people with hypertension a false sense of security.

Some day cuffless monitors might win over physicians and the AHA. For now, they’ve got me thinking about my blood pressure, and realizing that I need to start each workday with a big, deep breath.

2 Likes

I don’t even have faith in my well-reviewed unit from amazon, and it has a cuff on it.
Increasing my olmesartan dose to 30mg this week, so I hope it’s been reading low.

1 Like

Full article:

https://www.wsj.com/health/wellness/blood-pressure-monitoring-rings-watches-98949dde?st=FyXX7z&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink