Can I expect my mood to improve on rapamycin?

Maybe? :smiley:

First off, you can’t “expect” much of anything on rapamycin–results are fairly unique, as is ideal dosage. We’re all doing a lot of guessing here.

Some folks have reported a boost to mood, for sure. A sense of clarity and optimism and even a sort of giddy joy. Others have said there’s a period of drop, of down, of what might almost be called depression, but that it passes.

Some don’t notice anything at all, mood-wise.

So, you can’t really expect. Rapamycin is an experiment. One that some of us take on gladly, while keeping in mind how little we actually can be sure of.

6 Likes

I want to add that I’m on my 10th month of weekly rapa, and plan to continue, despite the un- or semi-pleasant effects I experience.

I’ve had a lot of rapa-caused “side effects” (I quote that phrase because we don’t really know what’s incidental, and what’s instead a sign of rapa doing the work).

Some of the rapa-caused effects are entirely transitory. The effects of my first ever dose of 1mg never repeated (search for my first post, if you’re curious.) Some effects only showed up many months in. Others happened only once. Every time I take rapa, I understand that it’s a biochemical adventure. It’s clearly not idempotent. :smiley:

2 Likes

I think I have become less autistic since taking Rapamycin. The effect could also be a normal part of an aging brain and have nothing to do with Rapa.

3 Likes

Some people report improvement of mood but i think its a minority so i would not say to expect anything. In fact the most common outome is nothing noticeable either pro or con.

I think it takes at least six months to notice anything. At least that was my experience.

4 Likes

I took my dose yesterday and feel amazing today now that I’ve stopped my statin. Could the improved mood be related to cholesterol levels?

The answer is yes.

3 Likes

Alex_Barton, It’s not likely to have any noticeable effect on serotonin or dopamine for most people.

3 Likes

No, it’s probably something else decreasing cholesterol levels and decreasing mood. Probably reverse causation with a poor diet, malnutrition, like someone only eating cornflakes because of depression or something. Strongest causal association between mood/lipids is triglycerides.

Statins tend to decrease rates of depression.
Of course if someone gets side effects like muscle pains that will decrease their mood.

3 Likes

mood doesn’t come out of a pill, it comes out of you

1 Like

No, no, no no. I have taken plenty of mood-altering pills. :laughing: :sweat_smile: :rofl:

2 Likes

You got my there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but seriously, those are just temporary illusions of happiness and wellbeing. True happiness comes from inside and it’s even a feeling you have control over

1 Like

The number one natural mood elevator, IMO, and a cure for much of depression is exercise. Unfortunately, it is hard to get depressed people to exercise.

5 Likes

@desertshores You are right, as you usually are. But there are several very good (and easy) mood elevating interventions available to us all, such as sunshine (a few minutes), singing (in the shower, while driving), smiling (try it), being touched by another person (even a haircut), petting a dog (or an appreciative cat), smelling grass or flowers, laughing (lots of funny videos on youtube). I’m going to do all of these today.

5 Likes

Wish i could! I have CFS and get worse if I exercise. I used to be a climber, skier and sailor. I’m hoping rapamycin makes me feel much better and able to get back to fun exercise like that. I know it’s unlikely, but even well enough to walk would be great.

2 Likes

Not sure if you’ve seen this thread, but we did poll our forum members to report on all the benefits they’ve experienced on rapamycin, you can see results here: Anti-aging Benefits of Rapamycin, Personal Experiences (part 2)

1 Like

I realize everyone has different experiences, but can you let me know what you noticed after those six months?

Move along, nothing to see here.

3 Likes

My experience using rapamycin for 2 years+
Greater energy through the entire day, stronger, leaner (lost about 20lbs using metformin and canagliflozin, weight easier to lose and stays off with rapamycin), at 59 years old I’m rock climbing again after a 15 year hiatus and as strong as when I was in my 30s - climbing at 5.10a, b and c levels at indoor rock climbing gyms, whitewater kayaking class 3 and 4, Biological age according to Levine Phenotypic calculations is 43 to 45 years (about 15 years better than chron age.).Sadly - didn’t do pre/post biological age tests . All aches and pains gone away, greater resilience to sleep deprivation (when it happens). Good energy between 7am and 12 midnight. No feeling need for naps, or rests mid-day.

Positives: better exercise performance especially over time. Toenail fungal infection clearing up. Mild weight loss (3-8 #). Gums/ gingival tissues healthier (hygienist even commented). Better asthma control. Cons: Aphthous ulcers. Difficulty sleeping the first night post dose. Mild skin infections ( friend took zpak after arm pustule developed).

See others commentary on this here: Anti-aging Benefits of Rapamycin, Personal Experiences (part 2)

3 Likes