Cannabinoids/cannabis/CBD/THC - can they slow aging in strange ways?

I don’t really like the cognitive effects [most of the time], but I microdose from time to time and use Kiva sleeping formulations to sleep. I also only use edibles.

1 Like

I’ve been taking 30 mg’s of cbd every day for a couple years but I stopped a few months ago when I started rapamycin due to reports that cbd strongly increases the effective dose. I’d probably start taking it again if I ever find out what dose does this & how reliable it is (i.e. is it like grapefruit). Many reports seem to indicate to my non-expert eye that there may be some positive medical value to at least cbd & maybe even a good synergy w/ rapa.

I’m 20 y/o my pre-rapa n=1 data. I used to sadly smoke weed, anyway.

These blood values were fasted;

Glucose 4.28mmol/l - 77 ng/dl
Insulin 1.7mU/L - 12.2pmol/l (below reference range)
HOMA index 0.3
HbA1c 5.3%

It seems to be true.

Does anyone know the cheapest way to get an important enough dose of CBD?

When I was experimenting with CBD I found buying bulk isolate powder was the cheapest. Bluebird botanicals and Lazarus naturals were the best prices I found for it at the time. A little googling usually gave me a coupon code for them to help drop the cost. I’d either make sure to take it with a fat or mix it with mct oil to make my own CBD oil.

1 Like

Somehow taking a lot of THC made me feel less uncomfortable after sleep deprivation (tho i would stll rather go for CBD only)

https://www.lazarusnaturals.com/collections/default-category-shop-shop-all/products/cbd-oil-tincture-full-spectrum-high-potency?variant=47973026464037 is $0.02 per mg, I saw a site that’s 0.01 per mg
(this one Lazarus Naturals, High Potency Full Spectrum CBD Tincture Oil, Natural Flavor, 4oz, 6000mg CBD - CBD.market )

A Review on Studies of Marijuana for Alzheimer’s Disease – Focusing on CBD, THC - PMC says THC + CBD synergy but chinese study so…
Frontiers | Therapeutic properties of multi-cannabinoid treatment strategies for Alzheimer’s disease “entourage effect” [also heard skepticism of it but worth investigating futher]. This is also the most good-faith study i found so far

Thoughts around this recent review? It would seem to not be a good anti-aging strategy if this is correct.

Association of Cannabis Use With Cardiovascular Outcomes Among US Adults

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.123.030178#:~:text=Cannabis%20use%20is%20associated%20with%20increased%20risk%20of%20myocardial%20infarction,found%20in%20never%E2%80%90tobacco%20smokers.

1 Like

Any widespread study of cannabis smokers is automatically suspect unless you only take in those who do oral tinctures, b/c smoking is that bad for you and ppl still do it

In vivo studies show that low-dose THC can improve cognitive performance. For example, (sub) chronic administration of 1.5 mg/kg THC improved the learning and memory of male Sprague Dawley rats (Suliman et al., 2018), and a single injection of 0.002 mg/kg THC reversed age-associated cognitive impairments in 24-month-old female ICR mice

Hm I do notice I feel better after VERY low THC doses, but definitely not better after any more than “very low”. the best dose of THC is sub-psychoactive (which weed smokers definitely aren’t doing)

low dose is “up to 3mg/day orally in humans”

HOWEVER, I did take a 2.5mg tincture that made me feel way too “zoned out” on 7-april-2024. I then took half of it and that was still a bit too much, it may take like 0.75, easier with oral. Or little nibbles of the stuff. Also CBD seems to potentiate THC in not the best way (psychoactively).

1 Like

My main critique of that study is that they didn’t segment into smoked vs. ingested. I suspect the main negative outcome group is the smoked. It leaves a void in something that should have been done, and there is no reason to have not isolated route of consumption into the analysis.
My personal experience with heavier users is whether due to factors that led to them consuming heavily or due to the drug - it is a strong negative on life success, increases psychosis and certainly doesn’t have me impressed by any intellectual improvement. However, the population I see in the ER is different than the individual focused on health, with a reasonable intellect taking a bit of oral THC.

The Impact of Marijuana Use on Glucose, Insulin, and Insulin Resistance among US Adults

Conclusions

We found that marijuana use was associated with lower levels of fasting insulin and HOMA-IR, and smaller waist circumference.

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-93431300200-3/fulltext

Despite the long-known orexigenic properties of cannabinoids, in light of recent studies, CBD appears to have properties that reduce food intake [49,50,51]. Interestingly, studies on the endocannabinoid system and the control of food intake have shown that high doses of cannabinoids have orexigenic effects and low doses have anorexigenic effects [52]. This finding translates into the potential use of cannabinoids in the treatment of obesity-related conditions. Furthermore, there are scientific reports confirming the effect of CBD on vasodilation and its therapeutic effect on endothelial dysfunction, which may be due to diabetes or high glucose intake [53]. Thanks to its properties, CBD has an effect on the cardiovascular system, which is due to the activation of the TRPV channel, nuclear factor-kB (NF-κB),

My BP… did… decrease last week, and I did start doing small doses again (this also corresponds to my transitioning to canagliflozin)
And I haven’t been overeating calories either (when I binge I only binged on tomatoes)

So many confounds lol.

I did get high and caused a mild (forgettable) social mess when I took a 1mg THC/10mg CBD pill last year [that was unexpected]. Sometimes the relative ratio matters, sometimes tolerance matters, b/c other times 1mg feels nothing and doing 1mg more often is probably optimal given what I’m learning lately

https://twitter.com/Caldwbr/status/1779212774255550621

This says oral too, IDK dose

1 Like

@AlexKChen

Ever use of marijuana and each additional marijuana-year were associated with a 6-month (P< 0.001) and a 2.5-month (P < 0.001) higher average in GrimAge acceleration (GAA) using generalized estimating equations, respectively. Recent use and ***each additional day of recent use were associated ***with a 20-month (P < 0.001) and a 1-month (P < 0.001) higher GAA, respectively.

how is marijuana-year calculated? what was the minimum dose they tested and was it oral cannabis? Like, 1mg of THC per day for 1/3 of days in a month?

Looked at the epigenetic studies, the strongest resulta are for AHRR and hydrocarbon inhalation - neither which apply for oral use