@DrFraser Agree that the aging clocks are still early. Was not anchoring to that specific result, but more around the overall health benefits they found in the Yale clinical trial (documented in several of the other papers).
Also def not saying it is CR vs rapa/molecules. It does not at all have to be an “or” but can be an “and”. Actually think some of the longevity molecules, eg Acarbose and SGLTi’s, can help achieve some amounts of CR with less difficulty.
There is an error here as this is not CR for longevity as I understand it.
CR is reducing calorie intake so metabolic rate, calorie output or burn decreases so weight loss does not happen. Otherwise you would starve to death as you keep rebalancing the CR for the new weight.
I was talking about the transition from doing whatever one is doing now to having CR comparatively.
If you simply want to do an estimated calories based on IBW for a sensible body composition based on gender and height there are formulas for that - but also would need to modify for activity.
Measuring the effects, I’d favor DEXA, but you can increase body fat % if you primarily lose muscle and vice versa.
The one below shows no consistent effect with BP or HR despite literature contrary suggesting on average both should go down. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29518898/
FWIW: Several temperature readings were taken at my primary providers office and two at my dermatologist’s office (testing for Covid) in the last 18 months. They ranged from 97 to 97.6 degrees f.
That is a little below statistical averages, so if that is evidence of CR, maybe my calculations were correct.
Practicing a caloric restriction, but nutrient dense diet provided amazing results. After eight months, I started taking rapamycin and was quite impressed in the amount of energy, clarity and overall sense of well-being. I experienced only 10 weeks.
Bear in mind I am 69 years old having had double aortic valve replacements, two bouts of bacterial endocarditis requiring 12 weeks of antibiotic therapy twice. I have been in and out of the hospital over the last several years and in hospice twice. Practicing caloric restriction with intermittent fasting definitely improved my overall health, although I was still fighting, a chronic undiagnosed malady no doctor has described it as bacterial, viral or auto immune. Either way it seems that Rapp myosin is targeting this malady or it has improved my immune system enough that I can actually feel it targeting this unknown disease. I definitely believe my immune system And circulatory system have improved, even though I was physically active before.
I recommend anyone who is considering taking this medication to find a reputable telemedicine company. If they don’t request a blood test before prescribing this medication, I would not be too convinced of their credibility. I stumbled onto Ageless RX and the first thing they did after I paid my hundred dollars was to arrange an appointment for a blood test Close to my house. I expected to pay an additional charge, but it appears Ageless RX incorporates the cost of the blood test and the medication at $100 a month. That combined with their excellent customer service has made me a lifetime customer.
I tried CRON for a year, here in the silicon valley when the trend first started. One of the CR mailing list members wife started a small business selling the premade meals from Walford’s book and for approximately six months I was eating about 30 percent fewer calories. I lost a lot of weight, had to wear a sweater even in the summer, and was constantly hungry. There are definitely some negative side effects.
I think the reason people/ researchers have given it up is it’s really hard, and likely appeals to a very small portion of the population in the USA.
By the way, -30% is probably way too much, Crers in the CR society forum, before it shut down, were discussing about t a -10 or 15% optimum, harder CR maybe causing excessive frailty, impairment of immune system, glucose intolerance.
My point about CR is that it may not be suited to everyone. CR is undoubtedly very good for overweight people who want to lose progressively weight, whereas some other people have problems not losing weight.
Like myself. And I hate to look too frail or slim, having a preference for a muscular phenotype.
By the way, Valter Longo, the eminent gerontologist, is against CR, whereas Luigi Fontana, another eminent gerontologist, is very much in favor of it. Go figure!
Halter Longo is not against CR. In fact his fasting mimicking diet is basically a way to fool your body into thinking it’s being calorically restricted. I find when I load my body with nutritionally dense food my appetite disappears. I believe food is either medicine or poison. The more unnecessary food we eat the sicker we get when we eat strategically to provide the necessary nutrients and avoid unnecessary calories we thrive.
To be more precise, Valter Longo supports this double-layered strategy:
The longevity diet. That’s a normo-caloric, not CR-like, diet which includes fish 3 times a week, excludes almost totally fruit and dairy products and has the characteristic of being a low glycemic load diet. The bulk is vegetables with some cereals. He explicitly recommends that calories must not be higher nor lower than the individual’s need.
2)The fast mimicking diet. This is a diet that has a timespan of 5 days and can be repeated from once a year to once a month, depending on the state of health. Its purpose is to trigger longevity boosting signals or in some cases to cure some conditions (and these are the instances of once-a-month frequency).
I am a 71 year old man who has been taking rapamycin for two years. I had been practicing caloric restriction for approximately six months before starting treatment. At the time of treatment I had been walking my 10,000 steps. My weight at the start of treatment was 129 pounds.
Shortly after starting treatment, I started a regime of my steps combined with 50 push-ups and 60 curls of 20 pounds. After four months I am now 137 and have developed noticeable muscle improvement.
I believe that caloric restriction requires strategic eating. Nothing goes in my mouth, unless I believe it gives more nutrition than what digestion requires. I give myself a four hour feeding window. I have found most days I reached my nutritional goals within two hours.
Without delving into my complex and extensive medical history, I have been placed in hospice twice. Before starting treatment, I was on three blood pressure medication’s, and a daily blood pressure monitoring program. my last monthly blood pressure average was 124/60 without any medication.
My conclusion is that rapamycin does not cause sarcopinia
An anecdotal encounter some of you might find amusing. I switched doctors and the first thing they did was test my cognitive ability which proved to be frustrating and irritating. Then the nurse immediately took my blood pressure. Systolic was 155 which is high for me.
When the doctor came in, he re-took my blood pressure systolic was 201. I told him I had a severe case of white coat, hypertension he didn’t laugh.
Since I take my blood pressure daily per my cardiologist, I suggested I take it when I got home. My blood pressure was 101/60 which is more typical. Any ideas what this suggests besides my aggravation?My question is is it an indication of metabolic flexibility?
I once had a doctor’s appt. for 10:00 and I like being on time. I was delivering a semi trailer for work to be done and wife was in the city already. She was going to pick me up and take me to the doctor’s appointment. As I dropped off the trailer she called and said she was stuck behind a train. Sioux City is crazy with trains and they can set you back 15 minutes if you are not careful. I replied that I could see the train from where I was, high on top of a hill, the train was going walking speed and a quarter mile from crossing my road. I told her to get out of line and stay on her side of the tracks, meet me a few blocks south and I’d cross on foot. Deal.
I had to run down a couple blocks to a major highway, cross and another couple blocks to the train crossing, the bars were down and red lights flashing but you could see the train going really slower than walking speed and I could have crawled across easily beating the thing by minutes. So I ran around the bars and the second my foot hit the tracks he blew his horn at me. Holy crap you could hear it 10 miles away. It nearly stopped my heart. Now I’m sprinting away from the tracks on the other side, worried I’m being followed. A couple blocks and I’m slowing down and noticing that I’m short on air. Not being followed. Gently loped to the meeting place with my wife and she came rolling up. We got to the doctors appt and I was breathing normally and got straight in. Nurse took my BP right away and said “you have high blood pressure”. Can’t win.
Many years ago, I wanted to lose a bit of weight (10-15 lbs.) so talked to my doctor at the time. I asked him about the Atkins diet, since my father-in-law was using that. He was only eating fatty, high-protein foods with no carbs at all. My doctor recommended against that, and said I should just eat 10% less. However, I struggled with how one would just cut out 10% of your food. Beer was easy. Just dump a couple of ounces of a 12 oz can down the drain. Not so easy with a plate of food. People in Okinawa claim to eat until they’re 80% full. I suppose just eat until you hit the base satisfied level and stop. Any suggestions of how do 10% without using scales or other complicated systems would be appreciated.