Bryan Johnson, Is he the New Poster Child for Rapamycin Use?

Hahaha… that was a hilarious review of the Bryan Johnson blueprint.

Bryan is 48 years old and only 5 years toward his goal of 18 years??? Huh!!

Sorry… I am almost 65 and getting 15 year returns on multiple biological tests.

My blueprint a lot easier - every other day… gym (1 hour 15 minutes), rapamycin, TRT, Acarbose and a few supplements (not 100 supplements).

He has money to burn… and suffering while attempting to live longer… not my thing.

6 Likes

I’ve watched a few interviews of Bryan since he recently went viral because I wanted to get a sense of where he’s coming from. He does seems like the archetypal tech bro looking for immortality. Weirdly, he also seems to give off an uncanny valley type vibe, which is a bit unsettling. But I do believe he’s genuinely trying to do something important.

He was interviewed by Tom Bilyeu who has a massive following on Youtube. It’s interesting, there’s a lot of sense in what he’s doing, it’s just that he’s clearly slightly divorced from reality and I think that his pitch comes across as grandiose and unattainable. But I don’t think that detracts from what he’s trying to do, it’s just that he frequently wanders into philosophical notions and seems fixated on the idea that somehow Blueprint will allow him to transcend his humanity, which makes it a hard sell. On the one hand, he’s trying to build a framework to measure aging and to try to optimize himself and that is reasonable and necessary, but he comes across as completely self-serving and it’s hard at times to take him seriously.
But, all that said, I genuinely think he and his team are trying to move the science forward. Over the last few years, it does seem that we’re beginning to see pathways to materially slow and potentially reversing aging, so it’s not all that far fetched to suggest that he could actually be making progress. It makes sense to me that tracking biomarkers over multiple organs is how you would try to go about it- even if the results are questionable.
I don’t think we can assume that any improvements he’s made are solely down to Rapa. There are so many variables involved. What he’s doing is inevitable and it’s also a sign that things are moving forward, it’s just that he’s probably not a great advocate.

8 Likes

Agetron, you are the standard everyone else will follow.

Bryan Johnson is getting PR/propaganda.

The facts…

Johnson big hat, no cattle.

Agetron no hat, alot of cattle!

9 Likes

Hahaha… well, I hope that my cattle isn’t all BULL … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I certainly have learned so much from RapAdmin… and the smart people on this site.

So, I am definitely benefitting from my fellow experimental guinea pigs!

Learned about Acarbose, Grapefruit juice enhancement, Coronary Calcium Scan, DEXA… and it goes on and on. Thanks All!

6 Likes

The tests he takes lack dimensionality - and there’s no evidence that any change corresponds to a change in risk - validation of biomarkers are important - I’ve seen way too many chasing of biomarkers that go straight for the graveyard. There’s a big jump in logic he’s making. He also claimed to be taking senolytics that wasn’t mentioned in his “Blueprint”. Not sure how he is going to measure that without constant biopsies. I suspect he isn’t measuring it.

I’d also mention that he doesn’t appear to be doing the most cutting-edge testing - multiomics - hardly a high-dimensional dataset even if we are going on unvalidated labs. Missing so much on the cellular, immune, and systems level - the amount of biomarkers he has is just a tiny sliver of all the possible ways you can measure a biological system to extract any potential insight.

3 Likes

(Post deleted by user)

I don’t disagree with you at all. I take this all with a healthy does of skepticism and I have mixed feeling about it. Although, I feel as though there’s a lot that he’s not talking about. As I mentioned an employee of his told my wife that he was injecting stem cells into his brain, and that’s not mentioned anywhere. I’m not sure, but I assume that he’s doing a lot more than he’s sharing. But we just don’t know.
However, despite all of the apparent holes and questions, I believe that his approach is at least a beginning of a potential framework for health in the future. Whether it’s an iteration of his approach or another one we’re heading in the direction of quantifying aging biology in real time. If we project the evolution of this twenty years into the future, it will probably have real utility. It’s just that right now, as you said he’s making a huge leap in logic.

3 Likes

Agreed, there’s likely more than the media or publicly facing parts - it sounds like he’s looking at experimental gene therapy soon, but perhaps he has some sense to be patient on going there as most of these gene editing options are not even close to ready for prime time. I’m not sure there’s much we can glean from what he’s presenting currently, especially if he is in fact doing a lot more - the possibility of erroneous interpretations from a lack of sharing data and previous (or current) interventions that may be relevant increases a lot more.

I can’t rule out any real utility to this current approach, but I’m not sure there’s much one can get from this, at least currently - it doesn’t even seem like publishable data, but I guess we’ll see.

1 Like

Another new video on Bryan Johnson and his protocol:

3 Likes

Can ezetimibe be used by itself? It seems like it’s always prescribed with a statin. If I want to avoid any statin side effects, maybe Zetia on its own is a decent alternative

Or with bempedoic acid.

Ezetimibe on it’s own has worked for me.

1 Like

Could you give an idea of what dosages you take and what kind of results you’ve seen in LDL and ApoB

10mg per day.
Takes it bit longer than statins to do the job but my LDL-c has gone from around 7 to less than 3. (European units - less than 3 is back in normal range)
I’m away at the moment so can’t give you exact numbers. Will update with all details including APOB which will be measured as soon as I get back.
I had bad side effects with statins so couldn’t take them.

1 Like

The latest Bryan Johnson video… all about his testing routine:

Does anyone know anything about that foot test he’s doing. Seems like something we can all do pretty easily, and monitor.

I found a few references that seem relevant, when searching on “age heel measurement for touch sensitivity threshold”. Anyone know what that device is that they used to measure?

Aging and the Relationship between Balance Performance, Vestibular Function and Somatosensory Thresholds (PDF)

Here: https://www.advancedotology.org/Content/files/sayilar/105/328-337(1).pdf

and:

hennig2009sensitivitymappingofthehumanfootthresholdsat30skinlocations.pdf (973.8 KB)

Googled for a bit and found this (two point discrimination test) which seems to be a test used on various parts of the body https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-point_discrimination . It looks like they’re just using a caliper where she sets it to a distance like 4 mm and sees if he can discern it as two points by the touch of it to his heel. Calipers like these https://www.amazon.com/metric-caliper/s?k=metric+caliper should work

1 Like

Logo on it is “CelLuma”

1 Like

The Bryan Johnson press coverage continues…

Interesting that he recently is using “Founder & CEO of Blueprint”. Seems to perhaps be formalizing towards becoming an offering, service, set of products or something?

1 Like