Bryan Johnson, Is he the New Poster Child for Rapamycin Use?

Perhaps, but there does seem to be a lot of logic, data and N=1 (and probably other of Oliver’s clients) testing whenever parts of his protocol are discussed.

Most of the “100” pills he takes are kind of stuff we can get from food, like aged garlic, etc and don’t seem that risky?

Still, I agree that he is aggressive on the pharmaceutical side too.

But it does not seems to be the kitchen sink approach - he is for instance not doing some of the top favorites on this forum - SGLTi, Mitopure/UA, DAV, etc, as far I can tell?

I read somewhere that he is trying to answer the question:

• what if control of aging already is possible - but with the totally of the knowledge needed spread out among many hundreds of thousands different papers and studies - but holistic protocols have just never been put together and tested for real to leverage that understanding to its full potential
  • (and the corollary - what if, even if we not are there yet, we are approaching the point where above will be true - eg in 5 or 10 or 15 years)

It likely will NOT be just one pill or therapy. And even the extend of the protocols on this forum are likely only giving us a decade or two extra vs what living a life based on our “mothers advice” would yield.

He also seems to believe there is some real probability that human kind might reach full longevity escape within either this or the next generation - and he’d really want to have a chance of being part of that.

In that context taking some risk that things in his protocol combined may shorten his life by say 5-10% (or do you think he is risking more than that?) might be worth it if he believes it might buy him even just a very, very small probability increase of intercepting longevity escape velocity and perhaps adding 100s or 1000s of % to his life span (and seeing a future that he seems to believe will be much better and have more powerful experiences than the present).

3 Likes

Anything is possible but you are trying to thread a very fine needle. I just don’t have time to consider all the what ifs….maybe I’ll miss something important. I’ll keep watching.

2 Likes

Yes, that is the change in his rapa protocol that I mention in my original post.

My guess it that they are carefully looking at what his rapa blood levels will be at different points of peaks and valleys of this protocol.

And perhaps they actually do not want a complete washout. Most ITP results - rapa and other compounds - did not have any complete washout, but were more like chronic dosing I think? That is also the case with most CR studies which partially overlap mechanistically with rapa.

So Bryan/Oliver may actually not be targeting a complete exit from any trace level of rapa in his system, but may want some level do be there even in the valleys. Not sure we can really argue that that hypothesis is worse than a hypothesis that rapa should be fully washed out now and then?

2 Likes

Yes (but it’s not me, but rather a near billionaire with 30+ docs and other experts + basically unlimited ability to test all types of assays in a repeat way

I wonder how many other people are part of Oliver’s clients that are going aggressive - they are getting data from those people too).

1 Like

If he has no side effects from accumulation of rapa, then he only has to worry about unseen and unfelt side effects. I did get noticeable side effects (pimples, boils, mouth sores) when I did weekly dosing with no breaks.

3 Likes

Btw, given that we are discussing rapa a lot here, people may want to look at this big review that is just out:

3 Likes

I watched the interview, which I consider one of his best presentations of his agenda. He stated that he trusts nobody but the numbers and is about to launch another stage of his BP program by delivering food, supplements to our (consumers’) doors for us to just blindly consume it 3 times a day in hope to achieve what he has already achieved. It’s a kind of a cookie-cutter way to treat everybody with one size fits all approach. I don’t buy it. We are all different and what works for Bryan may not work for me. His bio parameters are measured, not mine, and mine are most likely different from his and therefore his designer formula may not benefit my needs. I had a feeling that he looks at us as a crowd with crowd mentality (reminds me Hitler’s approach) and he envisions himself as our leader who would guide us for survival and immortality. It’s a little laughable taking into consideration what is happening in the world right now. Just my 2 cents.

5 Likes

Do you really think Oliver has any other clients? I suspect Bryan is pretty high maintenance and is likely his only client right now… Of course his plan is to expand.

1 Like

Not sure that is a fair characterization. It seems that he is really trying to arrange so that several thousands of people do a lot of testing (blood work, ideally body composition/dexa, etc) and in that sense is putting the blueprint “light” components/product to the test and inviting scrutiny and objective data

See below and also @Paul_2.0 s post

1 Like

Not sure. I know he was building this whole systematic set of framework with all the body sub-system measurement and optimization protocols for a while - and before BJ I think.

I’d imagine that there are other wealthy individuals that have reached out to him and want to do a version of the data rich, optimal protocol (and that they’d generally want to keep it private). But I’m just guessing.

1 Like

I don’t want to become an apologist for Bryan. I’d agree there’s a bit of a messianic tinge to some of his ideas, which I find a turn off.
I signed up for the blueprint protocol and was accepted, so I’ve been getting regular emails. I’m still not sure if I’m going to do it. Bryan’s team are trying to build some datasets from Blueprint. They’re tracking blood and body comp and sleep data. To my knowledge nobody has done this yet, and if there’s going to be any movement towards preventative interventions this type of thing has to start somewhere. If they can build a dataset of 2500 people and show that their protocol works great. The idea of collecting data on this site has been muted several times and it’s incredibly challenging. We don’t have to agree with Bryan to see the value in the exercise. One of the things I like about this forum, is there are a lot of people who don’t really follow the herd. Let’s face it, most people aren’t taking experimental drugs in the hope that it may extend their lifespan. The majority of people most likely never even think about it.
What I see here is a genuine attempt to quantify health span and try to build a framework, albeit a really basic one, that gives people a direction to take control of their health. One hundred percent agree that Bryan’s N of 1 is specifically tailored to Bryan, but there’s still value in an attempt.

8 Likes

I am only halfway through this video and I find Bryan one of the smartest people I have ever seen on YouTube. I believe in ~90% of his philosophy on religion and his worldview.
Basically, as a technologist (electronic design engineer) I agree that the technology of life extension is on a trajectory we don’t even comprehend. Ai is probably (I hope) going to be able to help us extend lifespan beyond what we presently believe.

5 Likes

Yes, I agree with the majority of the things he has to say. I don’t have any kind of scientific or engineering background, but I read extensively and I’m cautiously optimistic that we’re at an inflection point in the evolution of not just humanity, but consciousness.

2 Likes

Yes, he’s encouraging ppl to test but will he adjust the ingredients according to each person’s biomarkers cocktail? Or will everybody be taking the same stuff? Doubt he will. It’ll be one size fits all. This is what I have difficult time accepting.

1 Like

You’re one hundred percent correct that this won’t be tailored specifically to individuals, but this is no different than any other drug trial. Drugs are approved on their median effect. It’s most likely impossible to control the parameters of a study like this, but I’m not sure they need to. They just need to see if things improve for the majority of the participants.
I doubt it would be possible to build that kind of precision into any trial unless, like Bryan that’s all you focus on or people live in a laboratory.
Imperfect data is better than none at all I suppose.

1 Like

The difference is that he’s selling not just one drug, but 100 supplements, food, drinks, etc. He wants his followers to eat 3 times a day only the food that he sends them. Isn’t it too much?

1 Like

Then ppl will get the wrong idea that if they eat and do what BJ tells them to, regardless of their own unique health situations, they will live forever.

But, that’s the blueprint protocol. He isn’t saying that there’s one pill. I believe they’re trying to pull as many interventions together in one place. Not disagreeing with you, it is a lot, but I’m not sure that means it should be disregarded. BTW, I don’t think blueprint is really going to move the needle. The fact that there’s more complexity to it is a strength though.

I don’t get the message from Bryan that blueprint is going to make you live forever. People are free to make up their own minds. If someone thinks that eating Lentils and broccoli every day if going to confer eternal life, good luck to them.
I’ve said before my concern is all of this will flame out when people realize that no amount of kale is going to deliver on longevity escape velocity. But after listening to Bryan, I’m not sure that’s the point here. I don’t think the point is about selling supplements, it’s about working towards a way of thinking that focuses people on taking care of their health.

4 Likes

Complexity could be a strength. Bj has his own personal doctor who works with his team only for him 24/7. Blue print was designed for BJ, tailored for him and his biomarkers. He’s 45 yo male. Blue Print took that into consideration too. It was not designed for all genders, ages, physical, emotional, mental deviations of the rest of humanity. It’s a great design FOR BJ! This is the point I want to make. But don’t get me wrong, I like BJ and his pioneering ideas.

2 Likes