Breakthroughs in Aging Research | Dr. Eric Verdin, 2024 Longevity Summit

Eric Verdin, MD, is the president and CEO of the Buck Institute for Research on Aging; a professor at the Leonard Davis School of Gerontology at the University of Southern California; and a professor at the University of California, San Francisco.

Dr. Verdin discusses several breakthroughs, including:

• How we can change our own personal rate of aging
  • Rapamycin as an example of a modulator of aging rate
  • Aging is the largest risk factor for non-communicable diseases
  • The need for healthcare to be reinvented as proactive care, not just sick care
  • The relative unimportance of our genetics to how well we age
8 Likes

I think Dr. Verdin is pointing the Buck Institute in the right direction, studying interventions that can be used soon or now to extend healthspan and lifespan. I don’t agree with all of this diet advice, but that’s par for the course. In general, he gives solid, mainstream advice while the Buck does more cutting edge research.

2 Likes

‘We know that only one in twenty people who are on a statin actually benefit from it.’ ‘https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwl-qSSNOyI&t=730s’

1 Like

I missed that the first time. Thanks. Is he referring to “number needed to treat”?

In my interview with Nathan Price (now of Thorne), he said variability in gut microbiome affected the effectiveness of statins. That said, don’t cardiologists look at apoB or LDL to see if the statin is working?

Does anyone know what study (“we know”) Verdin is referring to?

1 Like

The NNT does go down with continued treatment years in the studies though.

A very interesting YouTube video in case you missed it. This is the first time I have seen a company trying to commercialize an anti-aging strategy and provide it to everyone at the lowest possible cost. Their product is in phase 1&2 trials. Their main theory if I got it right is modulation of the immune system is the key to longevity. I hope their trial succeeds and they get their product to market as soon as possible at an affordable price.

In the meantime, we have rapamycin as an immune system modulator.

The Company Website:

5 Likes

NNT can be very misleading. Not helpful in isolation.

2 Likes

Thanks for finding this. This is great. Interesting that Peter Diamandis is connected to the company. Sounds like a really interesting product. Agreed, I hope the trial succeeds and they can get it to the masses quickly.

2 Likes