BPH Prostate improvement?

new to site but I didn’t come across any posts so far on improved prostate health (BPH). Any input/comments?

thx

1 Like

I tried everything for years and years, herbal, supplemental and pharmacologic, all to no lasting avail. Saw no improvement from rapamycin. Finally got a TURP 4 months ago, and the positive change to my quality of life has been so dramatic I wish I’d done it 10 years ago!

2 Likes

Hey Sudiki…

I use daily finasteride and tadalafil per my urologist for urinary health…with weekly rapamycin.

He says my prostrate size is the same as a 20 year old… been on finasteride for 30 plus years… I have no issues… and the tadalafil for 2.5 years. All healthy down there!

4 Likes

Very ouch my man. I’m glad it worked.

1 Like

The prostate injects large amounts of citrate into seminal fluid and the level in the fluid is a marker of cancer (lower makes it more likely). I think exogenous citrate would possibly help but my PSA is so low now (0.7 mcg/l) that i have no evidence for this. I dont have a baseline, but if anyone wished to try this with their own medical advice and at their own risk i would be interested in the outcome.

We have a search feature in the upper right corner of the home page. Here is the search for “BHP”, and perhaps some of the past threads may be of interest: Search results for 'BPH' - Rapamycin Longevity News

4 Likes

they have a relatively new procedure the UroLift I"m interested in. the TURP scares me from the potential impotence aspect of it. My urologist has done quite a few UroLifts and he says he hasn’t had any issues. (so far…) with it.

1 Like

my protate is slightly enlarged but my PSA usuually is like yoiurs. 0.6-0.9 or so although 3 yrs ago it spiked to 9.7 !! and the right side of it was enlarged so I had a biopsy—negative on cancer (such that they can tell) and then my PSA went back to .7

1 Like

Very minimal risk of impotence from TURP. Radical prostatectomy (where they remove the outer portion of the prostate where most cancers originate but also contains sensitive nerve bundles and blood vessels) is where there is more significant risk for problems. I didn’t realize the difference between the two, otherwise I would have done TURP a long time ago.

BTW, before TURP I had a HORRIBLE experience with the steam injection treatment (called Rezum). Four months of pain (whereas before I had no pain, just obstruction), even worse urinary symptoms, and finally back to baseline with zero improvement.

2 Likes