Blood Biomarkers for Healthy Aging

Measuring the abundance of biological molecules and their chemical modifications in blood and tissues has been the cornerstone of research and medical diagnoses for decades. Although the number and variety of molecules that can be measured have expanded exponentially, the blood biomarkers routinely assessed in medical practice remain limited to a few dozen, which have not substantially changed over the last 30-40 years. The discovery of novel biomarkers would allow, for example, risk stratification or monitoring of disease progression or the effectiveness of treatments and interventions, improving clinical practice in myriad ways. In this review, we combine the biomarker discovery concept with geroscience. Geroscience bridges aging research and translation to clinical applications by combining the framework of medical gerontology with high-technology medical research. With the development of geroscience and the rise of blood biomarkers, there has been a paradigm shift from disease prevention and cure to promoting health and healthy aging. New -omic technologies have played a role in the development of blood biomarkers, including epigenetic, proteomic, metabolomic, and lipidomic markers, which have emerged as correlates or predictors of health status, from disease and exceptional health.

paywalled

2 Likes

Donā€™t you think that was thinking behind the Levine and other age tests, that they were choosing the bio-markers they thought were most important in monitoring aging?

2 Likes

Sort ofā€¦ the current bioclocks are mostly looking at some sort of overall median biological age using traditional blood measures / metrics or epigenetic markers. I think this paper sounds like its focused more at individual organs, and with a much more comprehensive array of markers; proteomics, etc. which should give a more accurate and helpful measure.

Of course - the paper is paywalled, so hard to know for sure.

1 Like

I was trying to access it through my institution, but I get an error. If anyone getā€™s hold of this paper I would be interested in reading it.

1 Like

Interesting article on recent research on biomarkers of aging.

1 Like

A link to full text https://karger.com/ger/article-pdf/doi/10.1159/000530795/3914502/000530795.pdf May not stay available so download quickly

2 Likes