Black Friday for Longevity & Health - what deals are people seeing?

@desertshores Awesome. Someday I’ll take you up on that beer.

2 Likes

@Neo, @Joseph Received my Pulsetto today, read the booklet and found mentioning of a “cap” on page 14, section Cleaning, #2. It reads “Put the cap back on the device”. What cap are they talking about? My device came without any caps. Did you have “caps” in the box?

Another observation that unpleasantly surprised me was a pretty strong fragrance smell from the back part covered by black fabric. Wondering if your unit also had a cologne smell coming from black fabric? It’s pretty unusual that a relaxation device would have a strong smell imo. Have a suspicion that somebody used it before it was shipped to me.

1 Like

Mine has not yet arrived. I’ll report back soon I hope.

I thought about getting pulsetto to help with sleep but my resting heart rate is 41-45 (no medications). This sounds like a device that decreases your heart rate. I don’t think my heart rate should be any lower. Am I misunderstanding this device? Would it still improve my sleep with already low heart rate?

It’s a good question. I have the same low resting heart rate, but don’t get enough deep stage sleep. I already received my device but did not use it yet. Not sure if it’s a good choice for me either.

Haven’t actually received mine either yet - so can’t say yet.

And @LaraPo

Do you know your HRV? Think one of the key things is that it can help improve HRV (it is to run an experiment for that and quality and quantify of sleep that I got it).

FWIW, here’s my plan. As you know, HRV is a marker of autonomic nervous system balance. It can be affected by many things so it’s hard to use HRV to assess any one factor but it is great at marking status. I am hoping to use it for biofeedback as well.

For me, my goal is to train my brain to relax on command. I am already good at, from many years of life and work, engaging my brain to become and stay focused. What I cannot do well is turn it off when I want.

Wind-down routine, circadian rhythm matching, meditation, deep and slow breathing exercises, and now Pulsetto. This is a part of my effort to learn to sleep without chemical aids.

1 Like

My heart rate during sleep is 40-45. My average HRV is 30.

1 Like

Just finished the first session with Pulsetto. I chose anxiety mode, 6 min to try (without having anxiety). The App allows to change the intensity of pulses. The recommended intensity level was 5. I felt slight tingling on my neck, then some needles on my left shoulder blade and on my left hand. Reduced the intensity to level 3, then 2, and finally 1. The sensation of tingling did not diminish and it felt exactly as level 5 (not sure if the App controls the intensity level well). After 6 minutes of the session, I felt a very slight headache that lasted 2 min the most. My resting heart rate fell to 49 (from 53). My HRV jumped to 93 after the session.

4 Likes

Does the device measure HRV? If not, what device are you using to measure?

It doesn’t measure HRV. I used Apple app.

My average HRV is 80 (whoop). On a rare occasion I’ll go over 100. I think 103 is the highest I’ve seen. Here is a screenshot from yesterday.

3 Likes

HRV of 30 may be low, but I’m not sure of your age, etc

Michael Lustgarden has some good graphs where he discusses HR and HRV in videos and in context of what is good for longevity.

Up to 90 after is interesting, did you check it before the session? Question is probably more what the overall trend is over times.

2 Likes

I’m almost 69. 30 is usually the average per day for me. Before the session it was 42. For my age it’s normal (25-45 range for adults over 60).

2 Likes

Any top tips for improving HRV? I would LOVE a HRV of 80!!!

3 Likes

The most important measurement of HRV is during sleep so make sure the HRV readings you are using were during sleep. I use whoop. It’s probably the most accurate consumer level device for measuring HRV. When I wake up in the morning and open the app it prompts me to fill out a journal. The journal asks many questions. Some of them very personal. You don’t have to answer any questions you are uncomfortable with answering. Based on the journal and my sleep scores, I get weekly and monthly reports that reveal any correlation between my daytime lifestyle and my sleep quality. Lot’s of great data.

I don’t drink a lot but I tend to have a few drinks on the weekends. It only takes 1 or 2 drinks late in the evening to tank my HRV and sleep scores. That has been the biggest factor I have found on HRV. Other than being sick. I had my lowest score when I think I had food poisoning. I was also having poor HRV and sleep scores when I was taking TMG 1gm at bedtime. I quit taking it and my sleep score and HRV went back up. I’m considering taking TMG 500mg in the morning instead. I’ve been taking either Natrol or Pure Encapsulations melatonin 3mg extended release for years. In addition to the extended-release melatonin, I added (about 3 weeks ago) pure encapsulations melatonin 20mg, renue by science liposomal apigenin 75mg and taurine 3gm. My whoop numbers seem to have improved even more. I had another HRV of 103 last night. Coincidence? Maybe. We’ll see…

6 Likes

Thank you, I need all the help I can get. Doing a ten week coherent HRV training program (5 in, 5 out for twenty minutes twice a day). Hoping that will work. Also looking into biofeedback devices for HRV breathing. Going to also get the Parasym for vegas nerve stimulation. Already take melatonin, but the other supplements you referenced will be tried. I’ve made increasing my HRV my mission! :blush:

2 Likes

Can you provide more color on what this is?

1 Like

Do you have any sense on the difference between when you do this and when you don’t?