Biomarkers of aging remain elusive as researchers try to slow the biological clock

Billions of dollars are pouring into longevity biotechs, but measuring success is challenging, given how little is known about the biology of aging.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02560-9

I can’t open it. Any good!

Try copy and paste.

Link should work.

Its paywalled. Can you read the entire article? Please post if you can.

1 Like

Biomarkers of aging remain elusive as researchers try to slow the biological clock.pdf (1.4 MB)

6 Likes

Thank you for posting!

From the article…

“You can eliminate wrinkles but doing so merely decouples skin appearance as a biomarker for aging, and the causal structure of aging isn’t affected.” As he adds: “Looking better doesn’t make you physiologically younger.” The same could be true of many molecular biomarkers and the interventions that modify them. Such interventions might act downstream of the causal process — the one that could really impact aging.

This is worth thinking about. How to know if changing blood markers or functional markers of age is changing true biological age? If I take a pain killer, and can move better as a result, am I young again? No. If I take niacin to boost my HDL, do I get an improved ASCVD outcome? No.

Thoughts?