Biomarker Optimization - Crowdsourcing Biomarker Knowledge by Michael Lustgarten and Sergey Vlasov

This is a really interesting effort by Michael Lustgarten (@ConquerAging ) and Sergey Vlasov (@SergeyVlasov ). Not sure why we haven’t talked about it here more. Seems like a very good idea… Sergey - are you guys still supporting this (it may be an old effort and not something you’re currently working on - please update us!

https://biomarkeroptimizers.com

Biomarker Optimizers is a community of health enthusiasts striving to live long and well. We consider periodic biomarker assessments the foundation for a truly scientific approach to health.

On this site, you will find which biomarkers are most important for longevity, what are optimal biomarker values, and how to optimize them using lifestyle, diet, exercise, fasting, sleep, supplements, and other interventions.

You can freely join the community and encouraged to start measuring and tracking your biomarkers. Sharing your results with the community (using your real name or anonymously) will increase your accountability, enable you to receive advice from other members, and help others learn from your experience.

The table below lists community members and their standardized biomarker results. Clicking on a member’s name will open his profile with additional information.

3 Likes

@Joseph_Lavelle is in there too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I like it. I’ve used the Test Results Analyzer for things like ApoB, Cystatin C, HbA1c, Homocysteine and Testosterone that aren’t on the Levine’s Phenotypic Age. I joined the Reddit group. Thinking about creating a profile. What do people here think of the AnthropoAge measure?

1 Like

Ah - so its working for most people and most browsers, it seems.

I use the Apple Safari browser and I was always getting this error message, so I thought the site wasn’t working, but it appears to be working fine with other browsers…

1 Like

Is this the Reddit group you are talking about? https://www.reddit.com/r/Blood_Testing_Aging/

1 Like

Yes, I’ve only done a quick scan but it looks good. Any extra info on Biomarkers and how to measure for results is super helpful. Too bad the commercially available epigenetic clock tests aren’t more useful (and cheaper) yet.

2 Likes

Interesting that they also have Taurine in there. Has anyone tested that / where do you get that test from?

I take taurine but I’ve never tested for it. Life Extension has it on their Amino Acid Profile blood test.

https://www.lifeextension.com/lab-testing/itemlc700068/amino-acid-profile-blood-test

And here’s some good basic info:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abn9257

And this says that you should have your pet tested, too:
https://www.naturespreservepetcare.com/services/blog/taurine-test-results-are-and-its-frightful

Thanks @ng0rge - this is helpful

Here’s something I just picked up from the Reddit group that says that it improves on the Levine PhenoAge model by increasing the blood test inputs to 25 (including Cystatin C) for Biological age estimation.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I’m not following the above

I think he’s talking about the “25 selected biomarkers” mentioned in this paper:

Biological age captures physiological deterioration better than chronological age and is amenable to interventions. Blood-based biomarkers have been identified as suitable candidates for biological age estimation. This study aims to improve biological age estimation using machine learning models and a feature-set of 60 circulating biomarkers available from the UK Biobank (n = 306,116). We implement an Elastic-Net derived Cox model with 25 selected biomarkers to predict mortality risk (C-Index = 0.778; 95% CI [0.767–0.788]), which outperforms the well-known blood-biomarker based PhenoAge model (C-Index = 0.750; 95% CI [0.739–0.761]), providing a C-Index lift of 0.028 representing an 11% relative increase in predictive value. Importantly, we then show that using common clinical assay panels, with few biomarkers, alongside imputation and the model derived on the full set of biomarkers, does not substantially degrade predictive accuracy from the theoretical maximum achievable for the available biomarkers. Biological age is estimated as the equivalent age within the same-sex population which corresponds to an individual’s mortality risk. Values ranged between 20-years younger and 20-years older than individuals’ chronological age, exposing the magnitude of ageing signals contained in blood markers. Thus, we demonstrate a practical and cost-efficient method of estimating an improved measure of Biological Age, available to the general population.

Full paper: Biological age estimation using circulating blood biomarkers - PMC

1 Like

It does look like Sergey may be working on an Excel calculator for BioAge based on the 25 blood biomarkers. Sergey’s comment on Reddit:

“They used 25 blood biomarkers instead of 9 in PhenoAge:
Apart from age and sex, cystatin C appears to have the strongest effect size.
The paper includes the full algorithm, it should be possible to create an Excel calculator similar to what we have for Levine’s Phenotypic Age.”

2 Likes

I do support the site. If anyone wants to post their data, just email me.

Never testes with Apple Safari browser, looks like it is not supported by the underlying engine used in Test Results Analyzer.

1 Like

I’m not currently working on an Excel calculator for BioAge based on the 25 blood biomarkers. But I keep it in mind.

1 Like

The paper said the code was available in GitHub.

1 Like

Hi Sergey, Hopefully we’ll get a chance to test out a calculator. What’s your opinion of improvements to the Levine BioAge calculator? Are the 25 inputs well chosen? Are there any others from blood tests that you would have added? And besides blood tests, what about blood pressure, resting heart rate, heart rate variation, functional tests, etc. that would give us a more complete picture of the effectiveness of interventions such as rapamycin? Wouldn’t adding things like ApoB, Cystatin C, A1c, testosterone, be an improvement? Can you tell us why you included AnthropoAge on the Biomarkers Optimizers site?

2 Likes

Adding cystatin c and removing WBC are definitely improvements from my perspective.

Including AnthropoAge was Michael’s idea.

More testing certainly helps at individual level. But to compare results with each other it is valuable to have standardized set of most important markers.

Daily HRV/RHR measurements are indispensable to ensure proper recovery from exercise.

1 Like

Interesting. For those who have seen:

2 Likes

AIUI the theory behind biomarker clocks is to link the data to known mortality figures. Hence the development of such a clock is a statistical process.

My personal view is that separate to the development of such clocks we should identify key biomarkers.

Cystatin-C for example is far better than Creatinine as it does not metabolise in the sample and is not as dependent on muscle mass and exercise. However, AIUI it still have some variability other than that linked to Kidney function.

I don’t know why WBC is in the Levine formula, but I would like to have a good reason to ignore it.

1 Like