Biocon Sirolimus / Rapamycin tablet coating

I appreciate this forum , in Canada so I have to use Indian product Biocon …I didn’t pay a lot of attention a few weeks ago when I started but after awhile I noticed that the taste of the coating on the tablets is just awful even for the few moments before it is washed down .
Being the only R I have used I don’t know what the other brands are like
wondering if others had thoughts on this ?
Larry

1 Like

That’s what I take and I never noticed. I did have my blood tested and it came back as expected.

1 Like

I’ve used both Biocon and Zydus sirolimus and to be honest have never noticed any difference in “taste”. I don’t taste anything with either vendor’s sirolimus. I put them in my mouth, then I swallow them relatively quickly, typically with sardines (so that might tell you a little about how sensitive I am to taste :wink: .

I wonder if you’re one of those people who is for some reason taste sensitive. A few (but very few) have reported some sort of metallic taste - but I think it has more to do with other factors (or combinations of factors - biological and chemical), and not the sirolimus tablets themselves: One Side Effect Not Many Talk About - Metallic Taste in Mouth

2 Likes

I took my weekly R today , did it quite quickly washing it down within a second or two , the bitter acrid taste was there but not as much as previously when I put the tabs on my tongue then found the water then swallowing . I personally am not complaining about " a bad taste" but more concerned that the coating is "safe "
I was quite recently reading a report about the so called forever chemicals PFAS that are looking like a serious health risk and are widely used across many industries and very difficult to get rid of …one of the uses was purported to be coating tablets .
Because I have to source from pharmacies in another …perhaps less regulated part of the world there is a question in my mind what are these little pills coated with ?
I’m not really paranoid…and as I have previously noted I feel some immediate benefits from the Rapacan I take , just that taste has me wondering ?
thanks for your replies !

1 Like

One community member had the Biocon and Zydus siriolimus lab tested and gave us the results - you can see them at the link below. Biocon seemed to have some possible issues that were not seen in Zydus , as you can see in the lab report (but generally they seemed good):

Full test report here:

3 Likes

thanks admin , you are probably using Zydus ?’

1 Like

Generally, yes I order Zydus. But I also order Biocon sometimes, and plan to try Everolimus in the future (not sure which vendor/generic manufacturer of everolimus).

2 Likes

Does Biocon normally use enteric rather than film coating? I got a film coating…

Google Photos
Google Photos

I thought they had to be enterically coated to work? I just got biocon from Shreeji_impex

1 Like

Identical to my packages. I was tested after using this product and tested completely normal. Going by memory (4mg+GFJ=29 at 2 hours, 2 after 12 days).

1 Like

All the generic manufacturers of sirolimus use some sort of film coating, and it seems to work fine. When I’ve crushed up tablets for making the rapamycin toothpaste or skin cream you see all sorts of flakes of film in the powder that you have to pick-out, or filter/strain out after you mix with transcutol, etc.

Film coating isn’t the same as enteric coating, the latter protects the rapamycin against gastric pH so it dissolves in the higher pH intestines, which should increase bioavailability.

Yes, I know enteric coating is different. But, whatever the film is that is being used in the generic sirolimus tablets from Biocon and Zydus is working well, from my experience and many others here.

So I really don’t care much about enteric coating.

2 Likes