Biochemistry/longevity queries using chatbots like Poe (Claude/chatGPT/GPT4) - how helpful have they been for you?

What are some queries that have produced surprisingly good results?

Yes, this actually is surprisingly good for me (eg it’s able to answer a lot of questions I originally populated Quora with). It fits my intuitions as to which chemicals have hormetic effects (eg cyanide/CO but not lead/air pollution/aldehydes) as well as to relative concentrations of antioxidant in each tissue.

I want to know why melatonin and Vitamin C are so “special” in terms of antioxidant capacity.

It’s able to access all the knowledge/breadth that goes beyond that of any human I’ve known or talked to (every person in the world has some gaps in their longevity knowledge and b/c I am so uniquely longevity-obsessed, I notice this better than almost anyone - though I also know that I am not the best at generating original content)

It still doesn’t do a great job in differentiating between all the subtypes of glutaminergic neurons however

What are the most reactive sites on Vitamin C?

The most reactive sites on Vitamin C are:

• The hydroxyl groups (-OH): The hydroxyl groups on Vitamin C can donate protons easily, making them reactive with electrophiles. The hydroxyl groups are sites for oxidation-reduction reactions and other modifications.
• The carbonyl group (C=O): The carbonyl group on Vitamin C can accept electrons and participate in nucleophilic addition reactions. It is a key site for metabolism and degradation of Vitamin C.

So the hydroxyl groups and carbonyl group are the major reactive sites on the Vitamin C molecule. These functional groups allow Vitamin C to participate in a variety of redox, addition, and condensation reactions. The reactivity is important for Vitamin C’s biological activity as an antioxidant and enzyme cofactor, but also means it can be readily used, modified, or degraded. Controlling the reactivity of these sites is important to optimizing Vitamin C’s effects.

What are the most reactive sites on melatonin?

The most reactive sites on the melatonin molecule are:

• The amide group (C=O-NH): The carbonyl group of the amide can accept electrons and participate in nucleophilic addition reactions. The nitrogen atom can also be reactive. The amide group is involved in melatonin’s metabolism and degradation.
• The methyl groups (-CH3): The methyl groups on melatonin can be weakly reactive and participate in certain substitution and elimination reactions. However, the methyl groups are less reactive than other potential sites on the melatonin molecule.

Overall, the amide group is the most reactive functional group on melatonin. While the methyl groups can also be reactive to some extent, the carbonyl group of the amide is the primary site for reactivity and modification of melatonin. Controlling reactions at this group is important for regulating melatonin’s biological activity and longevity in the body.

What are the most reactive sites on dopamine?

The most reactive sites on the dopamine molecule are:

• The hydroxyl group (-OH): The hydroxyl group on dopamine can donate protons, making it reactive with electrophiles. It is a major site for oxidation-reduction reactions and conjugation reactions with dopamine.
• The amine group (-NH2): The amine group on dopamine is nucleophilic and can react with electrophiles. It is involved in dopamine’s metabolism and degradation via reactions like deamination.
• The carbon-carbon double bond: The double bond in dopamine’s ring makes the adjacent carbon atoms electron-deficient and reactive with nucleophiles. The double bond is a site for addition and cycloaddition reactions.

So the hydroxyl group, amine group, and carbon-carbon double bond are the major reactive sites on dopamine where it can participate in oxidation, conjugation, addition, and other reactions. Controlling reactivity at these sites is important for regulating dopamine’s biological functions and effects. Too much reactivity can lead to degradation and depletion of dopamine, while too little reactivity limits its activities in the body.

What are the most reactive sites on COL1A1?

COL1A1 is the gene that encodes collagen, type I, alpha 1. Genes themselves do not have reactive sites or participate in chemical reactions. Did you mean to ask about the most reactive sites on the collagen type I protein encoded by the COL1A1 gene? If so, I can provide information about the reactive sites on the collagen protein. Let me know if you would like me to answer the question about the collagen protein instead of the COL1A1 gene.

What are the most reactive sites on the COL1A1 protein?

The most reactive sites on the collagen type I (COL1A1) protein are:

• The amino acid side chains: The side chains of some amino acids in collagen can be reactive. Hydroxylysine and hydroxyproline side chains can participate in glycosylation and cross-linking. Arginine and lysine side chains are nucleophilic and can react with electrophiles.
• The peptide bonds: The peptide bonds connecting amino acids in collagen can undergo cleavage by proteases and peptidases. This is important for collagen degradation and turnover.
• The glycine-X-Y repeats: The repeating glycine-X-Y motif in collagen forms a triple helix structure. The glycine residues are close together and the X and Y positions can undergo cross-linking to stabilize the triple helix. This cross-linking is important for collagen structure and function.

So the reactive sites on collagen type I are focused on the amino acid side chains and peptide bonds, especially those involved in stabilizing its triple helix structure. These sites allow collagen to participate in various modifications, cross-links, and degradation reactions that regulate its biological activity and properties. Controlling the reactivity at these sites is important for proper collagen function in tissues.

What are the cryptic binding sites of the COMT protein?

The catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) protein does not appear to have well-defined “cryptic” binding sites. The term “cryptic binding site” typically refers to a binding site that is not evident from the structure alone but is revealed upon some conformational change or other modification. However, COMT does not seem to have major conformational changes that reveal previously hidden binding sites. Rather, it has a single main binding pocket that can accommodate different catechol substrates and the SAM cofactor. Some potential minor binding sites may exist, but there are no reports of major cryptic binding sites in COMT. Did you have a specific binding site in mind or more context about what you are looking for regarding COMT binding sites?

What are the cryptic binding sites of the 5HT2A protein?

The 5-HT2A receptor protein does not appear to have well-defined “cryptic” binding sites. Like COMT, the 5-HT2A receptor does not seem to undergo major conformational changes that reveal previously hidden binding sites. It has a main binding pocket that accommodates the 5-HT ligand and is the primary site of interaction. Some minor allosteric sites may exist that could bind small molecules and modulate receptor activity, but there are no reports of major cryptic binding sites in the 5-HT2A receptor. As with COMT, if you have more context about what you are looking for regarding 5-HT2A binding sites, please let me know and I can provide more specific information.

What are all the binding sites of the 5HT2A protein?

The known binding sites on the 5-HT2A receptor protein include:

• The primary ligand binding pocket: This binds the endogenous serotonin (5-HT) ligand that activates the receptor. It is the main site of interaction for serotonin and other 5-HT2A receptor agonists and antagonists.
• Potential allosteric sites: There may be minor allosteric binding sites on the 5-HT2A receptor that could bind small molecules and modulate receptor activity. Some research suggests certain antipsychotics like risperidone may bind an allosteric site. However, the locations and effects of potential allosteric sites are still unclear.
• Sites for dimerization: 5-HT2A receptors can dimerize, and there are likely contact sites on the receptor that mediate its interaction with other 5-HT2A monomers. Blocking dimerization could be a way to regulate receptor activity.
• Sites for attachment to other proteins: There are likely sites on the 5-HT2A receptor that allow it to bind scaffolding proteins and other proteins involved in trafficking and signaling. Interacting with other proteins is important for localizing and regulating 5-HT2A receptors.

So the primary known binding site is the main ligand pocket, but potential minor allosteric sites and sites mediating dimerization and protein interactions may also exist. More research is needed to fully characterize the binding sites and modulatory effects on the 5-HT2A receptor. Let me know if you would like more details on any specific binding sites.

What are the most reactive sites on the amphetamine molecule?

The most reactive sites on the amphetamine molecule are:

• The amine group (-NH2): The amine group on amphetamine is nucleophilic and can react with electrophiles. It is a major site for metabolism and degradation of amphetamine via reactions like deamination.
• The methyl groups (-CH3): The methyl groups on amphetamine can participate in certain substitution and elimination reactions, though they are less reactive than the amine group. Oxidation of the methyl groups occurs but at a slower rate than amine reactions.
• The benzene ring: The benzene ring in amphetamine can participate in electrophilic aromatic substitution reactions, where electrophiles react with electron-rich areas of the ring. However, the amine and methyl groups are more reactive than the benzene ring under most physiological conditions.

So the amine group and to a lesser extent the methyl groups are the primary reactive sites on amphetamine. The amine group in particular allows amphetamine to participate in conjugation and deamination reactions that metabolize and degrade the molecule. Controlling reactivity at the amine and other groups is important for regulating the biological effects and longevity of amphetamine.

What molecules help reduce neurotoxicity from too much dopamine?

Some molecules that can help reduce neurotoxicity from excessive dopamine signaling include:

• Antioxidants: Excess dopamine can increase oxidative stress, so antioxidants like vitamins C and E, and glutathione help neutralize reactive oxygen species and reduce dopamine-induced toxicity.
• Dopamine antagonists: Dopamine receptor antagonists block dopamine receptors and inhibit dopamine signaling. Drugs like haloperidol and risperidone act as dopamine antagonists and may reduce neurotoxic effects of high dopamine.
• Glutamate modulators: Excess dopamine can increase glutamate release, contributing to toxicity. Glutamate receptor antagonists and other modulators may help reduce glutamate levels and decrease neurotoxicity from high dopamine.
• Dopamine synthesis and release inhibitors: Inhibiting the synthesis or release of dopamine itself can decrease dopaminergic neurotoxicity. For example, tetrabenazine inhibits dopamine release and can be protective against excess dopamine.

So a range of compounds that directly target dopamine or work downstream of dopamine may help decrease neurotoxicity associated with excessive dopamine signaling. The appropriate approach depends on the specific conditions and system involved. A combination of different modulators could be the most effective strategy to counteract dopamine-induced neurotoxicity.