Beta Blockers for Anxiety (NYT)

I had never heard of this, interesting…

Anxious ahead of a big job interview? Worried about giving a speech? First date nerves?

The solution, some digital start-ups suggest, is a beta blocker, a type of medication that can slow heart rate and lower blood pressure — masking some of the physical symptoms of anxiety.

Typically a trip to the doctor’s office would be necessary to get a prescription, but a number of companies are now connecting patients with doctors for quick virtual visits and shipping the medication to people’s homes.

“No more ‘Shaky and Sweaty,’” one online ad promised. “Easy fast 15 minute intake.”

That worries Dr. Yvette I. Sheline, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine.

although beta blockers are generally considered safe, experts say they can carry unpleasant side effects and should be used with caution.

Non-paywalled version: What Doctors Want You to Know About Beta Blockers for Anxiety

4 Likes

In my early years as a physician, some 30 years ago, I knew surgeons that would take a beta blocker before surgery to keep steady.

4 Likes

I’ve used Kava for this purpose. Works amazingly well.

Yes beta blockers (especially propranolol) are frequently prescribed for anxiety-related tremors. And then 10 years later use of beta blockers is linked with 2x more Parkinson’s disease. Might be a reverse causality though (as some of these tremors might be unrelated to anxiety but the first early signs of PD).

3 Likes

I’ve used propranolol for shakes. Works well for me. I have a familial tremor and the slightest bit of adrenaline makes me vibrate. Not a very good thing for an actor.

I’ve known people using a beta blocker before a speech/lecture.

I’ve been using propranolol before public speaking at work for about 15 years. It’s a lifesaver and career saver. Have terrible public speaking anxiety.

3 Likes