Best way to mine 23&me raw data?

Hivemind, I want to ask your advice on the best way to use 23&me raw data to learn about genetic particulars that could affect our regime or supplement decisions.

What 23&me gives us in terms of reports is pretty scant. I know there are services out there, mostly paid, that take your raw output and give you a more granular view. For example, certain alleles make one a poor absorber of Vit D but there’s dozens of nuggets like this.

What have you used in the past, what have you got out of it in terms of data, what was the cost and were you satisfied? What did you learn about your specific genetic makeup?

5 Likes

promethease and there is another one I forgot

edit: rememered
https://genvue.geneticgenie.org

1 Like

It is not good, just a lot of noise. Uploading to nebula genomics is much better.

promethease is good, it used to be better before the fda ordered them to not show a lot of data but others have the same problem.

1 Like

Make sure the genes you select are found with GWAS at least… Last time there was no actionable advice, like showing how you compare with other people and genetic risk scores.

You can sort by magnitude and yeah you can probably ignore most stuff with a magnitude of less than 2

Nah, it’s probably all noise. Based on calculation between 2013 and 2017 studies it says. Genetics have advanced in an exponential fashion with cheaper sequencing and better methodology.

You want
(1) SNP’s based on GWAS studies, these look at the entire genomes of people and find genetic associations without any apriori assumption.
(2) PGS, polygenic risk scores, since most traits are polygenic, meaning many genes affect them, you want to sum up all genes found in GWAS for example for thrombosis. If you summate them you will get a more accurate picture. For example, if you are top 10% of PGS for thrombosis, you might have 10 x higher risk. Nebula does this for every trait and cites the studies for the calculations.

I didn’t know the CDC and US GOV was so interested in this.

1 Like

Sure, but it is not as informative as summating all the SNP’s into a polygenic risk score. I don’t know what that gene will do, add 1 mm to height. It’s just a bad user interface.

See this blog for an example at Nebula for epilepsy:

Really, promethease will show you the big stuff but there is little point worrying about your genes, you cannot change them (and hopefully we will never be allowed to). Also your genes are not destiny

My genes say this

But this is me…

Which might be because they didn’t summate all the SNP’s into a total risk score. Even though some SNP’s can increase risk, there are lots that can decrease risk and mitigate it.

@Vulcan didn’t you mention a source or am I dreaming?