Berberine, Metformin & Rapamycin

I have been taking Berberine and Metformin for about 5 months. 500mg each spaced 2 hours apart. I have noticed my LDL has improved and Triglycerides have always been low. I started Rapamycin about 5 weeks ago and am up to 6mg once a week. I still continue the Berberine and Metformin. I take an additional 500 mg of metformin at bedtime on the day I take the Rapamycin because if I don’t I have a headache and am very shaky the following morning.
I am worried that Rapamycin will eliminate all the gains I have made in my cholesterol numbers which is why I continue while on Rapamycin.
I want to take a short break from the Berberine but don’t know the best protocol to follow.

Keep taking Berberine with Rapamycin and take a break when I take the Rapamycin?
Take a Berberine break while I am on Rapamycin then resume when I am om my Rapamycin break?

Welcome to the Forum.

Berberine and Metformin have substantial overlapping affects.

Both will lower LDL, but their main affect mediates insulin, which can indirectly reduce inflammation, reduce weight, improve body composition and thereby lower LDL.

I’ve often “stacked” things that work by different mechanisms, it just seems that stacking Berberine and Metformin, mostly just doubles the affect.

Stacking either Berberine or Metformin with Rapamycin would seem to make more sense.

Also, where Rapamycin can in the short to intermediate term raise LDL and even blood sugar, it seems to level them out and even reduce them long term.

Why not address LDL directly with something like Crestor?

2 Likes

My numbers are not bad but i like to keep them in check as I age. I am 66 now.

I take all 3. I only take metformin during the 4-5 days around my rapa dose. I take berberine everyday (with brkfst and dinner) but not with dinner when I take metformin (500mg). If my blood sugar feels low (tired) I’ll skip the berberine. I use metformin for longevity, berberine for blood sugar, and a statin for Cholesterol. There are many overlapping impacts so it’s art not engineering.

4 Likes

@Diana_Boos
Why are you taking Metformin?
Why are you taking Berberine?
Why are you taking both?

2 Likes

Is extended-release Metformin better?

3 Likes

Started Metformin for longevity about 6 months before Rapa. Low does 500 mg
Berberine before that for blood sugar and triglycerides. ( preventative) low dose 500 mg
Read that both work in conjunction so I kept both

1 Like

That is what I was going to do. Just trying to work out a good schedule.

1 Like

I would not take both as I don’t see an additive benefit. Could be possible downside of hypoglycemia?
No proven life extension benefits to Metformin pending TAME trial.
Berberine may be helpful but needs more human data.

I realize others here disagree with my opinion on Metformin, but I just can’t see taking a mitochondrial poison unless the TAME trial shows great results.

2 Likes