Astaxanthin: A Potential Treatment in Disease and Aging, Lifespan Increase

I was referring to antioxidants in general, not specifically Astaxanthin. I’ve read and seen multiple sources discussing this. Here are some links, but just from quick google search.

3 Likes

Good links. Interesting to see Vitamin C isn’t so bad after all for exercise performance. I think it’s the high doses of certain antioxidants that are bad. Low doses are probably fine.

Excess vitamin C is peed out for the most part.

Astaxanthin for Skin Aging. Does it work?

Summary at 29:50

3 Likes

Generally it feels like you are a steward and “dean” here on the forum @DeStrider

Can you use that leading by example approach also when you post videos and just have single a one sentence bullet point on what is interesting, relevant, take away and/or covered in the video (or if there is a specific time stamp that is interesting)

1 Like

Every video has a title across the top of it. Or at least it does on my phone. Can you see it at the top of the video?

Yes I just see that it will cover “Does it work”

But have no idea why a trusted member thought it relevant:

• because it does work?
  • because it does not?
  • because it is a good summary of pros and cons?
  • because it covered important side effects to consider
  • because it covers new data not discussed on the thread before

I don’t even know if it is a short video or long - and if long you recommend the whole thing or just a 30 sec time stamp

The problem with videos vs papers or blogs is that the thousands of people who may see your post are not able to “skim” videos

The request would literally take the poster of an video an extra 10-15 seconds and that one bullet point can provide value and guidance to hundreds or thousands of forum visitors

That bullet also means that your post can be found via the search function on the forum which just a video link won’t

4 Likes

That we have good evidence for… so far.

2 Likes

Wasn’t beta carotene also identified as an issue?

We conducted literature searches across eight databases and screened the publications from January 1900 to March 2022 on the topic of β-carotene treatments and cardiovascular outcomes. There were 10 trials and 16 reports included in the meta-analysis with a total of 182,788 individuals enrolled in the study. Results from the random-effects models indicated that β-carotene supplementation slightly increased overall cardiovascular incidence (RR: 1.04; 95% CI: 1.00, 1.08) and was constantly associated with increased cardiovascular mortality (RR: 1.12; 95% CI: 1.04, 1.19). Subgroup analyses suggested that, when β-carotene treatments were given singly, a higher risk of cardiovascular outcomes was observed (RR: 1.06; 95% CI: 1.01, 1.12). In addition, cigarettes smoking was shown to be a risk behavior associated with increased cardiovascular incidence and mortality in the β-carotene intervention group. In sum, the evidence of this study demonstrated that β-carotene supplementation had no beneficial effects on CVD incidence and potential harmful effects on CVD mortality. Further studies on understanding the efficacy of multivitamin supplementation in nutrient-deficient or sub-optimal populations are important for developing the tolerable upper intake level for β-carotene of different age and sex groups.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8950884/

3 Likes