Are sunflower seeds/pine nuts/pumpkin seeds pro-inflammatory or anti-inflammatory?

They have a lot of omega-6, but also a lot of anti-inflammatory nutrients…

But linoleic acid makes its way into human tissue

2 Likes

studied the fatty acid compositions of the almond oil and found palmitic (0.39%), palmitoleic (0.56%), stearic (1.20%), oleic (71.98%), linoleic (20.37%) acids as the main fatty acids in almond oil.

All I know is that my CRP was 0.03 a day after I ate 2500 calories of almonds last year…

2 Likes

I guess judging by the above study that your genes and almonds are a good marriage.

Most all of the literature I’ve read, is you want to keep your OMEGA 6:3 ratio less than 4:1.

Look at peanuts, America’s favourite nut…pretty much 100% omega-6.

I avoid all seed oils, and only consume EVOO (although it has omega-6). I try to get my omega-3 from whole foods, and select nuts (no peanuts, little almonds, mainly walnuts, macadamia, pecans, pistacchio). I do take 3 g/day DHA/EPA fish oil. After 6 yrs on this diet, my hsCRP is near zero, and my last OMEGA3 index was almost 12%. Omega 6:3, 3.98.

From the Harvard Health link you provided:

“The latest nutrition guidelines call for consuming unsaturated fats like omega-6 fats in place of saturated fat (hmmm…need to fact check this). The AHA, along with the Institute of Medicine, recommends getting 5% to 10% of your daily calories from omega-6 fats. For someone who usually takes in 2,000 calories a day, that translates into 11 to 22 grams. A salad dressing made with one tablespoon of safflower oil gives you 9 grams of omega-6 fats; one ounce of sunflower seeds, 9 grams; one ounce of walnuts, 11 grams. Most Americans eat more omega-6 fats than omega-3 fats, on average about 10 times more. A low intake of omega-3 fats is not good for cardiovascular health, so bringing the two into better balance is a good idea. But don’t do this by cutting back on healthy omega-6 fats. Instead, add some extra omega-3s” More hmmm…

3 Likes

I’ve heard pumpkin seed oil is healthy. Does anyone know anything about that or black seed oil (cumin)?

Why the Omega-3/Omega-6 Ratio May Not Matter After All | Mark's Daily Apple I was under the impression that the ratio of omega 6 & 3 not important anymore.