Are sunflower seeds/pine nuts/pumpkin seeds/ Omega 6 PUFAs pro-inflammatory or anti-inflammatory?

They have a lot of omega-6, but also a lot of anti-inflammatory nutrients…

But linoleic acid makes its way into human tissue

2 Likes

studied the fatty acid compositions of the almond oil and found palmitic (0.39%), palmitoleic (0.56%), stearic (1.20%), oleic (71.98%), linoleic (20.37%) acids as the main fatty acids in almond oil.

All I know is that my CRP was 0.03 a day after I ate 2500 calories of almonds last year…

2 Likes

I guess judging by the above study that your genes and almonds are a good marriage.

Most all of the literature I’ve read, is you want to keep your OMEGA 6:3 ratio less than 4:1.

Look at peanuts, America’s favourite nut…pretty much 100% omega-6.

I avoid all seed oils, and only consume EVOO (although it has omega-6). I try to get my omega-3 from whole foods, and select nuts (no peanuts, little almonds, mainly walnuts, macadamia, pecans, pistacchio). I do take 3 g/day DHA/EPA fish oil. After 6 yrs on this diet, my hsCRP is near zero, and my last OMEGA3 index was almost 12%. Omega 6:3, 3.98.

From the Harvard Health link you provided:

“The latest nutrition guidelines call for consuming unsaturated fats like omega-6 fats in place of saturated fat (hmmm…need to fact check this). The AHA, along with the Institute of Medicine, recommends getting 5% to 10% of your daily calories from omega-6 fats. For someone who usually takes in 2,000 calories a day, that translates into 11 to 22 grams. A salad dressing made with one tablespoon of safflower oil gives you 9 grams of omega-6 fats; one ounce of sunflower seeds, 9 grams; one ounce of walnuts, 11 grams. Most Americans eat more omega-6 fats than omega-3 fats, on average about 10 times more. A low intake of omega-3 fats is not good for cardiovascular health, so bringing the two into better balance is a good idea. But don’t do this by cutting back on healthy omega-6 fats. Instead, add some extra omega-3s” More hmmm…

3 Likes

I’ve heard pumpkin seed oil is healthy. Does anyone know anything about that or black seed oil (cumin)?

Why the Omega-3/Omega-6 Ratio May Not Matter After All | Mark's Daily Apple I was under the impression that the ratio of omega 6 & 3 not important anymore.

Lipofuscin levels are also affected by pro-oxidants and antioxidants in the diet (Katz et al., 1978). These authors have shown, using the retinal pigment epithelium of rats, that high levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids and/or low levels of antioxidants produced higher levels of lipofuscin. The accumulation was small in animals fed with a normal balanced laboratory diet. Katz et al. (1984) has also shown that the increase in lipofuscin due to antioxidant deficiency, vitamin E in this case, was not the same in all tissues. Using mice, these authors verified that increased accumulations could be observed in the retinal pigment epithelium, uterus and duodenum, but not in the spinal cord and some brain areas, while older animals fed a normal diet showed lipofuscin accumulation

https://twitter.com/fire_bottle/status/1704271303950164397