ApoB and cancer

Is it something new we should take a look or am I late?

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-023-03281-y

This study suggested a causal association between genetically increased apolipoprotein B levels and higher risk of colorectal cancer. No causal relationship was observed between coffee intake and gastric, colorectal, or esophageal cancers.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing.
Since high apoB massively decreases lifespan in genetic studies it isn’t surprising it has pleiotropic negative effects outside heart disease, but I didn’t know about this.

It is obviously the most important target for life- and healthspan increase, as its proven, more so than mTOR. I feel sorry for those with elevated or normal but not healthy apoB who is using a drug proven in mice only to improve lifespan. While apoB has both clinical trials and human genetic data to prove an effect.

Target mTOR, target apoB, probably target IGF-1.

2 Likes

First thing to note here is that this is only an associative study, so no causation implied. Secondly there are mechanistic studies showing that cancer has requires lots of LDL-C for growth, which means high apoB may play a role in accelerated cancer growth.

Cancer cells require cholesterol for rapid proliferation and tend to accumulate a high amount of cholesterol for which they either rely on up-regulated cholesterol biosynthesis or by enhancing uptake of cholesterol. Many of the cancer cells lack a feedback mechanism for controlling cholesterol uptake through LDLR expression as compared to normal cells/ tissue (Fig. 4) [26]. Majorities of tumor tissues exhibit a higher expression of LDLR for rapid uptake of cholesterol which is believed to be a more energy-saving process as compared to cholesterol biosynthesis. Overexpression of LDLR facilitates rapid uptake of LDL cholesterol (LDLc) and thus contributes to the accumulation of lipid components including cholesterol, free fatty acids, and triglycerides [26], [27], [28], [29].

Influence of cholesterol on cancer progression and therapy - PMC (nih.gov)

2 Likes

It is a Mendelian randomization study, so they do imply causation.

2 Likes