Anyone familiar with a drug called Harmine and its promise for re-growing pancreatic beta cells?

I was reading up on this drug called Harmine which is showing promise for enabling beta cells to regrow themselves. Harmine is part of a psychedelic potion used in Ayahuasca ceremonies, which are a centuries’ old ritual of people in the Amazon (the rain forest, not the online retailer).

Beta cells generally don’t proliferate on their own, but Harmine blocks the mechanism that blocks cellular division. Researchers at Mt Sinai School of Medicine are working on drug combos that involve GLP-1 agonists that amplify the effect of Harmine. This shows great promise for Type 2 Diabetes. They are also working on immune suppressors that would allow beta cells to proliferate in Type 1 Diabetes patients. In other words, this could turn out to be a cure for Type 1 Diabetes with a drug that is not under patent. Can you imagine?

If this works as advertised, it’s a Rapamycin-like story of a wonder drug that is under our noses and not patentable, so big pharma is only really interested if they can make a patentable version. The good news here is the Mt Sinai group got an NIH grant to study dosage safety. Hopefully more public money goes into this before Big Pharma figures out how to make the blockbuster drug that cures Type 1 Diabetes and ameliorates advanced Type 2.

Here’s a short write up: Beta Cell Proliferation Research to Investigate Harmine in Phase 1 Trial

6 Likes

FWIW

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/harmine

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been using it for about 2 years to attempt to help type 1. Nothing definitive to report, but at least I’m still in an alleged “honeymoon” period after developing the disease 7.5 years ago at age 52. Usually, cases of late-developing type 1 get slowly worse within the first 5 years, so maybe it’s helped–it’s hard to get a reliable measurement of c-peptide or insulin production when it can vary so much by diet.

Anyway, my regimen with Harmine HCL or harmine freebase/sublingual has been 20-50 mg/day for 5 days, repeat every 2 weeks. I don’t feel a significant mental effect from it, as it is mainly used by others to lengthen highs, not give a high itself.

4 Likes

Thanks. A few quick questions:

1. Are you taking any kind of immune system modulator?
  2. Where do you get Harmine from?
  3. Is your diagnosis full type 1 or LADA? I’m not sure that there is really a difference. LADA seems to be a less aggressive attack on beta cells by the immune system.
  4. What led you to taking Harmine. Was it prescribed to you or are you biohacking?
1 Like
  1. rapamycin (different week than harmine, since I want growth with harmine), boswellia, GABA, taurine, scullcap
  2. Bounty Botanicals
  3. probably LADA
  4. I just surveyed the research and found it in the news. Biohacking
1 Like

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/377099602_The_N-Methyl-D-Aspartate_Receptor_Antagonist_Dextromethorphan_Improves_Glucose_Homeostasis_and_Preserves_Pancreatic_Islets_in_NOD_Mice

More specifically, we showed that DXM treatment led to fivefold higher numbers of pancreatic islets and more than twofold larger alpha- and beta-cell areas compared to untreated mice. Further, DXM treatment improved glucose homeostasis and reduced diabetes incidence by 50%. Our data highlight DXM as a novel candidate for adjunct treatment of preclinical or recent-onset type 1 diabetes.

Our vision is to enable a peripheral or even beta cell specific NMDA receptor blockade preventing the excitotoxic action of glutamate, thereby protecting beta cell functioning in people with (pre)diabetes.

https://dom-pubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/dom.12576

Effects of dextromethorphan as add-on to sitagliptin on blood glucose and serum insulin concentrations in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blinded, multiple crossover, single-dose clinical trial

Which product do you use, freebase or hydrochloride. How do you take it?

1 Like

This is really interesting. I will check it out. Fun fact, apparently DXM should not be taken within 14 days of an MAOI drug, and Harmine is an MAOI. So, if anyone reads this thread, don’t try mixing Harmin and dextromethorphan for an even better result.

3 Likes