Anti-Aging: Can We Be Forever Young? (SCIENCE VS)

In our discussions in this forum it seems clear that the evidence does not actually support Metformin.

I listened to this video today

And I think I have got a bit which argues that the experiments getting a lifespan enhancement from NAD boosting could not be replicated by these experimenters.

We have had recent reports that B3 boosting is not good for generic health.

Exercise is definitely good. Some fasting probably is as well. I am not myself a fan of the idea of blood transfusions, but it probably has some merit.

That part could be picked up by testing NAD+ levels before and then on a given supplement protocol.

What are your thoughts on 3HAA?

(Btw, I do wonder if metformin might still be good for someone who is on Rapa…)

1 Like

Damn it, you took the words out of my mouth. Well, I am glad I didn’t have to say it and trigger anyone today.

5 Likes

I would need to read up on published research before I could come to a conclusion on 3HAA. Obviously there is a video which talks about it and comes to contradictory conclusions to the conventional wisdom on NAD boosting.

To me that gives some questions to which we are not sure what the answers are.

I have my own mechanistic hypothesis about aging and a number of interventions which both deal with that in my view improve cellular function. It may be at a later stage that I would add 3HAA to that, but I have enough to get on with at the moment and have not put it on my list for detailed consideration and/or experimentation.

1 Like

I think Dr. David Brenner started with NR but it had so many years on the market
it wasn’t something he could patent. If Brenner had not started publicizing NMN I doubt anyone would have heard of it.

If you think you must increase your NAD levels with a supplement and bypass Dr. Brenner’s minions you can supplement with NMNH which is no cheaper than NMN and is available on Amazon.

“We show that NMNH increases NAD+ levels to a much higher extent and faster than NMN or NR and that it is metabolized through a different, NRK and NAMPT-independent, pathway”

According Dr. Stanfield, NMN, NR is converted to Niacin in the gut anyway. His take was just take Niacin. He recommends 50 mcg in his vitamins, I personally take a cheap Costco B-complex every other day mainly to lower my homocysteine, that has 25 mcg so 12.5 mcg per day. (I was doing that even before the studies concerning Niacin came out.) Rest is from the diet.

Here the study that Stanfield quoted…

But again, like @desertshores said, it really just boils down to make sure one partakes in the most powerful anti-aging drug in the world.

2 Likes

I took 4g (2g twice a day) of Niacin for about 20 years. It helped my LDL profile prior to pcsk9 inhibitors and on max rosuvastatin. Don’t anyone try to start with any more than 50 mg or you may wind up in the ER. Even 50 mg can be a tough first dose. I remember stopping when the HDL data came out and then deciding to restart to lower my LDL’s and thinking 500 mg would be no problem but it had me lying on the bathroom floor with my wife taking my blood pressure. I had to work up to the 2g dose but once there I had some mild flushing but it was quite tolerable.

Anyway, all this to say if you are a fan of Niacin and don’t want to increase your statin dose then it might be just the trick to get your ApoB to the sweet spot for you.

1 Like

May I ask the mix of B vitamins and the impact on your homocysteine (I’m trying to lower my homocysteine to via b vitamins).

Hello @59vw - not sure if you have seen this recent paper and thread

you might want to take a look: Niacin Revisited - Helpful or Harmful in Cardiac Health?

3 Likes

https://www.costco.com/nature-made-super-b-complex%2C-460-tablets.product.11661861.html

7.7 in 2023

I don’t have previous numbers, I started paying attention to it after Tommy Woods, PhD / Attia interview talking about cognitive decline. Dementia runs in my family unlike CAD, that’s my biggest fear. I will probably never fully retire because of that…

BTW, Attia took specfically just B6, B9 and B12, I don’t think he ever took Niacin… isn’t it INTERESTING ?

Thx @Dr.Bart

Yes, that input was helpful for me too, I changed my protocol to follow Dr Attia’s last fall. Including making sure I used methylated versions of the B12 and the Folate (I even got the same brands he uses (until I have more time to research it)).

My homocysteine is still in the 8-9 range (down from 13-14ish), so I think I still have to work on it a bit more.

Btw I don’t personally take Niacin, and I don’t think that it generally helps with homocysteine, does it?

(The only case I’d start taking niacin would be if I cannot figure out the wonkiness in my Lp(a) levels or if my NAD+ levels were to tank (they are ok as of now per measurement).

You might want to follow some of @adssx postings - he is putting a lot of energy in protocols to optimize brain healthy/longevity and against dementia (with a nod to PD, but much is more broadly than that).

On Dr Attia, he has a good older podcast now with Dr Isaacson and then there was a follow up and then another with one of his colleagues.

First one here

3 Likes

I don’t think so, I figured as long as I am under RDA, I am 99.999999% safe. I just thought it would be easier to one pill.

BTW, Tommy Woods also recommended Riboflavin for homocysteine on one of his podcasts: The Better Brain Fitness Podcast – The Brainjo Academy

You might want to follow some of @adssx postings - he is putting a lot of energy in protocols to optimize brain healthy/longevity and against dementia (with a nod to PD, but much is more broadly than that).
Good to know, thanks.

1 Like

Thanks.

Doing an experiment with more routinely adding creatine to my routine as that (especially in vegan leaning diets) can impact homocysteine. Might then look to evaluate riboflavin if still needed.

(Btw, thing you have issues with Blue Print, but BJs team have lowered his homocysteine to quite low, so might want to consider looking at that too).

1 Like

TMG supplementation works great when it comes to lowering homocysteine.

2 Likes

That’s right. I have Betaine, Taurine and others in my Transparent Labs caffeine-free pre-work out formula which I use 3-4 times a week. It seems to help me push through the weight sessions and cardio intervals… or maybe it’s just the Beta-Alanine itch induced placebo effect.

1 Like

adding @Vlasko @stealle and @Joseph_Lavelle what doses of TMG are/were you taking?

There were some discussion about impact on sleep, are you doing morning dosage / any impact on sleep when taking in the morning?

1 Like

1.8g TMG M,W, F only. I take in AM; no known impacts on sleep.

1 Like

Thank Joseph. What’s the rationale for the M, W, F only vs e.g. a lower dose each of the 6 days were you are supps?

1 Like

I took the recommended dose on the days I take it at all. But it sounded like a lot so I spread it out.

In general I am leaning toward not taking everything everyday. I look for my opportunities to shift in that direction.

1 Like