Anti-ageing effects of FDA-approved medicines: a focused review

Ageing is the process generated by senescent cells, free radicals, inflammation and other relevant factors. Ageing contributes to age-related diseases that affect the quality of life. People are interested in anti-ageing intervention and many scientists attempt to search for anti-ageing medicines. This review focused on describing in vivo anti-ageing activity of US-FDA-approved drugs and found that alogliptin, canagliflozin and metformin might produce anti-ageing activity via AMPK activation. Rapamycin and canagliflozin are capable to inhibit mTOR to promote lifespan. Atracurium, carnitine and statins act as DAF-16 activators, which potentially contribute to anti-ageing activity. Hydralazine, lisinopril, rosiglitazone and zidovudine may help stabilize genomic integrity to prolong life expectancy. Other indirect mechanisms, including insulin-lowering effect by acarbose and calcium channel blocking activity by verapamil may also promote longevity. Interestingly, some drugs (i.e., canagliflozin, metformin, rapamycin and acarbose) are likely to demonstrate a lifespan-promoting effect predominantly in male animals. These pre-clinical data might provide mechanistic and phenotypic perspectives to better understand the targets of anti-ageing interventions.

Sadly, the paper is paywalled:

5 Likes

Hosted by Nir Barzilai.

1 Like

@DeStrider Thanks for this. Damn. This is powerful information. I didn’t quit get the ranking math, and the outcome seems to serve Barzilai’s goals, so……(“scorekeeper always wins” eh?)

But still. He wouldn’t be able to outright lie so here’s his list (photo below) for all here to think about:

SLGT2– some of the data presented was for Farxiga which has not been popular among the longevity crowd. I’m already taking Farxiga.

Aspirin — maybe I won’t quit my baby aspirin

Metformin — #1 best intervention. I hate it but still take it around my rapa dose.

Rapamycin— very good of course

NAC — surprising. I take it infrequently. I need to think about this again.

Acarbose— of course. Mine is in the way.

Methylene Blue — this was a shock. MB gives me a clear head. I love the feeling I get.

ACEi — ACE inhibitors are a surprise. I need to investigate.

Dasatinib + quercetin — chemotherapy drug is scary but…

1 Like

Just remember that you don’t need to take all of them. There’s a lot of overlap there.

Rapamycin would be top as well except it is lacking some studies (not assessed)

I would say pick either Metformin or an SGLT2. Acarbose and Rapamycin are always good.

Dasatanib and Quercetin should be done intermittently every 6 months when you turn 60.

NAC (and Glycine) can and should be done daily after the age of 45.

Aspirin is great but can cause bleeding in elderly. Maybe take it between 45 and 60.

1 Like

@DeStrider Thanks. My main goal is lowering blood sugar (HbA1c). That is why I take:

Metformin— a low dose 2 days a week on avg
Berberine — daily when not taking metformin
SGLT2 (Farxiga)
Acarbose — on the way (I don’t expect much due to a lack of starch in diet).

Others — over lap with above?

Aspirin — blood thinner with mixed cancer protection results
NAC / Glycine - glutathione boost plus some methionine offset
Methylene Blue — overlaps with glutathione effects? But I definitely feel it so maybe I need extra help.

1 Like

I have never tried Methylene blue before, but if it works, why not?