Losartan - Another drug to counter the signs of aging?

Another drug to counter effect the signs of aging?

If you need to lower your blood pressure, perhaps this is a drug to consider.
It is well tolerated and has few side effects.

“which was shown in animal studies to reduce inflammation, enhance mitochondrial energetics, and improve muscle repair and physical performance”

“Participants in the losartan group had an estimated 89% lower odds of frailty (95% confidence interval”

“Our results indicated that administration of losartan not merely restored erectile function, but also significantly prevented corporal apoptosis and oxidative stress in AED by suppressing the Akt/Bad/Bax/caspase-3 and Nrf2/Keap-1 pathways.”

“Losartan might have therapeutic effects on not only hypertension but also prostatic hyperplasia in humans.”

“Beneficial effect of LOS on cognitive function in aged male Dahl-S rats was associated with the improvement of cardiovascular function and remodeling”

“The effects of losartan on senescent spontaneously hypertensive rats were due not only to its blood-pressure-lowering action but also to the blockade of specific mechanisms derived from angiotensin II type 1 receptor antagonism, which might involve an increase in availability of NO.”

“The results demonstrated that losartan improved learning and memory impairment, attenuated anxiety-like behaviors, modulated brain inflammation and oxidative stress, and decreased amyloid-β accumulation.”

“Owing to its exclusive action on uric acid
as compared with other ARBs, it can be the choice of
therapy in patients with high uric acid levels.”

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/andr.12757

Losartan: Benefits Beyond Hypertension

7 Likes

I take telmisartan. Here’s an article that describes it’s benefits. Since this was written in early 2015, the price is much lower than stated. I pay around $10 a month.

3 Likes

“In comparison with losartan, telmisartan provides superior control of BP and has no association with increased risk of adverse events.”

Very similar drugs.

Mikhail V. Blagosklonny mentioned these two drugs in his opinion article in 2014

“Angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARB) (Valsartan, Telmisartan, Losartan) as well as angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (Captopril, Lisinopril, Enalapril, Ramipril) are widely used as therapy for hypertension. Long-term angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition or ARB doubles life span of hypertensive rats.190, 191 In healthy (normal blood pressure) rats, long-term enalapril treatment decreases body weight gain and prolonged life span.192 Long-term use of ARBs is associated with a lower incidence of cancer occurrence, thereby suggesting that ARBs may prevent cancer development.193”

https://www.nature.com/articles/cddis2014520

6 Likes

In addition to this article, Bill Faloon talked about this a couple of times in his meetings at the Church of Perpetual Life. Bill said he used to take this drug too but after getting NAD infusions, his high BP went to normal.

1 Like

I’ve been self-prescribing losartan since 2017. I take it every 2nd day, and enalapril on the other days. I get them from Russia. My Russian doctor nearly had kittens when I told him.
I’d prefer Telmisartan but the price is horrendous.

2 Likes

Lozartan gave me adverse reaction (severe gastritis) after only 1 pill.

1 Like

“Comparison of telmisartan versus losartan: meta-analysis of titration-to-response studies”

I personally take 40 mg telmisartan daily.

1 Like

I used to use losartan as my default “go-to” anti-hypertensive drug for my patients (as well as personally), but feel as though I definitely traded up when I switched to telmisartan. Among telmisartan’s other virtues, it’s effective for BP control with once a day dosing; whereas losartan has a very short half-life and really ought to be taken twice a day. Still, losartan’s uricosuric effects should be acknowledged for people with higher uric acid levels (higher than > 5.5 mg/dL or so in my book), particularly if someone can’t tolerate or shouldn’t take allopurinol for some reason. (For instance allopurinol has been reported to triple a person’s risk for developing bladder cancer, so it might not be a wise choice for those with a significant smoking history.)

4 Likes

I want a family member to start rapamycin, fisetin and quercetin, bc she has been diagnosed with asbestosis lately. She is already on ramipril 1.25mg/ day for her blood pressure.
Bio: 67 years old, 1.60cm tall, 70kg weight, female.

Now we live in Germany and I don’t have a reliable source for rapamycin. Last summer I went to Turkey and bought it there. If customs checks your luggage, it’s gone.

Stack would look like this:

• 5mg rapamune per week
  • 1g quercetin per week
  • 1g fisetin per week
  • 1.25mg ramipril per day

Now, I wonder if grape fruit juice could help to increase the rapamycin availability, so that she could dose only 2mg per week. Problem is the ramipril. Maybe we could do the ramipril at like 6a.m., the GFJ at 10a.m. and the rapamune at 11a.m. which is still not ideal.

What are your thoughts? I know, the responsibility is to 100% on my side. Just asking for feedback. Doctors are involved but not open to new ideas.

3 Likes

You could cut the dosage of rampiril, or take it 6-7 hours after the GFJ to make sure the effect has worn off.

2 Likes

ACE-inhibitors like enalapril, captopril, lisinopril and ramipril have not shown any interaction with grapefruit juice although such an interaction might be possible with angiotensin II type 1 receptor antagonists like losartan and valsartan [18].

Medicinal importance of grapefruit juice and its interaction with various drugs - PMC.

Just found this… Idk

1 Like

Anyone else combining rapamycin and ramipril? On the instruction sheet of ramipril it sais, that you mustn’t combine them?

From here:

3 Likes

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for!
:sunny:

Note that for some reason candesartan did not extend life in the ITP. I find this interesting to compare with the alleged effect of captopril.

I lived in Germany for seven years before the EU. I was always surprised by how stringent Germany was regarding many supplements that were available in the U.S.
I used to go to Holland to get things I couldn’t get in Germany. Their laws were much more relaxed. If that is still the case maybe there are doctors in Holland that would prescribe rapamycin.
There seem to be many holistic and anti-aging doctors in Holland.
Here is one example and they seem to do stem cell treatments. I think they would be open to prescribing rapamycin. They also have an office in Frankfurt.

2 Likes

Arhu is in the Netherlands.

anyone experience increased anxiety a few days after taking Telmisartan? Just wondering if this is something that will subside over time?

1 Like

Amazing! I hope this is true because I just started on 100mg losartan a few months ago for hypertension.

1 Like

Telmisartan has many side effects. I do not have anxiety when taking it. It increases potassium levels, could be hard on kidneys. I take 20 mg every other day and watch my potassium closely.

3 Likes