Alex K. Chen metabolic / CGM progress (my "everything in longevity" thread)

If you’re taking acarbose or canagliflozin you’ll see that same flat blood glucose curve if you eat pretty much anything…

1 Like

Most definitely not with acarbose (it doesn’t blunt the spikes that much).

I just ate a kiwi fruit after a huge meal of celery + nuts (aka a full stomach) and it didn’t increase my BG at all (or only to like 107 and now it’s 92)

1 Like
1 Like

fasting finally fell down to 78. God that last “period of unusually high fasting glucose” was frightening (by casey means’ 88% of americans are metabolically unhealthy standards) but I controlled it. I think I can afford to eat fruit again now! (but only after eating lots of veggies/nuts FIRST)

1 Like

Oddly soluble fiber doesn’t seemed to be considered with the same level of excitement as alpha-glucosidase inhibitors or SGLT-2 inhibitors.

For e.g. I wonder what amount of psyllium consumed prior to a meal is equivalent to 100mg of acarbose, or 300mg of canagliflozin when it comes to blood glucose levels as observed in a CGM (I probably need to buy one already).

1 Like

A side comment… Mike Lustgarten recommends oligosaccharides fructooligosaccharid like Inulin as the best form of fiber:

2 Likes

Hot pot (only veggies). Watermelon towards the end of it. Lots of nuts from time to time. (I do eat to the pt where I’m full)

2 Likes

Is this with use of any medications?

none other than rapamycin/metformin (which don’t really affect my glucose AT ALL)

Nothing interesting hapepned in the next 8 days (I kept my glucose steady and it never spiked) b/c of a constant diet of nuts, veggies, and salsa. But then I got it replaced today (after an entire day of no recording) and FUCK, I ate someone’s chickpeas + strawberries and it spiked ALL the way to 190 before going down to 89 and then back to 132. UGH. I’m going to need this on all the time

I also noticed my blood pressure seems to have gotten to 130/80 recently. in the past, it was ALWAYS 100/60 or 100/70 no matter what I did, even when I did stimulants (or worse… went through psychedelic nightmares) or was under heavy stress. And now THIS? What the fuck is happening… I noticed an increase to like 120/75 when I was in Sweden late November, it seemed that the increase started to happen then (I also gained some weight in the meantime due to all the heavy nut meals…)

2 Likes

Yes - me too. I just purchased a new blood pressure monitor - and my BP is up to 130 or so over 85.

It seems that this may be a side effect of rapamycin. I wonder if the impact varies by dose or dose timing - e.g. is BP higher close to the peak blood sirolimus levels, does the change go away over the week following the dose?

2 Likes

Holy shit really? Yeah, I dosed 10mg rapamycin with grapefruit juice on Jan2 (day before I left ottawa for toronto). 7 days later I had my BP scare…

Its strange that metformin doesn’t impact your blood glucose. Are you taking the XR (extended release) version? Are you taking it twice a day?

1 Like

SGLT2 inhibitors lower BP (you mentioned in another thread that you recently ran out empagliflozin, so maybe that’s why?). At first my BP seemed to go up after starting rapa, but it’s fantastic these days, maybe due to addition of SGLT2 (yet another reason these two seem like such an ideal combination).

1 Like

Wow - very interesting. So I did start using my new Balance Health bluetooth enabled blood pressure monitor just before xmas. So - I just went back to check what the readings were before I ran out of empagliflozin - and you’re absolutely right - my blood pressure was lower when I was on empagliflozin (10mg/day) - except for one deviation right after a cup of coffee/early morning that went to 136/85. Strangely, my resting pulse seems very high now also. Its usually in the mid-60s, but I haven’t been exercising the past two weeks, so that may be part of it.

Here are my December BP Test results left side, January Right Side:

2 Likes

Interestingly - new research on Blood Pressure:

#Dietary #magnesium modifies the association between #vitamin D & #systolic blood pressure

Conclusion: Our research showed that magnesium and vitamin D have an interactive effect in reducing SBP, which may have great importance for clinical medication.

New study:

Grapefruit I used to eat with 10mg rapamycin today spiked it to 135 (along with a whole 760 calorie box of almonds), but quickly went down after. I think grapefruit is safe. EVERYTHING ELSE EQUAL, carbs are the most pro-longevity burning fuel [tho verdict is out on triolein] but ONLY if you don’t increase BG while taking them, so it’s useful to find the foods w/carbs that don’t spike glucose.

Also grapefruit just intuitively seems to be one of the healthier fruits (the other ones are strawberries, lemons/limes, and pomegranate) => more astringent-y/tougher fruits are healthier. I once saw eating 4 cherries spike it up 20 pts (which was scary), as was eating just 4 rice noodles at a toronto chinatown restaurant (I didn’t go beyond that) - that alone spiked it to 130

2 Likes

2 bags of riced cauliflower spiked it briefly to 130 but the decrease was fast. Still, if cauliflower can do that much…

I got my blood pressure cuff in the mail. Idk how accurate it is (I have small arms) but I got 139/96 the first time then 110/90 the second time. Also got my potassium chloride salts in the mail (will use these more).

I was on spironolactone for some time (wanted to suppress androgens even though many say bica is MUCH better) and sometimes wonder if there are spiro withdrawal symptoms…

1 Like

BP at 116/67 now. Thank god… Still higher than it normally is but I’ll see if the effects are prolonged…

1 Like

Yes I also noticed a spike in blood pressure to about 130/80 when I take my Rapamycin. I take my blood pressure readings daily so that’s how I know that after about four days when the half-life ends blood pressure returns to normal.

Thanks for posting that! Do you notice a dose/ response relationship with the rapamycin and blood pressure? What dose of rapamycin are you on?

I’m currently at the 10mg to 12mg/week dosing and my blood pressure seems to be up by 20 points on the top/systolic measure, and about 25 points on the diastolic measure.

I’m wondering if people see higher increases in blood pressure with higher dosing of rapamycin…

1 Like