Alcohol Consumption

I have been scanning the primary source of this information. At best it seems to be dietary guidelines as applied from below. Not much clear data or rationale for how they came to that conclusion of less than one drink. I think it is based on a survey of practitioners.

1 Like

I think it’s best to think of alcohol as an expensive poison. It’s best not to start imbibing it because:

1. It’s expensive.
  2. It’s empty calories that will make you fat.
  3. It’s not healthy for you. (in addition to making you fat)

In all honesty, it’s probably better to go for a soda if you go out for drinks.

2 Likes

As a sideline observer and someone that is almost completely sober… My opinion is to just avoid alcohol except when it goes with certain foods. I would say I consume 1/2 a glass of wine worth’s of alcohol every month. I do prioritize my food over my life :joy:.

1 Like

Related Paper:

Single-site iron-anchored amyloid hydrogels as catalytic platforms for alcohol detoxification

Constructing effective antidotes to reduce global health impacts induced by alcohol prevalence is a challenging topic. Despite the positive effects observed with intravenous applications of natural enzyme complexes, their insufficient activities and complicated usage often result in the accumulation of toxic acetaldehyde, which raises important clinical concerns, highlighting the pressing need for stable oral strategies. Here we present an effective solution for alcohol detoxification by employing a biomimetic-nanozyme amyloid hydrogel as an orally administered catalytic platform. We exploit amyloid fibrils derived from β-lactoglobulin, a readily accessible milk protein that is rich in coordinable nitrogen atoms, as a nanocarrier to stabilize atomically dispersed iron (ferrous-dominated). By emulating the coordination structure of the horseradish peroxidase enzyme, the single-site iron nanozyme demonstrates the capability to selectively catalyse alcohol oxidation into acetic acid, as opposed to the more toxic acetaldehyde. Administering the gelatinous nanozyme to mice suffering from alcohol intoxication significantly reduced their blood-alcohol levels (decreased by 55.8% 300 min post-alcohol intake) without causing additional acetaldehyde build-up. Our hydrogel further demonstrates a protective effect on the liver, while simultaneously mitigating intestinal damage and dysbiosis associated with chronic alcohol consumption, introducing a promising strategy in effective alcohol detoxification.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41565-024-01657-7

Obviously going direct to acetate is better than just speeding up acetaldehyde to acetate. My problem is that because I have a very large number of interventions it is hard, but not impossible, to work out the effects of a single intervention or what causes a particular outcome.

ALP is interesting because elevated ALP is a sign of liver disease and also in the Levine spreadsheet higher ALP implies higher mortality, but actually a small amount of alcohol can reduce ALP.

I have been relatively consistent in my alcohol consumption, but my ALP figure has almost halved over a couple of years.

My other liver markers are also reasonably good.

Still it is always best to go a good few days without any alcohol rather than continually have a small amount.

1 Like

@John_Hemming how would you decide which interventions would go into each of two buckets: (1) continuous supplementation vs (2) intermittent supplementation

It seems safer to dose intermittently to avoid overdose, allow body to reset/ recover from stress of intervention, avoid mixing interventions (spread them out), etc.

But maybe you have some that seem too safe and too good to deprive the body of their supplementation.

Perhaps you consider both the stuff you add (supplement, exercise) and stuff you remove (alcohol, processed food, chemicals in tap water, exposure to air pollution (exposure to automobile traffic).

Thanks

Just like we eat the food according to the seasons, I think there is definitely a way to take the supplements intermittently. How? I don’t know. Just like fasting has it benefits… maybe just abstain when you are fasting.

A lot depends on the mechanism for the intervention.

Obviously there are anabolic periods and catabolic periods. There is the daily circadian cycle. There are the 90 minute ultradian cycle.

Hence the timing of an intervention can be quite precisely defined.

My underlying objective is for my mitochondria to be more efficient. It may be necessary to prop them up with things like methylene blue or D-ribose temporarily, but I want to remove the props from time to time so that my cells don’t tolerate inefficiency.

Hence I go through a process where depending upon test results I change the interventions.

I do have daily doses of things like boron and lithium. Even lithium however is something that might be better cycled. Boron is pretty static.

I am currently experimenting with vitamin D. I have had periods when I dosed with 3000iu. I then changed that to 6000iu and more recently have changed it to 10 drops of 25OHD.

I then am recording my 25OHD serum levels at a point each week from my weekly blood test. That should give an indication as to how best to handle Vitamin D levels over time.

1 Like

@John_Hemming @adriank Yes. That makes sense. I think the main point is we should be mindful of what we are trying to accomplish, and how each chemical (or other) intervention is thought to act to accomplish that goal. For myself, I throw in a pinch of caution to: avoid over doing it with too many things at a time, shifting as many interventions to lifestyle vs drug, and forcing myself to stop to avoid habituation.

1 Like

For anyone who is drinking more alcohol than they want… perhaps a strategy for reduction:

2 Likes

You are probably unique in your scientific approach to harm reduction. But do you accomplish anything on your binges? Do you find that alcohol fuels your creativity? I’m thinking of the well-known association between writers and drinking. Faulkner wrote between but not during binges. Others, such as Edna Millay, Carson McCullers, and Raymond Chandler, sipped or guzzled as they wrote. What does drinking do for you, besides making you feel good?

Interesting, so it’s the Semaglutide. One could add in some metronidazole too for a really good cure. (No, do not do that).

It provides acetate. For about 20 years i played a gig twice a year where i got quite drunk (playing keyboards) during the gig. I dont think it made me more creative, however.

@John_Hemming

I like a good blues band with piano and harmonica. I’ve followed several good bands in several cities, and very few of the musicians drank. Rock bands are a different story.

All I found is that acetates are short-chain fatty acids that “may confer beneficial metabolic effects.” You should probably look at peptides too. But how much do acetates offset the damage done by years of drinking?

Its all a question of measuring things and working out what biomarkers need to shift. Acetate comes from the metabolism of alcohol. Alcohol->acetaldehyde->acetate.

1 Like

It’s like loading up on anti-venom and then exposing your arm to the fangs of a poisonous snake. Seems like a dangerous game.

2 Likes

Is That Drink Worth It to You?

Alcohol is riskier than previously thought, but weighing the trade-offs of health risks can be deeply personal.

More recently, though, research has piled up debunking the idea that moderate drinking is good for you. Last year, a major meta-analysis that re-examined 107 studies over 40 years came to the conclusion that no amount of alcohol improves health; and in 2022, a well-designed study found that consuming even a small amount brought some risk to heart health. That same year, Nature published research stating that consuming as little as one or two drinks a day (even less for women) was associated with shrinkage in the brain — a phenomenon normally associated with aging.

Some governments are responding to the new research by overhauling their messaging. Last year, Ireland became the first country to pass legislation requiring a cancer warning on all alcohol products sold there, similar to those found on cigarettes: “There is a direct link between alcohol and fatal cancers,” the language will read. And in Canada, the government has revised its alcohol guidelines, announcing: “We now know that even a small amount of alcohol can be damaging to health.” The guidelines characterize one to two drinks a week as carrying “low risk” and three to six drinks as carrying “moderate risk.” (Previously the guidelines suggested that women limit themselves to no more than two standard drinks most days, and that men place that limit at three.)

No amount of alcohol is good for you — that much is clear. But one might reasonably ask: Just how bad is it?

Full Article: Is That Drink Worth It to You? (NY Times)

6 Likes

I am happy not to ever drink lol. I am yet to find an alcoholic drink that I enjoy. I prefer soy milk or fruit juices especially ambarella.

5 Likes
1 Like

I like the juice mainly because it is not too sweet… has a kind of refreshing pleasant taste with a hint of bitterness at the end. I am trying to grow them here in the temperate zone… but it is slow here.

1 Like