Alcohol Consumption

I can do both photos:

https://twitter.com/johnhemming4mp/status/1399381767866441728

2020 and 2021.

6 Likes

The guy on the right looks like he has younger skin.
The fit person seems like he’s tanning as well.

People who tend to trend towards wanting to be healthier has more unprotected sun exposure maybe.

1 Like

Great photos @John_Hemming

Wow, looks great John :ok_hand:

1 Like

It is a bit old but wanted my two cents. As far as alcohol goes I think it depends a lot on how much you consume and what kind of alcohol. Where I come from it is almost as a 100% for every man (even some woman) to start the day with a Turkish coffee and 1.5 drink 50ml of homemade grape brandy(organically grown). I know at least 5-10 people who were always on this schedule and lived from 95-99 years old without doing anything in particular to live that long, and without ever being to a hospital. When i would talk to a couple of them what has contributed to their long healthy life, they all said that they think having a shot or two of brandy in the morning was the reason for their good health and long life. Obviously, this is not scientific, but thought I would mention it. The thing that they all had in common with this regimen was that it was customary to only have that (coffee and brandy) for breakfast with no food. Perhaps it was the fact that they skipped breakfast that helped them live healthy and long, but definitely that much alcohol (about 50ml per day) did not do any harm to their health. On the flip side I know also a few who passed young and died from alcohol, but they were drinking more like 5-10 drinks (to us a drink is 50ml) per day.

I also think I heard the Johnson dude (the guy that looks like a 50-year-old sworn virgin lady, again these were pretty common from where I come from, for kicks google “sworn virgins” LOL) mentioning that he has a shot of alcohol in the morning.
Clearly, I am not advocating that you should start drinking if you don’t drink but that is my two cents. I just happened to hate the taste of all alcohol except beer (even that i rarely drink it) but If I liked the taste of it, I would definitely drink one shot of grape brandy each morning. BTW once in a while I do drink it but it is at times that literally my body craves it, for me it usually happens once a week to maybe once every two weeks. Weirdly enough when that happens (that i crave a shot of brandy) it tastes as if it something made in haven even though alcohol tastes abhorrent to me all other days. Weird I know but it goes to show how we are all made so different.

We know in detail how alcohol is metabolized and its effects on cells. To my knowledge, there are no currently respected studies showing any improvement in any health marker from any quantity of alcohol. As someone who does like to drink, I hate writing that, but the data seem pretty solid.

I suspect the phenomenon you talk about is probably due more to the pleasure/fulfillment/what have you of the ritual itself, and/or related practices, rather than the alcohol.

1 Like

Can’t argue either way, just a simple observation. Definitely many other factors at play, and as I mentioned above the fact of skipping breakfast (eating less food) being one of these factors also.

Nevertheless, while 95-100 seems a decent stretch of time to live, to me that is not long. I consider anything over 105 and still healthy as being unusually long life.

Neither LOL. The one on the left too many wrinkles (wish I had his body though), the one on the right too fat Hahaaa

I hear you. It is an interesting observation. I love brandy.

Both of my grandmothers are still alive. One is 94 and still lives by herself, one is 93 and has some help come in for a couple hours a day to make her take her medicine and help with housework. Hopefully I’ve got their genes and rapamycin can get me to 100+ in decent shape.

1 Like

I’m sure you’ll be just fine. The name of the game seems to be “moderation” on everything not just alcohol.

1 Like

On the other hand acetate is useful to the body. In cells ACCS2 converts acetate into acetyl-CoA.

Ethanol is metabolised to acetaldehyde which metabolises to acetate.

Both alcohol and caffeine are bad news for anyone with acid reflux. Both can either cause the condition or make it worse.

I like your thinking, John!

“Up to 80% of people with chronic alcoholism develop thiamin deficiency because ethanol reduces gastrointestinal absorption of thiamin, thiamin stores in the liver, and thiamin phosphorylation. […]
Even high doses of oral thiamin supplements might not be effective in raising blood thiamin levels.” Source

Chronic heavy drinking can also cause more general malnutrition with decreased absorption of various vitamins and minerals.

People who engage in frequent heavy drinking might wish to monitor Vitamin B1 levels when they have periodic blood work (thiamin). If it comes up low, more complete vitamin and mineral panels can be done.

“Early symptoms of thiamin deficiency are vague. They include fatigue, irritability, poor memory, loss of appetite, sleep disturbances, abdominal discomfort, and weight loss.” Source

3 Likes
4 Likes

I would rather smoke a little bit of weed than drink alcohol.
A joint with dinner rather than a glass of wine.

3 Likes

I notice on my Fitbit report that my sleep quality and stress management scores are negatively impacted by about 10 points on days I have just one drink/serving of alcohol. It happens every single time so it’s just not worth it to me. Coming from a family of heavy drinkers I suppose I should consider it a blessing.

6 Likes

Yes, I’ve definitely noticed that same effect measured on my Oura ring.

1 Like

I saw this today…

When you go out drinking, you may want to grab some of this.

6 Likes