Age1 Venture Capital Launches New Youtube Channel on Longevity & Biotech

Can you translate above - I don’t understand what you are trying to say

2 Likes

Selenium supplementation inhibits IGF-1 signaling and confers methionine restriction-like healthspan benefits to mice - PubMed Selenium supplementation will lower IGF-1 to mimicking methionine restriction diet.

3 Likes

Thanks (yeah, we just want to over do it, but I eat a couple of Brazil nuts).

I was not putting a lot of faith in the theories from certain type of longevity enthusiasts. They are being proven right, possibly with IGF-1, but most assuredly with lipids. So they were better than I was expecting them to be.

1 Like

FWIW this is not me speaking on behalf of age1 - and I do think Loyal’s thesis of inhibiting IGF in unusually large dog breeds is sound.

The rationale I’ve seen for inhibiting growth hormone in adulthood has been sparse; there was this paper that showed mild positive lifespan effect for female mice starting with GH inhibition at 6mo, but that would not compel me to start taking a drug that has a similar mechanism of action.

2 Likes

Thanks Alex. Seems like the downside risks are quite low… I’ve yet to see any negative reports on lower GH/IGF1 levels. I could imagine trying this on a pulsed basis just to see the effects on bloodwork, etc. given the low price of octreotide.

Growth hormone receptor gene disruption in mature‐adult mice improves male insulin sensitivity and extends female lifespan

We previously demonstrated that GHR ablation starting at puberty (1.5 months), improved insulin sensitivity and female lifespan but results in markedly reduced body size. In this study, we investigated the effects of GHR disruption in mature‐adult mice at 6 months old (6mGHRKO). These mice exhibited GH resistance (reduced IGF‐1 and elevated GH serum levels), increased body adiposity, reduced lean mass, and minimal effects on body length. Importantly, 6mGHRKO males have enhanced insulin sensitivity and reduced neoplasms while females exhibited increased median and maximal lifespan. Furthermore, fasting glucose and oxidative damage was reduced in females compared to males irrespective of Ghr deletion. Overall, disrupted GH action in adult mice resulted in sexual dimorphic effects suggesting that GH reduction at older ages may have gerotherapeutic effects.

2 Likes