Addition of inulin to probiotic yogurt: Viability of probiotic bacteria and sensory characteristics

2 Likes

More good news on Inulin and short chain fatty acids:

Conclusion: Low fecal concentrations of SCFAs were associated with visceral obesity, and the gut microbiota might be involved in the underlying mechanism.

1 Like

Short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), the main metabolites produced in the colon by bacterial fermentation of dietary fibers and resistant starch, are speculated to play a key role in neuro-immunoendocrine regulation

1 Like

More new research on short chain fatty acids (and why I add inulin to my smoothies):

Here, we summarize the current understanding of SCFAs in hypertension, ischaemic reperfusion, myocardial infarction, atherosclerosis and heart failure. Most SCFAs exert positive effects in regulating related diseases. Butyrate and propionate can reduce blood pressure, improve I/R injury and decrease the risk of coronary artery disease (CAD) and atherosclerosis. Acetate can also play a positive role in regulating hypertension and preventing atherosclerosis, and malonate can improve cardiac function after MI. They affect these diseases by regulating inflammation, the immune system and related G protein-coupled receptors, with multiple neurohumoural regulation participation.

1 Like

I just ordered some. I’m going to try adding it to my (water) kefir and maybe kombucha too in the 2nd ferment and see how it turns out…

Been making yogurt enhanced with inulin for about two years now, after reading the book of William Davis, MD. His recent summary of the history of his yogurt is below:

You do not have to read his book. How to make the yogurt is found below:

1 Like

Where do you get the 10 tablets of BioGaia Gastrus,?

I have some and tried making the reuteri yoghurt for a while too but it’s such a hassle and it’s not very good. It had a very inconsequent flavour from batch to batch too leading me to believe I was growing different micro organisms. Kefir from real Kefir grains is much easier, tastes better and will contain several strains of L reuteri and many other probiotics too

FWIW

That is an older article.

Purchase the active cluture starter.

The book is well worth reading.

1 Like

You need to control temperature 100 degrees Fahrenheit +or- 1 degree not good and must ferment for 36 hours not less

I doubt that this is the ATCC PTA 6475 (the interesting strain from the biogaia gastrus tablets) as it’s patented or whatever sort of intellectual property concept lawyers came of Biogaia

You need to control temperature 100 degrees Fahrenheit +or- 1 degree not good and must ferment for 36 hours not less

it’s difficult, kefir, water kerfir and kombucha are all much easier, faster and more forgiving cultures to work with and actually taste good…

You will need to use a water bath, Sous vide method. If you use a milk product it must be ½ and½. This is covered in detail in his book. The SuperFood Starter Culture L. Reuteri is the real item, as Davis was involved in having it produced and manufactured.

FWIW all commercial produced bacterial cluture are manufactured and produced with IP protection. Any commerical product is not a in the wild strain cluture.

CRISPR originated / is from the yogurt culture/bacteria industry.

Thanks for the new starter Joseph. I have been using the original recommended probiotic of William Davis, MD

I use the Instant Pot, which has a yogurt maker function. I start with ten tabs, as the article says. Then on subsequent fermentations, I use three tabs, and one cup of the previous yogurt. That makes the bottle last months. I also just use plain whole milk, not half and half. I might try that next batch, because the yogurt I produce is a bit watery. I want the thickness of Siggi’s.

Thirty six hours is too tart for me. Even 24 hours is tart. I just eat it plain. But I mix three grams of glycine powder, for sweetness, and as my daily intake of glycine. I take about 3/4 cup daily.

Oops. I will stick to BioGaia. That has the specific strain that Dr. Davis recommends.

“L. reuteri ATCC PTA 6475 and L. reuteri DSM 17938”

The other starter just says Lactobacillus reuteri, not mentioning the strain. Strain matters. As Dr. Davis explains:

"Those of you who have been following my discussions recognize that, in the world of microbes, strain can matter. Don’t stifle a yawn: this can be important, especially if you desire extravagant, life- and health-changing benefits.

My favorite illustration of the potential importance of microbial strains: You have E.coli living in your gastrointestinal (GI) tract, your family has E. coli, your friends and co-workers have E. coli. But eat lettuce contaminated with E. coli from cow manure and you can die of E. coli—same species, different strain."

FWIW from the article you posted.

“Also note; we have spoken directly with BioGaia in Sweden who are the manufactures of the L Reuteri probiotic, and they themselves strongly point out that L Reuteri was not designed or developed for making yogurt.”

That is why Davis was involved in the other starter culture strain. The information in his most current book.

1 Like