Acne induced by Rapamycin solutions?

I’m on my 2nd week of Rapamycin (1mg once a week) and my acne is getting worse. Getting zits in spots I never usually get them. Does anyone have any ways to deal with this or does it improve with continued use of Rapamycin?

1 Like

It won’t improve, it’ll get worse - reduce the dose of rapamycin or increase the breaks.

2 Likes

If you reduce the dose does your body eventually become accustomed to it and the acne stops? I’m currently at 1 mg a week there’s only one dosage lower than that.

2 Likes

Everyone is different… It’s hard to predict. At least you can easily increase the time between dosing, from once a week to once every two weeks, etc. your body may adjust.

I have gotten a mouth sore once at 4mg/week, paused it for a while and then restarted and did not have a problem again. Your experience may differ. Also, search the forums in “acne” and see other people’s experiences.

5 Likes

In my experience I believe my body got accustomed: I got terrible (and very ugly) skin eruption ( always on same spot) from 1 mg … so went very very slow ( started in April and didn’t continue ( with 1 mg) until eruption had cleared up : sometimes this meant a month or more without taking Rapamune.

I only recently could ramp up till 3 mg , and given that I didnt have any skin issues ( just sleep issues) the 3 times I took 3 mg (with 10 day break more or less), this week I took 4 mg for the first time and so far so good :crossed_fingers::sweat_smile:

The only constant issue that I still have is bad sleep the days after taking it (only once I didn’t have a bad night after taking it in the morning and doing a 2 hour sauna visit at night with constant warm cold plunges and a massage - but I tried to repeat this and didn’t work the second time )

So would not be in a hurry and take it at your own pace , listening to your body :relaxed:

1 Like

after doing research I found people deal with this by either cycling Minocycline or low dose Accutane (10 mg, 3x a week which my derm was very against prescribing). Minocycline according to my derm is safe to take long term. She also gave me a sulpha face wash that gets rid of oil and dirt.

2 Likes

I’m guessing you’re younger? Rapamycin does aggravate acne, but does the acne itself mean that the person is back to puberty? I myself experienced acne after taking rapamycin, but it didn’t seem to worsen any part of my skin other than the bedbugs. I’ve read several papers that say that Acinetobacter can increase oil production in the skin, thus making it less prone to wrinkles or discoloration. That’s the only way I can console myself that I’m ok with the side effects compared to the benefits of Rapa.

1 Like

Puberty is hormonal changes that occur when a child becomes an adult. Assuming we’re all adults puberty doesn’t seem like the logical conclusion. Acne can be caused by hormonal changes in adulthood that aren’t necessarily puberty-induced (think athletes who abuse steroids). Other people on the forums have experienced negative side effects that have gone away after resetting or lowering dosages, Mayo Clinic claims that a lot of symptoms caused by Sirolimus go away with time. I would suggest talking to a doctor if symptoms persist sometimes these symptoms might signal something concerning.

2 Likes

Watch these videos… Bryan Johnson is having the same issue and seems to have solved it:

3 Likes

I think it’d be smarter to get Accutane from a dermatologist (if you can find one that will experiment with you because they don’t typically prescribe it long-term or in small doses like Bryan Johnson is taking) because it requires consistent blood work to ensure none of the more severe side-effects come into play. I also am not sure about Accutane as a solution, because for some people Rapamycin can cause dry skin, which Accutane can exacerbate. After all, it also causes dry skin by reducing oil production. I think Minocycline is a safer solution for this. My dermatologist also gave me an anti-bacterial facial cleanser that reduces oil and dirt, but it was $60 with insurance versus $12 for 30 Minocycline pills. A cleanser or Minocycline is probably a lower-risk solution.

2 Likes

Taking accutane and/or any antibiotic for acne will hugely mess up your gut. You will eventually have a whole slew of new symptoms to clean up due to the imbalances in your body and metabolic chaos that will ensue. Be careful!

1 Like

Gooby, This link is a long discussion about Rapamycin and acne: Rapamycin and Acne

1 Like

I agree with those who say antibiotics are not the answer or indeed any further prescription drugs. There has to be better ways…
Most skin disease including acne is essentially inflammation so it is possible to reduce this inflammation with topicals with basic science evidence from natural substances.
I’m on 6mg/week rapa and use nad booster cream from renuebyscience.com for 2 years. Skin has never been better. For local odd skin infections or acne I mix broken caps of liposomal turmeric novasol with vaseline and occlude the area with dressing overnight- gone by next day. For mouth ulcers and gingivitis I bite novasol liposomal turmeric capsule and allow the liquid contents to bathe the affected part of oral mucosa as long as I can without swallowing. Again gone by next day.

2 Likes